#baffles and low/high pitch suppression designs?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

VX666

#baffles and low/high pitch suppression designs?

Post by VX666 »

One of the things I noticed using various suppressors and examining thier designs is that;

The shorter and higher quantity of baffled produces a higher pitch sound

Vs fewer baffles and longer ones which produce deeper sounds

I haven't measured though, but the higher pitched ones with more baffles sound "louder" to me

Does anyone have experience with more vs fewer baffle designs? I studied most of this with 9mm suppressor designs
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Re: #baffles and low/high pitch suppression designs?

Post by John A. »

Not unlike a car muffler, those short glass packs like what is on dirt bikes with few or no baffles in them are loud.

Those big fat long car mufflers, usually are a lot more quiet.

That's about the only way that I can describe it.
I don't care what your chart says
SILENCERSTUDENT

Post by SILENCERSTUDENT »

this is y theres more to suppression then decibel readings... a higher decibel can with a low tone vs a lower decibel can but with high prequency tone can be precived as being louder, however there r also high enough frequencies humans cant hear as well so there has been some thought to attempting to make suppressors tuned for specific frequencies
VX666

Post by VX666 »

Okay , so at what point is too many baffles... too many baffles?

Is there and baffle spacing between baffles to diameter ratio that is "optimal"?
ECCO Machine
Silent But Deadly

Post by ECCO Machine »

VX666 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:37 am Okay , so at what point is too many baffles... too many baffles?

Is there and baffle spacing between baffles to diameter ratio that is "optimal"?
There's no universal answer for your question, far too many variables.

The number of baffles and optimal spacing depend on can diameter & length, baffle style, cartridges to be suppressed, and even what host it will be used on. I have suppressor designs ~5" in length with as few as 4 and as many as 12 baffles.
FFL07/02SOT Gunsmith & Machinist
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Suppressors designed for supersonic ammo are often different than subsonic ones in the number of baffles used.Only a few of them can truly do justice on super & subs.Longer larger tubes even empty ones tend to attenuate low frequency's better than short ones.High frequency's may sound loud up close but don't travel as far as low longer wavelength ones. Lastly suppressors today are available in a huge number of variations from sound moderators to maximum suppression units.
Without setting up some controlled tests I'm not sure how you can arrive at any conclusion?
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
VX666

Post by VX666 »

ECCO Machine wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:14 am I have suppressor designs ~5" in length with as few as 4 and as many as 12 baffles.
Don't suppose I can get your commentary / opinion on your designs with more and less baffles?

1. How do YOU like the sounds of low vs high pitch?

2. Do more or less baffles produce more or less blowback?

3. Failure to cycle or other failure/issues associated with more or less baffles?

Thanks in advance
ECCO Machine
Silent But Deadly

Post by ECCO Machine »

VX666 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:47 am

Don't suppose I can get your commentary / opinion on your designs with more and less baffles?

1. How do YOU like the sounds of low vs high pitch?

2. Do more or less baffles produce more or less blowback?

3. Failure to cycle or other failure/issues associated with more or less baffles?

Thanks in advance
Low. I think anyone would. lower frequency sounds are not only less offensive at a given SPL, but actually less harmful.

On #2 & #3, too many variables, no simple answer exists. The quantity of baffles alone does not dictate whether a design is high or low backpressure.
FFL07/02SOT Gunsmith & Machinist