cheaper then dirt stops all online gun sales

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

jackson
Silent But Deadly

cheaper then dirt stops all online gun sales

Post by jackson »

i will never purchase any thing from them again, cowards!its posted on there web page.
nice shot
Silent But Deadly

Re: cheaper then dirt stops all online gun sales

Post by nice shot »

jackson wrote:i will never purchase any thing from them again, cowards!its posted on there web page.
I agree, Im no longer a customer either.
YHM 7.62 Phantom QD
T.I. Stratus .22
AAC Eco-9
YHM15 SBR (pending)
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

What is with all of these mindless anti-CTD posts on the forums?

In case you haven't noticed, almost every gun shop in the USA is out of inventory of "evil rifles" and online sales have likely sucked ALL inventory from many places.... including CTD. You don't think the HAVE to shut things down to get control of internet traffic and adjust prices and strategy for a product that they can likely NOT get back in stock anytime soon? That is, if they EVER can get something back in stock? In case you haven't figured it out... when the manufacturers ship more inventory plan on that rifle going to fill contractual obligations previously made and then any left over to the highest bidder... and it probably ain't going to be you or me.

What a bunch of emotional garbage on here and other gun forums.

Time to grow up. It is just business. When things go DEFCON 4 a business has to take action quickly. Once the hurricane passes and things seek a new level CTD will be back with whatever they can get in stock.

Crimey.

What is next, we going to burn down the grocery store if they run out of milk?

If this is any indication of the emotional intelligence level of the nation we are in serious trouble.

Please, we would love to have you back to rational thought. Soon.
-----
Ick
jackson
Silent But Deadly

Post by jackson »

hey ick,check things out before you post.i called cheaper than dirt and ask why no gun sales and reason being it was told due to recent tragic events they have decided no more online gun sales.maybe you an rnab,and desert rat can write some letters to your congressman.nothing being said we have run out of guns.you wouldnt see a muddy elephant in the snow.and do come back when you know what the hell you are talking about.
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

Then you got snowed.

Apparently you talked to someone that can't tell their boot from a SCAR stock. Their own site says they will be back. Don't believe the garbage, and don't feed the idiocy.

You remember how back in high school when a freshman asks an upper-classmen for directions he is given directions in the opposite direction? There you go.
-----
Ick
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

SCAR with stock
SCAR with boot
Doubloon's favorite Boots
Last edited by ick on Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
-----
Ick
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

ick wrote:Image

Think that would take the "kick" out of a gun shot or just put more in it???
I've gotta stop this habit.
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

Instead of getting emotional and feeding the beast by voting for the destruction of a pro-gun retailer.... perhaps we should all just order an extra firing pin, and extra cam pin, and extra bolt... for the rifles we already have... and say a prayer of thanksgiving that most of us here were wise enough to already have purchased a firearm long ago.
-----
Ick
jackson
Silent But Deadly

Post by jackson »

gee ick i wish only i was as smart as you.walmart,dicks sporting good,s and dunhams must all be waiting on guns also.who the hell said anything about the destruction of a pro gun retailer other than you.and thanks for the pictures.as far as asking question back in high school and getting sent in the wrong direction sounds like you are talking from experience because i sure dont remember that happening to me.
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

lol. I was a bit harsh there.

The problem with CTD is overload. Either way, your anger is clearly misplaced. CTD is not the problem. Focus your energy on a letter campaign to politicians.
-----
Ick
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/forums/p ... stID=35659

Subject: Cheaper Than Dirt! Press Release
Cheaper Than Dirt! Temporarily Suspends Online Firearm Sales Pending Policy Review: Fort Worth, Texas, USA – December 19, 2012 – Cheaper Than Dirt! recently announced that it was temporarily suspending online sales of firearms pending a review of its order processing and procedures. Well-known for its ability to process and ship orders within 24 hours, online sales have skyrocketed to a point where it may take up to 72 hours for firearms and other items to ship.

"In light of recent events, we believe it is prudent to review our policies and procedures to ensure we can continue to provide the products and firearms our customers demand," said Chief Operations Officer Roberta Wilson. "We will resume online sales once we update our process and continue as we have always done by shipping firearms only to FFL dealers."

Ms. Wilson closed with, "As a long-time supporter of the Second Amendment, we will continue to serve the needs of the firearms community while ensuring
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cheaper- ... 3502860632
https://www.facebook.com/cheaperthandirt?ref=ts&fref=ts

Actually, the water is muddy here. It's not clear which of the two scenarios happened:

1> A CTD issued a new policy as a result to political pandering and caved to anti-2nd amendment types, but then did a mediocre job at turning it around and scrubbing the record (by adding mud to the water).

2> CTD had a legitimate backlog and instituted a stop-gap/order suspension process until bugs could be worked out. It was taken by opportunist anti-2nd amendment crowd and worked against the pro-2nd amendment folks like us.

