Suggestions for more appropriate term for "assault weapons."

2nd Amendment and Freedom

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

What word would you think should be substituted for "Assault Weapon.:

Low Energy/Power Rifle.
7%
Close range rifle.
7%
Personal Defence Firearm. (Not to be confused w/ PDW.)
29%
Reduced charge firearm.
7%
2nd Ammendment Device.
7%
Other w posted term below.
43%

Total votes: 14

WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Re: Suggestions for more appropriate term for "assault weapo

Post by WhisperFan »

whiterussian1974 wrote:Only 3 votes have been cast.
I have obstained from voting because I didn't want to skew results. My Favorite Terms are Low Power or Short Range Rifle. People tend to ask how a low power rifle is possible, so it opens an opportunity to begin a discussion on the History of the term Sturmgewehr.
I agree w the prior poster that "Sporting" can cause problems because ALL rifles can have sporting applications. Either on game animals or paper targets.
It's funny listening to Liberals splutter when they hear the tools they have decried as "Assault Weapons" called Low Power.
The obverse/complimentary ? becomes, would they prefer american civilians to carry "Elephant Guns" or .50 BMGs?

Well you can't vote now .... if you do you will certainly skew the results. You will actually have a full 25% of the vote! :shock:

BTW - 'abstain' :wink:
As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.
Justice William O. Douglas
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

continuity wrote:Didn't vote. Try to abstain from linguistic definition arguments. We all know the difference relative semiauto vs. full auto... clip vs. magazine... etc.
Many people actually DON'T know that a "Clip" refers to stripper clip. Magazine can refer to tubular magazine. And that Detachable box magazine is the correct term for what many are trying to describe.
continuity wrote:You want to throw yourself into a tizzy on the "assault weapon" definition with a NFA audience... go for it.
I'm not sure what you mean by "tizzy." I'm conducting a poll on what members feel to be the best term and allow them the space to explain their choices.
I've now stated my preferrance, others can also.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

WhisperFan wrote:Well you can't vote now .... if you do you will certainly skew the results. You will actually have a full 25% of the vote! :shock:
Excellent point. I tried to give everyone plenty of time before I weighed in.
PS: I've always tested in the 48th percentile for English words. That means 52% of American Schoolchildren tested better than me on Iowa Test of Basic Skills.
Fortunately I tested 97-99% on all other sections.
On the ASVAB I scored a 97 QT w a perfect score on 3 minute SpeedMath. I tested 127 out of 130 on Defense Language Aptitude Battery. 100% on Artificial Lanquage Section of US Border Patrol Test.
Lots of times I have to go back and edit my posts when the words aren't recognizable due to typing to quickly.
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

whiterussian1974 wrote:
WhisperFan wrote:Well you can't vote now .... if you do you will certainly skew the results. You will actually have a full 25% of the vote! :shock:
Excellent point. I tried to give everyone plenty of time before I weighed in.
PS: I've always tested in the 48th percentile for English words. That means 52% of American Schoolchildren tested better than me on Iowa Test of Basic Skills.
Fortunately I tested 97-99% on all other sections.
On the ASVAB I scored a 97 QT w a perfect score on 3 minute SpeedMath. I tested 127 out of 130 on Defense Language Aptitude Battery. 100% on Artificial Lanquage Section of US Border Patrol Test.
Lots of times I have to go back and edit my posts when the words aren't recognizable due to typing to quickly.
I mean this in the nicest way possible .... I think you are a weird person! :wink:

One little comment and you launch into a long explanation of your intellectual abilities. Just sayin' -
As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

WhisperFan wrote:...
One little comment and you launch into a long explanation of your intellectual abilities. Just sayin' -
That or buckets of vitriol ... :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

To my friends I refer to all my semi-auto rifles and any black colored handgun as, "Super-powerful, end of the world, ultimate zombie killer."

