Choice of .308 suppressor.

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Choice of .308 suppressor.

Post by Capt. Link. »

I think the Thundertrap is a class act.
What .308 suppressor would you recommend and why.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
piglatinhater
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Choice of .308 suppressor.

Post by piglatinhater »

YHM Phantom for the budget minded people
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

Well, what platform(s) will you use it on?
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

I really like the SAS titanium Arbiter can. I use it with 5.56, 6,8, 300 BLK, and .308 Win.

Have had virtually no change of impact point with any of the rifles. All were carefully checked for concentricity though.
.300WinMag
Silent But Deadly

Post by .300WinMag »

Depends on what is important to you.

What is most important to me is accuracy and minimal shift. Thus I like single point (thread on) cans. I own an SRT and think it is outstanding for accuracy and shift, but it is inconel and stainless and therefore heavy. I have an AWC Titanium THOR in the queue and hope to be shooting it by the end of summer. Mine get used on .308 and 300 WinMag bolt guns and .308 gassers.

I took a long look at SRT TI Mag Shadow and the TBAC 30P

I had zero interest in any other offerings.

Good luck
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

cyclone. lighter and better sound than the thunder trap. trap was great back in the day. original cyclone was a k baffle can like the tt then went on a diet and switched to cone baffles and wamo!

300tm seems a little better now but its 2x the cyclone cost (give or take)
NP
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

This inquiry is for replacement of suppressors for a small town PD team.I think stone reliability,longevity & accuracy are the most important traits on a small town budget.Price, size, weight and suppression are in the mix as well.
I rebuilt the bolt rifles and recommended the AWC product many years ago.Providing a quality product is most important as some of these men are the sons of past and present friends.Day to day use of any tool reveals it true worth, thank you for your comments. CL
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
DesertRat
Senior Silent Operator

Post by DesertRat »

I replaced my Thundertrap with a Cyclone.

I think it was a good choice.

Lighter, quieter, cheaper.
Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.
Give a man a bank and he can rob the entire world.
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

DesertRat wrote:I replaced my Thundertrap with a Cyclone.

I think it was a good choice.

Lighter, quieter, cheaper.
hear hear
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
Bird
Silent Operator

Post by Bird »

For all out durability, cost and performance, it is hard to beat the Cyclone or Cyclone K.
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

Given the qualifications, and the fact that cops have the seemingly innate ability to tear up an anvil with a rubber mallet, the YHM Phantom is going to be a contender.

The Phantom blast suppression is in the top level of field operationally effectiveness, it is cost effective, and built like a tank. A major sound component of a std. .308 cal round being fired is the bullets sonic signature. That part isn't going to be suppressed.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
gunguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunguy »

I agree with the above post, I have both of those suppressors and like both of them for different reasons. I love that the YHM is affordable sounds good, and the mounts don't break the bank plus they include one. It pisses me off that companies sell QD cans with out a mount, s--t its like selling a new car and not including oil. Ok now that I vented I have to say that my cyclone sounds quieter weighs less and screams quality, fit and finish. Price used to be a down side, but they've come down so I think they beat out the YHM. I almost forgot, the accuracy will improve with the use of the cyclone. I guess its a win/win.
AAC Cyclone-BRANDED FOR LIFE MEMBER
okent
Silent But Deadly

Post by okent »

I used to be an AWC hater but I met the new owners at SHOT in January and shot some of their stuff.
Got a chance to shoot a Surgeon rifle with the AWC .30 can and it worked fantastic.
I have first hand experience with the old customer service and products which went to crap before this new crew.
It seems they are making an effort to update their stuff and treat customers right.
DesertRat
Senior Silent Operator

Post by DesertRat »

continuity wrote:Given the qualifications, and the fact that cops have the seemingly innate ability to tear up an anvil with a rubber mallet, the YHM Phantom is going to be a contender.

The Phantom blast suppression is in the top level of field operationally effectiveness, it is cost effective, and built like a tank.
I often see people equate "heavy as a tank" to "built like a tank".

I don't think that is correct.

I am not an authority on YHM cans (or any others) but I have friends that own YHM products. I have handled and shot them. None of them have made a great impression on me.

They are a decent value for the money, and OK for a hobby gun, but I would be hesitant to recommend one for "life and death" type use.

I tend to stick with manufacturers that have won .mil contracts if a weapon is going to be used for social purposes. Not to say that other manufacturers can't produce quality, reliable products, but why take the chance? By what objective measure does one determine that a budget can is "good enough for government work"?

We have all seen this picture of the M4 2000 that had the 300 BLK fired through it.

I doubt that the heavier YHM piece would have fated any better.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.
Give a man a bank and he can rob the entire world.
srt-4_uk
Silent But Deadly

Post by srt-4_uk »

"life or death" use of a rifle suppressor? I am confused.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

He means Navy Seals do not use DPMS rifles. If you have to depend on a can for defense do not buy the DPMS equivalent.
srt-4_uk
Silent But Deadly

Post by srt-4_uk »

I get what he is saying. but how does a rifle can brand effect a life or death situation?
the tick

Post by the tick »

I would not base a purchase on whether or not the military uses an certain thing. A lot of military contracts go for the middle ground at best. There are far better weapons and components available than what sits in our arms rooms.