Question on Shimming AAC Breakout Flash Hider

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Casper
Silent But Deadly

Question on Shimming AAC Breakout Flash Hider

Post by Casper »

I've recently picked up an AAC Breakout Flash Hider for my pending can... damn this waiting.

In any case, I've been playing with the included shims and I keep coming up 5 or so degrees off center. Has anyone else had this issue? Did you bother trying to get it perfect or did you just go with a slightly off bubble install?

I'm not sure which direction I want to go, but any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Trevor2011
Silent But Deadly

Re: Question on Shimming AAC Breakout Flash Hider

Post by Trevor2011 »

I was like you I couldn't get it just right so I just torqued it down a tad bit tighter to make it fit. I know that's not necessarily the best thing to do but after a year it still works wonderfully.
rjacobs
Senior Silent Operator

Post by rjacobs »

in my experience when you put the rockset on you can go just a little bit further than you can dry. I have yanked a few off quickly due to this happening. I think my brakeout on my 5.56 SBR is probably 2-3 degrees to far. I havent noticed anything bad shooting it unsuppressed.
Casper
Silent But Deadly

Post by Casper »

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I am probably going to give it a go as is and see if the rockset and a little torque doesn't get me to where I want to be.

I'm thinking this is going to be an almost exclusively can-on gun once it comes through so it's really just petty aesthetics at this point.
Theohazard
Silent Operator

Post by Theohazard »

I've installed almost a dozen different suppressor muzzle devices by now, three were mine and the rest were for customers. Mostly it's just trial and error; try different shims and combinations of shims. You want to use as few shims as possible and never use more than three.

Our shop has a chart for Surefire 5.56 muzzle devices; it's a circular chart showing which color shim or combination of shims to use depending on how it threads on without shims. But I've never found one for any other brands and I've found trial-and-error works better anyway.

I'm a perfectionist and I need to always get it perfect, even when I'm just installing a flash hider. With Rocksett you have a little wiggle room as far as torque is concerned. Sometimes I'll tighten it just a little past snug so it will line up, and sometimes I'll have to give it a little more torque. Just don't over-torque it, that can be bad. I don't know specific ft.-lbs. numbers, but you don't ever want to use all your strength when trying to get it straight.
0331: "Accuracy by volume."