Specific can for an FN FAL L1-A1?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Jer
Silent Operator

Specific can for an FN FAL L1-A1?

Post by Jer »

After getting the can for my AR and popping my cherry with that, I now want my second one (for the long guns) to be for my L1-A1.
I know that I could spend a month researching on my own, but the wisdom here is immense and I'll trust your judgement better than mine.

The L1-A1 is an inch setup...not that that matters for the can - just history.
It is, currently, the only 7.62 that I own. But I do want a can just for it.

It doesn't get shot much. It's not select fire. But I (think) I want a can with the highest db reduction I can find. I know there is a difference between the perceived sound and the actual sound based on the tonal qualities - but I'm not familiar with that so I'm basing my decision on simple math for db reduction being my "look for."

I'm not too caring on user serviceable cans or not - and I am looking for something in the $600 - $900 range - and perhaps a bit more if the can is just "that and a bag of chips" and it reloads my brass for me.

I've been looking real hard at the AAC Cyclone - but I'm not convinced that's what I want...not sure why I'm not, but something is gnawing at me in the both buy/hold off scenarios.

Also - this is the barrel of the L1-A1 - what needs to be used for the adapter?
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, shall make violent revolution inevitable." - John F. Kennedy.
ramrod45

Re: Specific can for an FN FAL L1-A1?

Post by ramrod45 »

I own an AAC Cyclone. First suppressor I purchased. Great silencer. I have it mounted on a Remington 700 with a 26 inch Schneider barrel. Very quiet, on a barrel that's at least 20 inches or longer. I bought an adapter for my AK-47 (16" barrel) it was terrible. The Cyclone has a 5/8-24 right hand thread. I also own a FN FAL "Metric" (SA58Para from DS Arms with 16' barrel). Like you, I wanted a silencer for it. Will the FAL has a 9/16-24 LEFT hand thread barrel. After searching the WEB, "The gun plumber" at Arizona Response recommended the YHM Phantom QD. YHM offers a 9/16-24 LH adapter QD for their Phantom suppressor. So is the Phantom just as quiet as the Cyclone. NO. Not on a 16" barrel. I have not tried the Phantom on a longer barrel because I don't want to buy another adapter to find out. In my option, bullet caliber and barrel length will determine how effective your silencer will be. Good luck.
Jer
Silent Operator

Post by Jer »

This is exactly my concern. I don't know much about cans other than generalities - but I know enough to understand that a can that performs well on gun "a" may perform terrible on gun "b."

That is why I'm posting the question here, in the hopes that someone or a group of someones know which can will be the better performing on an L1-A1 7.62 - I'd rather avoid the costly mistake and learn from others.
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, shall make violent revolution inevitable." - John F. Kennedy.
Stout
Silent But Deadly

Post by Stout »

My FAL suppresses just fine. Gas on or gas off. (karate kid)

I did have the barrel shortened to 17.5" and threaded 9/16RH. The AAC 51 tooth adapter works great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEjI6WFMoc4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-LwpWs9iKA
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Stout wrote:My FAL suppresses just fine. Gas on or gas off. (karate kid)

I did have the barrel shortened to 17.5" and threaded 9/16RH. The AAC 51 tooth adapter works great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEjI6WFMoc4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-LwpWs9iKA
Nice to see FAL vids. :D

Don't trust original thread ( like AK's) I'm doing mine RH twist AAC mount with a good smith threading @ 16.5". ( mine already para size)

To the OP, that bi pod will raise POI and hand guard mounts BP are batter. :mrgreen:
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

The L1A1 is going to have left handed threads. IF you keep those you'll need to make sure they are really concentric to the bore (most likely they are not). Were I you I'd seriously consider cutting off the original threads and re-thread for a more conventional mounting system.
Jer
Silent Operator

Post by Jer »

L1A1Rocker wrote:The L1A1 is going to have left handed threads. IF you keep those you'll need to make sure they are really concentric to the bore (most likely they are not). Were I you I'd seriously consider cutting off the original threads and re-thread for a more conventional mounting system.

Good advice. I have no issues cutting and threading this L1A1 - I've got a great gun smith that does all my work for me. Specifically for this weapon - what can would you recommend that has the highest overall db reduction? Not really looking for a multi-caliber can, but more specifically just for the L1A1 with no other guns being used with it.
Trevor2011
Silent But Deadly

Post by Trevor2011 »

Check out SWR's video on their 7.62specwar they show it being shot on a wide variety of hosts.