NFA Trust & tax Stamp readily available??

2nd Amendment and Freedom

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Re: NFA Trust & tax Stamp readily available??

Post by Baffled »

One problem is that a lot of private ranges insist on seeing the paperwork before you can use their facility.

Since it is their range, they have that right, or I can simply walk out the door. I'd rather shoot.

Telling people to pound sand is fine, but too much "in your face" and you become like that tool Kwikrnu, who roams around with slung Draco "pistols" and cap and ball revolvers, looking for a confrontation with police (so he can sue); constantly pushing the envelope. I used to call him Kwik2sue, because he was always threatening people with lawsuits.
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

I keep mine handy at my range because it's not law, but it's part of a relationship between the range and the shooters. If they request that I bring them a snack when I shoot, then it's still worth the privilege to shoot on their property.

With that said, if an RO asked for my forms (and one has asked me if I had them, but not to see them), then it does change my impression of said RO. I drive a car to the range, but don't expect to be asked about my license, registration and insurance.

All in all, if an RO asks me if I have my forms at my range, I consider it akin to going to a really good bar with one occasionally flatulent waitress.
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
thomasnelson

Post by thomasnelson »

to piggy back... I carry a hardcopy on my Stamped Form4 any time I leave the house with my NFA items

Question... Is an electronic copy of the Form 1s & 4s just as good as a hardcopy? I keep a scanned .PDF copy in my iPhone and in the cloud (assessable from anywhere at anytime) just in case something ever happens to the hardcopy.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

thomasnelson wrote:to piggy back... I carry a hardcopy on my Stamped Form4 any time I leave the house with it...

Question... Is an electronic copy of the Form 1s & 4s just as good as a hardcopy? I keep a scanned .PDF copy in my iPhone and in the cloud (assessable from anywhere at anytime) just in case something ever happens to the hardcopy.
So long as you have a means to display it then I can't see the issue. If you keep it on a geek stick and there is no computer to view it then its as good as not even having one with you.
thomasnelson

Post by thomasnelson »

Bendersquint wrote: So long as you have a means to display it then I can't see the issue. If you keep it on a geek stick and there is no computer to view it then its as good as not even having one with you.
It is stored several places to include a "Geek Stick"... Yes, It can be displayed it at will.

I was thinking of not carrying the hard copies anymore due to fact that they can walk away and I don't want my information to become uncontrolled public knowledge.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

thomasnelson wrote:
Bendersquint wrote: So long as you have a means to display it then I can't see the issue. If you keep it on a geek stick and there is no computer to view it then its as good as not even having one with you.
It is stored several places to include a "Geek Stick"... Yes, It can be displayed it at will.

I was thinking of not carrying the hard copies anymore due to fact that they can walk away and I don't want my information to become uncontrolled public knowledge.
In all honesty if your forms have a chance at walking away then you need to secure your gear better because I would be more concerned with the handgun or worse that would walk away over a piece of paper.

I have all my forms on a geek stick and also on my phone. If they request to view it its right there, if that doesn't cut it I can use the geek stick at any computer to show them a full size printout. A geek stick unless you carry around a PDA that can read it won't suffice.

You need to be able to SHOW them when requested, not when you can find a computer or a printer, but on the spot.
thomasnelson

Post by thomasnelson »

Bendersquint wrote: In all honesty if your forms have a chance at walking away then you need to secure your gear better because I would be more concerned with the handgun or worse that would walk away over a piece of paper.
My firearms and forms are secure as I can get them without carrying around a 1000 pound gun safe...kinda hard on my back, I'm not as young as I once was.... That said, A few ranges that I visit have had vehicles broken into and people's belongings have disappeared. Not that I'm really worried about my property being stolen ( I never leave anything ( to include my firearms and forms )in my vehicle to tempt the criminals), but you never know when or where someone will try to sneak up on you. AND if I don't have to carry hard copies, that is just one less thing to worry about.
glocker17
Silent But Deadly

Post by glocker17 »

DOD guns usually get an exemption and are not part of the registry. As Govt. owned guns, they are tax-free and do not get stamps.
This. I have seen short barrels 14" shipped to the office for installation on govt owned 870's that were previously used with what appeared to be the original 18" tubes. I bet that none of the receivers were ever papered, but DOJ is buying parts, so I guess they give themselves a pass.

I questioned this, a none had a clue why I was concerned!

My issued m4 has no documents that I am aware of, other than a property card that I had to sign for.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

glocker17 wrote:
DOD guns usually get an exemption and are not part of the registry. As Govt. owned guns, they are tax-free and do not get stamps.
This. I have seen short barrels 14" shipped to the office for installation on govt owned 870's that were previously used with what appeared to be the original 18" tubes. I bet that none of the receivers were ever papered, but DOJ is buying parts, so I guess they give themselves a pass.

I questioned this, a none had a clue why I was concerned!

My issued m4 has no documents that I am aware of, other than a property card that I had to sign for.
There are documents besides the property card. 8 or 10 levels worth.
glocker17
Silent But Deadly

Post by glocker17 »

That was my thoughts