To everyone else - it's, "Oh - this little pop-gun?" (even the BMG!)
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

WhisperFan wrote:To my friends I refer to all my semi-auto rifles and any black colored handgun as, "Super-powerful, end of the world, ultimate zombie killer."
I'll have to try that. Except I think I'll refer to all as little P-shooter, even w friends. Remember anti-gun nuts have tried to classify .22lr as "sniper rifles." When asked why I load my 3.5" 12ga with 2.5 oz custom mould, hardcast slugs @ 985 fps I always reply, so I can see the impact on paper w/o having to walk down there while others are shooting. :)
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

WhisperFan wrote:I mean this in the nicest way possible .... I think you are a weird person! :wink:
Just explaining why I spell so horribly, yet otherwise know what I'm talking about. :)
After all, there is plenty of space and sometimes it takes 2-3 days or more before I can respond to a post.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

I wonder if that Navy Vet from Dallas who shot up the DC Naval Shipyard left behind any notes explaining that he intended to follow VP Joe Biden's advice about blasting a couple of shots of the balcony?
When will Liberals stop advocating irresponcible gun handling? :(
Pman5KMO
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Pman5KMO »

whiterussian1974 wrote:
WhisperFan wrote:To my friends I refer to all my semi-auto rifles and any black colored handgun as, "Super-powerful, end of the world, ultimate zombie killer."
I'll have to try that. Except I think I'll refer to all as little P-shooter, even w friends. Remember anti-gun nuts have tried to classify .22lr as "sniper rifles." When asked why I load my 3.5" 12ga with 2.5 oz custom mould, hardcast slugs @ 985 fps I always reply, so I can see the impact on paper w/o having to walk down there while others are shooting. :)
My AR15s are my rodent killers, my AK is my POLD (piss off liberal device). I was once asked why I have a 75rd drum on my AK by one of those democrat hunters, he said 'nobody should need 75 rounds for anything' I replied 'because it makes idiots upset that I have more firepower than them Because they think a bolt gun and a revolver is all that shoyld be legal'... He promptly left the range and called the conservation officer (was at a MDC range) but the democrat didnt realize i helped the CO build his AR upper and an AK from parts kit... The CO had a warrant put out for the democrat for filing a false report that i had a 'machine gun'. Now that was justice truly served.
Suppressors cost less than hearing aids..
Pman5KMO
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Pman5KMO »

whiterussian1974 wrote:I wonder if that Navy Vet from Dallas who shot up the DC Naval Shipyard left behind any notes explaining that he intended to follow VP Joe Biden's advice about blasting a couple of shots of the balcony?
When will Liberals stop advocating irresponcible gun handling? :(
Not to forget the other 'incidents' prior... This is why all but the most extremist of libtards are not using that incident as calls for more gun control... As it only proves gun rights advocate claims and shows a failure of the VA system, several local police Dept's. and proves that crazy psychotic mofos will go outnof their way to do such evil things.

Same reason you never hear about the oregon mall shooting suspect used as an argument for such. He stole his s--t.
Suppressors cost less than hearing aids..
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Pman5KMO wrote:Not to forget the other 'incidents' prior...
Same reason you never hear about the oregon mall shooting suspect used as an argument for such. He stole his s--t.
If Libs really wanted to help end such incidents they would offer a Tax Credit for structurally-secured (concrete or 2x6 wall studs and 2x10 floor joists) gun safes. Has Feinstein or her ilk authored such legislation?
If guns cause violence and just having 1 causes someone to be more likely to be shot than without, Shouldn't the Secret Service, FBI and all other Federal Agents be disarmed? They have high stress jobs and need our support and protection more than most people. :shock:
Why is it that those that call for the Public to be forcibly disarmed are usually surrounded by armed guards? I would be frightened to be around so many lit fuses just ready to "go postal."
Should the phrase "go postal" be changed? The LAPD that terrorized the area after accuing his Dept of Rascism; the Navy Vet at the DC Naval Yard; Maj Nidal Hasan @ Fort Hood; etc. Maybe, "Going Federal?" Please post any other suggestions. This doesn't quite roll off the toungue.
I'm just glad that the Budget "Crisis" won't stop Michelle's 50th Birthday. All Subjects need to revere and honor her Imperial Majesty.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

"The U.S. Army's adoption of the M1 carbine in 1941 proved the utility of a small, handy, low-powered rifle that required little training to use effectively." Direct quote from Wikipedia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturmgewehr#Legacy
GlockBuyer
Senior Silent Operator

Post by GlockBuyer »

First and foremost, one should never change one's FREE Speech in order to suit or appease the Leftists, Liberals, Politically Correct or other Ignorant Fools. Trying to use "more appropriate terms" only plays into the Leftist Agenda. Furthermore, the term "assault weapon" has been corrupted to mean any and all firearms - especially the scary ones they want to BAN at a given time & place. Use accurate and appropriate terms - and don't be afraid to correct & educate the ignorant liberal trying to twist language into a political agenda.

