“Solvent traps”

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

“Solvent traps”

Post by 9245 »

The idea of waiting 7 months to a year for some lazy fed to get around to finally doing 30 seconds of paperwork, of being deliberately made to wait a completely arbitrary and excessive period of time in general just for the sake of waiting, for no other reason than to make practicing a constitutional right as difficult as possible to discourage me from doing so fills me with a burning rage. Even if I were “patient” enough to wait (which I am not), every day that went by would compound my rage even more. Bottom line, I don’t want to go the form 4 route, I would rather do a form 1 and get it done in 30 days than a form 4 and have it take 300. In the same breath though, I am not a machinist, have only basic hand tools, am not that mechanically skilled, nor do I know enough about suppressor design to actually build one from scratch, I COULD however adapt something existing or use pre made parts, hence why the “solvent traps” look effective to me, drill a hole and instant suppressor. But how well do they actually work? Does the Chineseum mystery pot metal they are built with actually hold up? Anyone ever try it?

Would it actually be legal to possess one (undrilled) before an approved form 1 comes back, or would I have to wait to order one once the paperwork got approved? If not, how could I be sure of the measurements?
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Re: “Solvent traps”

Post by jlwilliams »

You will get s--t results from a "solvent trap" kit. Form 1 is great if you have a lathe and skills. Sucks if you don't.

Buy one and wait. You wait months then own it for decades.
1badbagger

Post by 1badbagger »

jlwilliams wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:34 pm You will get s--t results from a "solvent trap" kit.
I ordered one but I'm wondering why you would say this? I ordered one made of titanium.

What db. difference do you think I will realistically see between the "solvent trap" kit I ordered and will finish myself and the YHM Phantom titanium I bought for nearly $1,000.00 some years ago?
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

It really depends on which solvent trap you order, concerning the quality of metal and how it's been worked. I had a friend of a friend bring me one which he intended to use on a 10/22, thing was 1" OD and 5.5" long and the end caps were neatly threaded, the rear face perpendicular to the shoulder on the barrel of his rifle so it lined up well. But the 'cups' inside were kind of sad. Obviously stamp formed with matching dies, they seemed to be stainless steel with a thin coat of fairly durable black paint and about 0.025" thick. They stacked neatly enough, and I guess so long as the guy doesn't use the hottest loads they'll hold up for a while, but beyond drilling them out and filing in tiny clips to help with distributing pressure flow there wasn't a lot I could do for him. It suppresses alright. Nothing brilliant, but usable without hearing protection. He's happy as it doesn't disturb the chickens on the farm where he does some bunny pesting. But I wouldn't recommend a kit like that.

I ordered a different one last year just out of idle curiosity. Dumb thing to do, as it never arrived and probably put me on page 872 of some massive watch list, something the RCMP can consult when they have an idle hour or two and need to bust a bad guy. That one was 7075 aluminum, 1.5" OD with 0.125" walls and 8 x 1.25" diameter K baffles to fit in the 9" OAL tube. Well not baffles, as they needed drilling to make them such, and porting to make them perform, but it seemed to me with the decent looking machine work and threaded end caps it might make a decent 'cleaning kit' for my 9mm carbine. Oh well, I've machined something else for that job, not a big deal. But if you could find something like that, you may well have the beginnings of a very decent suppressor. That one was from Singapore, but of course the eBay seller no longer exists. Maybe I got lucky and the container just washed overboard and some fishes have it to play with, not the boys in red serge.
alordnapa
Silent But Deadly

Post by alordnapa »

I think it is pretty evident that even an untrained monkey can make a serviceable, but perhaps not great, suppressor from a Solvent Trap ( They are not suppressor "kits" because that might demonstrate the intent to manufacture a suppressor, or worse, constructive possession, and that...would be naughty! ) Clearly, "Solvent Traps" range from Chinesium flavored abortions to Titanium works of art, and many a unit has been made by a hillbilly with a hand drill and a hacksaw. I suppose when the zombies are attacking and you build your own out of Maglights and Freeze plugs, the only really constructive and relevant criticism is whether it results in your brain being eaten. Really, when you start comparing professionally manufactured cans vs homebuilt cans as a class, are they all that different in performance? It's just a muffler, not a nuclear reactor.
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

1badbagger wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:25 pm
jlwilliams wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:34 pm You will get s--t results from a "solvent trap" kit.
I ordered one but I'm wondering why you would say this? I ordered one made of titanium.

What db. difference do you think I will realistically see between the "solvent trap" kit I ordered and will finish myself and the YHM Phantom titanium I bought for nearly $1,000.00 some years ago?
Granted, there are a lot of options and some are better than others. I bought two and decided they weren't worth finishing. Your mileage may vary.
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

I have several form 1 silencers built from solvent traps. Some of the baffles are works of art and are as good or better than anything you'll find in a commercial can. I finish mine with a lathe so the holes are bored true and I clip with a mill. Its all about how much effort you put into it. The Cerberus baffles and the PPA radial baffles or even the match grade customs or quell tech modular sections are like little man jewels. I'll put most of my cans against any commercial can any day of the week.
Putting the laughter in manslaughter
1badbagger

Post by 1badbagger »

jlwilliams wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:25 pm

Granted, there are a lot of options and some are better than others. I bought two and decided they weren't worth finishing. Your mileage may vary.
I took YUGO's advice and bought the Solvent trap he recommended and has on order currently.
1badbagger

Post by 1badbagger »

Feel free to post up the 2 you bought that weren't worth finishing and save someone else the headache.
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

1badbagger wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:41 pm

Feel free to post up the 2 you bought that weren't worth finishing and save someone else the headache.

