Suppressing my AR, what do I need to do?

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Casper
Silent But Deadly

Suppressing my AR, what do I need to do?

Post by Casper »

I’m finally taking the plunge and picking up a rifle can for my AR. This puts me in unfamiliar waters and I wanted to ask for your help, is there anything that I should be mindful of when adding a can to an otherwise stock AR?

The rifle is a stock, with the exception of a trigger job, M&P 15T with a 16” barrel. I just put in my paperwork on the AAC 762 SDN-6 that I plan on running on the AR and a 300 Blackout rifle. Do I need to make any changes to the rifle to ensure that it functions reliably with and without the can on?

Any advice you can offer would be appreciated.
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Re: Suppressing my AR, what do I need to do?

Post by Wahnsinn »

When my YHM 762 QD got approved, I picked up a 1/2x28 mount, slapped it on the gun, put the can on, and fired away. Sounded good with full power 55gr FMJ, hardly any noticeable gas in the face (if any at all).

I say try it first like you have it, then see if there are changes you want to make (gas busting items most likely, if that even).
Casper
Silent But Deadly

Post by Casper »

Wahnsinn wrote:When my YHM 762 QD got approved, I picked up a 1/2x28 mount, slapped it on the gun, put the can on, and fired away. Sounded good with full power 55gr FMJ, hardly any noticeable gas in the face (if any at all).

I say try it first like you have it, then see if there are changes you want to make (gas busting items most likely, if that even).
Thanks Wahnsinn! So in all likelihood I shouldn't need to worry about swapping out buffers or gas-blocks? If so, that is great news. I just don't want to do any damage to what has proved itself to be a very reliable and accurate rifle.
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

Nope, worst thing that will happen is your gun will get dirty a little quicker. Mine was essentially bone stock (started life with an A2 stock and M4 barrel/pinned brake, switched to 6pos stock with 16" threaded barrel).