Currently, my weapons are in ANTI-Assault Mode. In other words, I'm not storming a military objective, but I am ready to take care of anyone or any group trying to assault me or my property. I would suspect that the vast majority of evil black rifles & handguns are also in Anti-Assault Mode across the Country.
GlockBuyer
Senior Silent Operator

Post by GlockBuyer »

The sad part about the Navy Yard shooting was that he actually used a "sawed-off-shotgun" as in he sawed off part of the wooden butt stock - not the barrel. I guess they didn't have any factory pistol grips for that model................. In fact, I don't think he violated any NFA laws........
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

whiterussian1974 wrote:"The U.S. Army's adoption of the M1 carbine in 1941 proved the utility of a small, handy, low-powered rifle that required little training to use effectively." Direct quote from Wikipedia.
Not sure of the intent of ure post... other than to build ure post number...

A family friend that flew a Huey in a southeast asian police action, carried a M2 carbine on his lap and fired it sideways at touchdown in hot LZ's.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

GlockBuyer wrote:The sad part about the Navy Yard shooting was that he actually used a "sawed-off-shotgun" as in he sawed off part of the wooden butt stock - not the barrel. I guess they didn't have any factory pistol grips for that model................. In fact, I don't think he violated any NFA laws........
Depends upon Overall Length. 26 1/2". If barrel was 20" or longer it's legal. Most are 26" for smoothbore. 20" rifled.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

continuity wrote:
whiterussian1974 wrote:"The U.S. Army's adoption of the M1 carbine in 1941 proved the utility of a small, handy, low-powered rifle that required little training to use effectively." Direct quote from Wikipedia.
Not sure of the intent of ure post...
A family friend that flew a Huey in a southeast asian police action, carried a M2 carbine on his lap and fired it sideways at touchdown in hot LZ's.
Bendersquint wrote:Why would anyone want to use a low power or reduced charge firearm for defensive purposes?
I was answering Bender's ?. Hopefully your post further illuminates his understanding. :)
danb35
Silent Operator

Post by danb35 »

whiterussian1974 wrote:Depends upon Overall Length. 26 1/2". If barrel was 20" or longer it's legal.
No, 18" is the lower limit for shotgun barrels. There's no legal significance at all to 20".
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

danb35 wrote:
whiterussian1974 wrote:Depends upon Overall Length. 26 1/2". If barrel was 20" or longer it's legal.
No, 18" is the lower limit for shotgun barrels. There's no legal significance at all to 20".
I know. I simply meant that most models use 20" rifled or 26" smoothbore. Goose guns can be 28". Specialized can be 18.5" w/ available rifled choke (for Police or tactical and Home Defense) or up to 32" for Canadian Geese.
Thanks for correcting my oversight. :)
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

I say "evil black rifle"

Because anti gunners are scared of the color black.

Sometimes mockery is the best medicine.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

wacki wrote:I say "evil black rifle"
Because anti gunners are scared of the color black.
Sometimes mockery is the best medicine.
Good Point. For some reason Liberals are extremely dominated by color. IT's a pity they aren't color neutral like the rest of us. :(
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

continuity wrote:...
Finally a useful contribution to this thread.

I'm trying to decide if pokemon and maser haven't teamed up to create WR.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

doubloon wrote:...I'm trying to decide if pokemon and maser haven't teamed up to create WR.
:lol:
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

continuity wrote:
doubloon wrote:...I'm trying to decide if pokemon and maser haven't teamed up to create WR.
:lol:
Now that's some funny s--t right there! And...it is possible. Kind of a "hybrid hater".