Department considering suppressors

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Romulan

Department considering suppressors

Post by Romulan »

Our agency is currently reviewing the AR platform for issue, and I was wondering what type of suppressor would be recommended for an AR with a 14 inch 1/9 twist and 55 grain bullet? The suppressors would also be dedicated to each rifle. Thanks in advance.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Department considering suppressors

Post by Bendersquint »

Romulan wrote:Our agency is currently reviewing the AR platform for issue, and I was wondering what type of suppressor would be recommended for an AR with a 14 inch 1/9 twist and 55 grain bullet? The suppressors would also be dedicated to each rifle. Thanks in advance.
I would go with a Silencerco Saker, top notch performance, awesome price, and a great company with awesome customer service.
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

Bendersquint wrote:
I would go with a Silencerco Saker, top notch performance, awesome price, and a great company with awesome customer service.

Jumped right over the quieter and cheaper specwar? Care to share your wisdom?

FYI: I'm pretty sure I'm buying a saker this weekend. Been struggling on saker vs. specwar forever. Not sure I care about the MAAD mount. Not the adaptability part anyway. I'm starting out fresh. Many seem to say no diff between compression and ASR. I do like the louder but more durable hoplon though.
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

I would vote for the Specwar also. The Saker is great if you already have a bunch of different mounts or multiple hosts. Both have solid lock up and are extremely durable.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

wacki wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:

FYI: I'm pretty sure I'm buying a saker this weekend. Been struggling on saker vs. specwar forever. Not sure I care about the MAAD mount. Not the adaptability part anyway. I'm starting out fresh. Many seem to say no diff between compression and ASR. I do like the louder but more durable hoplon though.
The durability is what sells it for me. The Hoplon type baffle design works great.

In most LEO and .Gov environments their top priority is NOT sound suppression but durability, ease of use, cost vs reward, longevity, mounts etc...

Not saying that sound suppression isn't a priority its just not usually in the top priorities.

Chasing the dB is mostly a Form4 phenomenon. This is why you see the military and LEO with cans that are not the quietest, but have other features that make it more appealing for their environment.

Point is that its not always about sound reduction.
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

Saker form 3 started. Thanks!
Grounded
Silent But Deadly

Post by Grounded »

Bendersquint wrote:
wacki wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:

The durability is what sells it for me. The Hoplon type baffle design works great.

In most LEO and .Gov environments their top priority is NOT sound suppression but durability, ease of use, cost vs reward, longevity, mounts etc...

Not saying that sound suppression isn't a priority its just not usually in the top priorities.

Chasing the dB is mostly a Form4 phenomenon. This is why you see the military and LEO with cans that are not the quietest, but have other features that make it more appealing for their environment.

Point is that its not always about sound reduction.
Suppression level is making a comeback in addition to durability. The money being dumped into hearing loss is crazy.
07/02 behind enemy lines
seattlite
Silent But Deadly

Post by seattlite »

I know most Saker's are still in NFA purgatory so there are not many reviews out there, but how is Saker's POI shift?
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

seattlite wrote:I know most Saker's are still in NFA purgatory so there are not many reviews out there, but how is Saker's POI shift?
Nonexistant. Plenty of reviews at M4carbine.net. The saker is rock solid.
Romulan

Post by Romulan »

Actually, noise reduction is our top priority since there will be a high probability that most incidents involving these rifles will probably occur inside of concrete rooms with very little sound absorbtion.
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

Romulan wrote:Actually, noise reduction is our top priority since there will be a high probability that most incidents involving these rifles will probably occur inside of concrete rooms with very little sound absorbtion.
Then you want to go with the Liberty Leonidas in 300 Blackout. The bullet noise is only 2 dB louder than the firing pin. Scary quiet.

If you must stick with 5.56 and sound reduction is still tops in priority then:

Liberty Torch

followed by the supposedly more durable (no side-by-side destruction tests available):

SilencerCo / SWR SpecWar

if sound reduction is absolutely tops in priority. Both have lifetime warranties.

I've never seen those cans tested side by side on the same day with the same ammo with the same equipment but the Torch tests very well in the sound department. 35 dB reduction where most others get 33 dB, 30 dB or less reduction. A little Teflon tape will make any can with threads lock on tight. As for the full auto rated quick attach mount version, it doesn't have as sophisticated mounting system as other companies but everyone I talk to says it doesn't come off. I'm not LEO and you should probably demo cans first. Liberty is known as a great "bang for the buck" company that serves the civilian market but they really are tops at reducing sound.

You can see raw data here. The chart needs to be updated for 2013 but the Torch is the only can getting 35 dB in reduction with supersonic ammo. Keep in mind some of these tests were done with subsonic ammo. So pay attention to ammo, host, etc...

http://nfatalk.org/forum/showthread.php ... ht=RESULTS
Last edited by wacki on Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

Grounded wrote: Suppression level is making a comeback in addition to durability. The money being dumped into hearing loss is crazy.
Got any stats? Something to relay the scale?

Are these veterans or police officers losing hearing from just their training?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

wacki wrote:
Grounded wrote: Suppression level is making a comeback in addition to durability. The money being dumped into hearing loss is crazy.

A stat from police magazine few years ago said that over 98% of rounds fired by any LEO is during training so if that stat is valid that kinda sounds like they need to be wearing hearing protection during training.
Irishpride
Silent Operator

Post by Irishpride »

Simple. Look for a Great silencer manufacture who has an LEO/ Agency program. There pricing will be better then any inexpensive can out there. Shoot me a PM or email and I can walk you through agency pricing.
B&H Gun Sales
Merritt Island, FL
FFL, SOT Class 3 Dealer and LE MIlitary Distributer
[email protected]
(Facebook) B&H Gun Sales
Grounded
Silent But Deadly

Post by Grounded »

Bendersquint wrote:
wacki wrote:

A stat from police magazine few years ago said that over 98% of rounds fired by any LEO is during training so if that stat is valid that kinda sounds like they need to be wearing hearing protection during training.
Im not talking police as much as military. Estimates from the VA are upwards of $2B being spent on hearing loss from engagements.
07/02 behind enemy lines
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Grounded wrote:...
Im not talking police as much as military. Estimates from the VA are upwards of $2B being spent on hearing loss from engagements.
So is the OP with the police or the military?

What is relevant to the original query?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Grounded
Silent But Deadly

Post by Grounded »

doubloon wrote:
Grounded wrote:...
So is the OP with the police or the military?

What is relevant to the original query?

It was relevant to Bender's comment about "In most LEO and .Gov environments" but as a LEO your not banging down doors with ear pro on as you need to be able to communicate with the people around you and suppression levels are as important as anything else.
07/02 behind enemy lines