Barrett M107 QDL - brake dimensions

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Barrett M107 QDL - brake dimensions

Post by gunny50 »

Good day Guys,

Does any one of you have specs, dimensions, detailed pictures ( in and outside) of the M107A1 QDL and its brake?

Working on my M82 to make it more quiet.

Gunny
dogtown

Re: Barrett M107 QDL - brake dimensions

Post by dogtown »

gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

dogtown

Nice drawing but I do think to many baffles, due to the weight adverticed
What program did you use?

Gunny
dogtown

Post by dogtown »

That's a screen grab from a National Geographic show called "Snipers Inc" about Ronnie Barrett and his company. There's a brief bit about the suppressor and they show a short clip of that 3d visualization, which I would guess is part of a Barrett corporate video you'd see on the SHOT show floor. There's also a few clips of someone working on it in Solidworks, but they were too small.
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

dogtown wrote:That's a screen grab from a National Geographic show called "Snipers Inc" about Ronnie Barrett and his company. There's a brief bit about the suppressor and they show a short clip of that 3d visualization, which I would guess is part of a Barrett corporate video you'd see on the SHOT show floor. There's also a few clips of someone working on it in Solidworks, but they were too small.

Thank you for the information, is it online or did you record it?

Gunny
dogtown

Post by dogtown »

Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

gunny50 wrote: Nice drawing but I do think to many baffles, due to the weight adverticed
Gunny
Nope, thats about right! :wink:

Slightly different shape though, but good enough for National Geographic!
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

Bendersquint wrote: Nope, thats about right! :wink:

Slightly different shape though, but good enough for National Geographic!

Bender,

If it is made as advertised in 4130 with basic dimensions as in the video online the weight would be roughly 3,5 kg not 2,21 kg.
Wall of the 4130 tube 2mm - baffles 3mm thick.

So as in the immage above from the screenshot it looks like they used baffles with a liner, It might be of course that the baffles are made fro Ti and have a SS or inconel liner?

quick 3D sketch got me to 3,5 kg.

gunny
dogtown

Post by dogtown »

Judging by the way they're handling it in the video, it doesn't look like 3.5kg, so there's probably lots of Ti in there.
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

dogtown wrote:Judging by the way they're handling it in the video, it doesn't look like 3.5kg, so there's probably lots of Ti in there.

So replacing all the 4130 baffles for Ti and?

Stil to heavy.

No one here with the original?
No comments so far.

Gunny
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

The one I held was definitely heavier than 5 lbs didn't have a scale with me though.
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

Bendersquint wrote:The one I held was definitely heavier than 5 lbs didn't have a scale with me though.

Bender,

What is your personal opinion in regards to the DWG.

I have never handled one so the question is, are the baffles lined? Ti Gr5 should be strong enough by it self .
The thing is, it is a 50, lots of gas, Muzzle pressure not much more than a 308.

Baffles in 2,75 wall are thick enough, in 316 or Thermax my calculations even say 2,25 should hold with a blast baffle of 4mm / 60dgr cone.
Would use less baffles and longer blast volume. Wall in total of 3mm should do. Used that on a Boldgun in the 90's
But thats on a boldgun not an M82

I found a picture online of the welded core of the AAC, seems like Connector - 4" blast and a few (4) cones every 2" and an endcap directly behind the last cone.
I think it was here as ST, and the welder of AAC mentioned that he had worked all day at it programming the CNC welder and that it was his finest weld ever.
They mentioned that these where production pieces.

(edit- picturelink AAC lost)
Gunny
brazos609
Silent But Deadly

Post by brazos609 »

Mine weighs 2.257 kilos/4 lb 15.6 oz on my postal scale.
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

brazos609 wrote:Mine weighs 2.257 kilos/4 lb 15.6 oz on my postal scale.
Thank you, SO the original Barrett M107 silencer is 2,257 KG.
I would think less baffles or thinner.
Brake on end of the can might be Ti, weight would tell more of the seperate brake.

How many baffles are inside?
This so I can update the image above.
Maybe picture form inside?