Either way, don't hang-em out just yet. Find out what really happened.
Last edited by Libertarian_Geek on Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
MV10
Silent But Deadly

Post by MV10 »

jackson wrote:who the hell said anything about the destruction of a pro gun retailer other than you.
There are three CTD threads floating around here right now. I assumed he was thinking of the other one where somebody suggested that ordering a lot of catalogs might drive them out of business (apparently that person has never priced [taxpayer-supported] USPS bulk mail service).

However, I'd also say CTD's "pro-gun retailer" status is at least a bit questionable right now. Their own site did say they were terminating online sales over THINK OF THE CHILDREN issues.

Sure they have the right to do whatever they want.

And I have the right to conclude they're assholes with whom I will no longer conduct business.

Lib Geek, maybe I have misinterpreted something, but it sounds to me like they realized they fucked up and they're trying to backpedal from the bad press as fast as they can:
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/forums/p ... stID=35657
Modern American political discourse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpAOwJvTOio
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

MV10 wrote:
Lib Geek, maybe I have misinterpreted something, but it sounds to me like they realized they fucked up and they're trying to backpedal from the bad press as fast as they can:

That's a very possible scenario. If it's true, then I'm thinking they deserve no quarter.
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

Only time will tell what comes of this. I'm hoping it was a case of miscommunication within the company that caused them to put one thing up on the website and then say something else. I haven't looked at either the website or any formal statements from the company, but looking at what was written above I think we give them time and see how this all pans out. I've never been a huge CTD customer, but results will determine if I remain an infrequent customer or a NON-customer. I won't crucify them yet though.
I've gotta stop this habit.
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

I will give you guys some "inside baseball" on product liability insurance as I suspect insurance might be the reason this is going on.

One of two things happened from a product liabilitiy standpoint.

1. The insurance company that provides product liability coverage decided that they are no longer going to provide coverage for CTD. This kind of decision requires "notice" and is tied to the annual policy date. This is quite possibly going to happen in a few days/months. Knowing they can't assume that kind of risk themselves they are in the process of placing this coverage. As such they must attempt to limit their exposure until coverage is placed.

2. Let us suppose that the shooter's mother had purchased her rifle, pistols, or ammo from CTD. Let us suppose that this information has come to the attention of CTD. Their insurance... which has a "per occurrence limit" will eventually be "sucked dry" effective the date of the tragedy. Sure, these things take time to go through the courts... but everyone knows that eventually it is likely going to work itself out well beyond the policy limits. For example, let us suppose that their insurance is $5 million per occurrence, $10 million aggregate for the year. Any attorney will tell you that 25 different people shot is probably going to turn into 25 civil lawsuits... interpreted as 25 separate occurrences, meaning that your insurance has been sucked dry even if you had no other product liability claims before this.

This means that the day CTD discovered this information they immediately discovered that they have no product liability insurance for other past, current, or future sales.

Hence, some sort of a strategy is in order. Not wanting to abandon massive quantities of sales in their "water bob" line they decided to stop firearms sales and take a chance on other products sold. Who knows.

These kinds of things happen if you have insurance from the marketplace, some sort of self-insured risk retention group, high deductible liability insurance, etc.

One of these two things is quite possible.

It is just business. No sense in kicking over the water cooler in anger. Relax and watch.
-----
Ick
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

Libertarian_Geek wrote:
MV10 wrote:

That's a very possible scenario. If it's true, then I'm thinking they deserve no quarter.
I see what you did there. ...no quarter(s)... :lol:
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

I stopped using them long ago when they refused to remove me from here mailing lists.
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

The Dirt Nap for the 'Cheaper Than DIrt' cowards's business.
Vote with your dollars, or lack thereof.
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

Historian wrote:The Dirt Nap for the 'Cheaper Than DIrt' cowards's business.
Vote with your dollars, or lack thereof.

Also when you do buy elsewhere always email them telling them why. I also send a copy of the order I placed. When Brownells refused to stop sending me crap a few years ago I sent them a email with a few several good sized orders I got from midway they wrote me back saying they were sorry and offered me a discount coupon I replied asking if I could use it at Midway never got anything else from them.
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
gunguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunguy »

I guess cheaper than dirt is going to resume gun sales now, what a bunch of assholes! So now that they are loosing money they are all the sudden back in the gun buisnes? I won't spend a dime there again.
AAC Cyclone-BRANDED FOR LIFE MEMBER
Slaine777
Silent Operator

Post by Slaine777 »

In 2008/2009 when we had the ammo shortage CTD was (in my opinion) price gouging on ammo. It would not surprise me if they stopped all online gun sales to raise the price of all their guns.
MV10
Silent But Deadly

Post by MV10 »

Everybody is price-gouging on ammo right now. An FFL friend stopped by my office today to talk about some items I had ordered, and he brought it up. One of his customers just told him he paid more than $40 for a box of 200 rounds of .22LR.
Modern American political discourse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpAOwJvTOio