Smart phones and their sound level apps.

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

TXscooterguy

Smart phones and their sound level apps.

Post by TXscooterguy »

Has anyone tried using their smart phone to gauge the sound reduction their suppressor gave them? I loaded the NIOSH app and will give it a "shot."
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Re: Smart phones and their sound level apps.

Post by a_canadian »

Yes, tried a few apps, on a few different smartphone models/brands. None has been capable of metering even the noise level of a relatively quiet airgun accurately, and certainly not a firearm. Jesse James infamously boasted of an 88dB reading for 5.56 through his sweet potato suppressor, which is ridiculous, considering the bolt dropping on an AR-15 meters between 105 and 110dB. If the app and more importantly the phone's microphone had been anything close to useful he would have picked up the bolt noise at least. But the microphones aren't designed for this use. They are too slow to respond to peak values.
TXscooterguy

Post by TXscooterguy »

NIOSH recommends the use of an external mic with their app. I think I found one that they recommend. I'll report back after I have data.
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

A_Canadian is right. There are only a very few sound meters in the world that measure fast enough to capture the peak sound pressure level of a gunshot. Results will vary wildly but basically smartphone apps are of no use to us in this hoppy
TXscooterguy

Post by TXscooterguy »

You're absolutely correct. A shot without the can and a shot with the can gave the same reading. According to the RO, the can made a significant difference. I wish I had hard data.
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

TXscooterguy wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:30 pm I wish I had hard data.
I'd say your best bet is here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=158447