Gunny
brazos609
Silent But Deadly

Post by brazos609 »

I can try to get a photo down the bore once my wife gets home, I usually only use my phone for photos but she has a DSLR. There are only five conical baffles, including the blast baffle, and they appear evenly spaced. The four primary baffle have 180 deg notches in the mouth and they are not staggered or offset down the stack. The blast baffle has three very small ports at the outside edge 120 deg apart. There are five very small ports right next to each other visible half way down the cone of the last baffle, we could assume the other three baffles are similarly ported. The distance from the collar in the open position to the mouth of the blast baffle is 6 7/16" so it has a very large blast chamber. The depictions above show virtually no blast chamber, not a knock on you, you were working off the screen capture above. The auxiliary brake only weighs 167 grams so titanium is a good guess.
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

brazos609 wrote:I can try to get a photo down the bore once my wife gets home, I usually only use my phone for photos but she has a DSLR. There are only five conical baffles, including the blast baffle, and they appear evenly spaced. The four primary baffle have 180 deg notches in the mouth and they are not staggered or offset down the stack. The blast baffle has three very small ports at the outside edge 120 deg apart. There are five very small ports right next to each other visible half way down the cone of the last baffle, we could assume the other three baffles are similarly ported. The distance from the collar in the open position to the mouth of the blast baffle is 6 7/16" so it has a very large blast chamber. The depictions above show virtually no blast chamber, not a knock on you, you were working off the screen capture above. The auxiliary brake only weighs 167 grams so titanium is a good guess.

Brazos,

If I read your post right it should look something like above.

Gunny
brazos609
Silent But Deadly

Post by brazos609 »

You are on the ball with your renderings. Just move the rows of five ports 180 deg to the 6 o'clock position and you will be pretty spot on. getting a better angle looking down the bore from the muzzle with a light I can say for certain that at least the last two baffles have the five ports at 6 o'clock so I assume all four are the same. What did this rendering bring the estimated weight down to?
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

brazos609 wrote:You are on the ball with your renderings. Just move the rows of five ports 180 deg to the 6 o'clock position and you will be pretty spot on. getting a better angle looking down the bore from the muzzle with a light I can say for certain that at least the last two baffles have the five ports at 6 o'clock so I assume all four are the same. What did this rendering bring the estimated weight down to?

Brazos,

Again thank you for the update

I'll change the ports and will also make the Added brake on the can as a separate installed Ti part.
Than I will recompute the weight.

In regards to the brake would you be able to get me some specs if I make a DWG like above with letters in stead of size specs?

Gunny
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

Found an interesting PDF file online about the tests done with the M107.

M107 .50 Caliber COTS/NDI Sound Suppressor Evaluation

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2006smallarms/semick.pdf

Gunny
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

Brazos, do you have a first or second generation Barrett 107A1 silencer

1st gen has longer cylindrical part between locknut and Silencer body, brake is completely surrounded there.

2nd gen has the brake partly in the 1st expansion chamber and is supported by the ring inside like in my DWG.

Gunny
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

brazos609 wrote:Mine weighs 2.257 kilos/4 lb 15.6 oz on my postal scale.
The auxiliary brake only weighs 167 grams so titanium is a good guess.
Brazos,
Flipped the cutout, do wonder however if the 180 degree cut is in the top or bottom when silencer is installed.
This to manage internal forces and movement of silencer, just like a compensator.

Also would like to see some picture from inside if possible, still think that my assumption of connector area is not completely right.
I do know that I have to work on the auxilary brake in front as that is still to heavy. (almost double as to what your mentioning above)
So weight is getting close but not right there yet.

Below the brake with some question marks in regards to Dimensions.
If you can find the time to handle a caliper for some minutes I would love to get more specs. just PM me if you find the time.

Gunny
brazos609
Silent But Deadly

Post by brazos609 »

I don't have one in front of me now so this is going off the top of my head. You now have the five ports on the correct side of the cone of the baffle, but you need the rotate those four baffles 180 deg. In your first set of five baffle renderings you had the baffles oriented correctly, with the 180 deg notches at 12 o'clock, but also had the five ports at 12 o'clock. That is why I was saying to just move the five ports to 6 o'clock. All of the QDLs I have seen have had the full diameter of the body going all the way back to the latch. I have never seen one with the extended narrow section you refer to as a 1st generation.