I'll post pics when I dig them out. They are among a bunch of stuff that's in a storage unit. I tried to dig them out when I heard rumor that people were getting contacted by The Man over them. Not sure if it's true but figured I should have them if I'm asked. Anyway, they weren't in the box I thought I put them in.

I'll take another look.

Eta, maybe I should look into the ones Yugo had good luck with.
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

Heres the ones I really like. The 60 degree Cerberus wavelocks. They lock together and its impossible for them to rotate once compressed, The clips will always align if you do your job of clipping them correctly . Ti and SS baffles. Heres the rub. Cerberus is going out of business and the stock they have left is all they have left.

https://www.cerberusmfg.com/product-pag ... wheel-pack
d_lish

Post by d_lish »

I made a 300 blackout can from "solvent trap" parts, 200 bucks in parts and quieter than my buddy's Dead Air :D
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

Cheap and they wont last long...

https://www.cerberusmfg.com/shop
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

YugoRPK wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:16 pm https://www.cerberusmfg.com/shop
As of Dec 1, 2020; this website no longer exists.

It's a pity, if they made good products. I guess it just wasn't worth it to them any more. Maybe too much Gov't investigation and Records Reporting?

Or they sold to someone else, no longer had the time and interest to run it?
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
Blowhard

Post by Blowhard »

I'd be interested as well now that they are gone. Anyone else had good luck with their solvent trap supplier?
alordnapa
Silent But Deadly

Post by alordnapa »

These nice people said they would sell me anything I need: www.batfestingoperations.com
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

alordnapa wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:43 pm These nice people said they would sell me anything I need: www.batfestingoperations.com
www.batfestingoperations.com wrote:Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site.

We can’t connect to the server at www.batfestingoperations.com.
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

Cerberus is gone. A lot of sellers are going out of business. The ATF is going around scaring the hell out of sellers most of whom are just resellers or sell contract built parts from small machine shops and dont have the nerve to tell the ATF to stick it.
alordnapa
Silent But Deadly

Post by alordnapa »

whiterussian1974 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:23 pm
alordnapa wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:43 pm These nice people said they would sell me anything I need: www.batfestingoperations.com

That's okay, you are already on their mailing list.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

alordnapa wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:25 am
whiterussian1974 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:23 pm

That's okay, you are already on their mailing list.
BATFE Sting Operations has me on their mailing list?
I used TOR inside of a Virtual Machine. So good for them.
Maybe NSA will offer me a job. :mrgreen:

OR maybe....I already work for another alphabet agency.... :twisted:
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

WR, I so appreciate your incisive replys such as"
"...OR maybe....I already work for another alphabet agency."

Those who have never been in, let alone been brushed by the community,
have 'head-on-a-swivel' trepidation fostered by TV.

So reminiscent in the 60's hearing pompus 'experts'
in gun stores regale those around with their expertise on 'stopping power'.
correct weapon, while looking around with narrowed eyes to spot who might
be ready to pounce on them with cuffs if an incorrect phrase was mentioned.

Could it be perhaps under the law of unintended consequences
that the ATF's brow beating dealers of cheap ChiCom 'solvent traps' arises
from their actually caring for the safety of the uninformed from a product
whose down side far outweighs the self-regulating psychological fear
fostered by TV shows. Hmm. Perhaps every solvent trap really does have a
microwave tracking device and every viewer of the NFA channel
on suppressors is having their computer camera turned on.
You never know. :)

Long ago in a far away place resourceful folks made more efficient cans
than 'solvent traps' from scraps lying around, including bamboo.

Best, my friend.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

An astute member pointed out this fun YouTube
bamboo 'suppressor' as follow up to above.

I had to chuckle. First thought that came up
was how would he fill out forms to get approval
and where to engrave serial number. :) :)

<< https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBu-Fe1D2eA >>

In jungles downed air frame metal and bamboo
were made into innovative devices. So long ago.

Interesting History: On Okinawa long ago Samurai Law prescribed the death sentence
for making or having Sai's* that could defeat Katana attacks. They do
furnish nice home defense 'rods' that are easy to master. Truly silenced in addition.

* << http://www-cs.canisius.edu/~cody2/Libra ... se/Sai.htm >>
<< https://www.e-bogu.com/Octagonal-Sai-Ch ... ome-18.htm >>
0101silent
Silent But Deadly

Post by 0101silent »

"OR maybe....I already work for another alphabet agency...."
If I had one guess using your avatar as a clue... FBI, Female Body Inspector. Or is that TSA?
Whiterussian is probably a very senior member with his experience in prisons and massage parlors. :D
Whenever a junior Female Body Inspector isn't sure if its a female or not they call in the expert whiterussian for a thorough investigation and determination.🙂
"Don't worry rookies! I'll get to the bottom of this!"
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

LOL! Historian and 0101silent my old buddies!
You both are delightfully clever and hilarious. :mrgreen:

Now my cover is blown. No more undercover work at Massage Parlors.
Instead of TSA, I applied to US Customs. When a body scan isn't enough, they call in us GS-11s to make those "thorough" invasive exams. 8)

"Don't worry Troops, I'll get to this's bottom!" ROFLMAO!!! :P

When I was arrested for prescribing Controlled Substances, I explained that I was an honorary Doctor of Library Science. They replied, "Not THAT kind of Doctor." :roll:
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

whiterussian1974 wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:06 am
Now my cover is blown. No more undercover work at Massage Parlors.
Your towel boy days are behind you my friend. :lol:
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895