HK Mk23/KAC suppressor article

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderators: 3, KevinB

MichaelVain
Senior Silent Operator

HK Mk23/KAC suppressor article

Post by MichaelVain »

I saw this on HK's Facebook page.

http://www.hk-usa.com/-images/shared/MK23.pdf

It's an article about the development of the MK23 and also contains information on the development of the KAC suppressor that I hadn't seen in other places.

It leads me to observe that there are a few articles and posts regarding the development and testing of the Mk23, but really, not a whole lot of information about how the KAC suppressor was designed or tested in-house.

I would really love to know more about how the suppressor was designed at KAC (in the article it indicates Mr. Doug Olson was design lead). Is there an article or post somewhere that would reflect this? I am just curious as my first introduction to KAC was through my purchase of the Mark23 and the KAC suppressor as well as the KAC RAS's for the G36 and MP5.

I've been told I have one of the KAC suppressors that was used by H&K for T&E.
BriggsRi
Silent But Deadly

Re: HK Mk23/KAC suppressor article

Post by BriggsRi »

Interesting find, thanks for posting!
Elite Industry Professional

Post by 3 »

I think the most interesting part of the development of the Mk-23 can was the evolution of the piston. What has now become an industry standard for these types of designs is clearly shown as a KAC concept with Doug as the lead designer with direct input from my dad. The other interesting not is the Colt version of the Offensive Handgun did not require a Nielsen device as it was attached to the frame due to the rotating bbl design of the Colt pistol, which was also ironically loosely based off of the All American 2000.
C Reed Knight III
Knight's Armament Company
http://www.knightarmco.com/
http://www.lawmens.net/
MichaelVain
Senior Silent Operator

Post by MichaelVain »

Thank you Trey. I really appreciate you commenting on this subject.

Is there a write up or some historical summary that is shareable regarding the development of the suppressor and piston?

One of the reasons I admire KAC so much is some of the innovation that has occurred such as the piston on the suppressor as well as something as ubiquitous as the M1913 rail system that KAC developed.

I'm sure if you asked 100 average AR15 owners who developed the rail system, I doubt more than 15% would know it was KAC. If there is some historical summary about the development of the M1913 rail, that would be great too, I would love to read about the development of some the products that are so common today (quad rail system and piston on pistol suppressor).
vlad211723

Post by vlad211723 »

When are the mark 23 cans going to be made/shipped for civillians?
D9M9TR9S
Silent But Deadly

Post by D9M9TR9S »

vlad211723 wrote:When are the mark 23 cans going to be made/shipped for civillians?
:lol: