Does anyone use an ankle rig?

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Rob
Elite Member

Does anyone use an ankle rig?

Post by Rob »

For the days when it is impractical to carry my fullsize Kimber TLE I want to carry my PPK\s. My dad has a pocket holster that he keeps his PPK/s in but I keep far too much other stuff in my pocket for that. Does anyone use an ankle holster? What should I look for? Does anyone think that this is a bad idea and I should never leave the house without the .45?

Thanks,
Rob
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I have tried them a few times and hate them. I carry inside the pants in Comp-Tac Ghurka Kydex. Sometimes a P7, other times a 45, other times a G19, G32, or G20, etc. All in the same brand/model hoster now. I have a pile of more expensive holsters that don't work as well.
stymie
Silent But Deadly

Post by stymie »

I've carried a Manurhin .22lr PP & a Walther .380 PPK/S in ankle rigs.

They ALL flop around to some extent while walking! Alloy frames help somewhat!

My primary concern is quick access. Remember... you WILL have to pull up your pant leg with BOTH hands or risk a SNAG! That would be obviously time consuming & probably fatal.

You can hide an LWS .380 SEECAMP wherever your imagination takes you!

:wink:
Racer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Racer »

I do not like any ankle holster I have ever seen for a primary carry gun. It might be OK for a back-up. For me it is too difficult to get the gun into play rapidly and the one time I have had to draw things happened very fast even though it seemed like it was in slow motion. I would have been at a significant disadvantage with an ankle holster. My suggestion is to find a good inside the pants holster that works for you.

Your question on never leaving the house without a .45. Any gun is better than no gun and the more potent gun is better than the less. For me, the bottom line is to always (were legal) have the gun. If you are comfortable with always carrying your .45 then do so, but my suggestion is to not get a great gun, but leave it at home because it is too big or bulky or whatever. Get a gun that fits you and carry it.
Debo18
Silent But Deadly

Post by Debo18 »

I am 6'6" tall. My ankles are about a day away. Glock 23 with IWB Kydex works for me.

Debo
"It's the Bill of Rights, not the Bill of Needs"
Rob
Elite Member

Post by Rob »

Well, I have a G19 that works great at staying in my car, I never did take to carrying it on my person. I even sold my Sparks VMII that I bought for it. I can conceal my Kimber in my VMII pretty well but there are times that it is just too big. I normally have to have a coat or something over it. I had an IWB holster for the walther but when I stopped carrying it I misplaced the holster. Thanks for the help with the ankle rig. That was a passing thought. I have never owned one so I was curious. I'll look for another IWB.

STYMIE---You can hide an LWS .380 SEECAMP wherever your imagination takes you!

I completely agree, but for some reason I have yet to take home a seecamp. Perhaps a Rohrbaugh R9...I always liked things that are different. Maybe for Christmas.

Rob
pokey
Silent But Deadly

Post by pokey »

My dad has a pocket holster that he keeps his PPK/s in but I keep far too much other stuff in my pocket for that
Find other pockets for the less important stuff. You have to have priorities.
Rob
Elite Member

Post by Rob »

I suppose that I could buy more pairs of uber-tactical 5.11 pants but then again very few guns that I own could be considered tactical enough for them. :P

Rob

Post by Guest »

Well as stated before I carry a NAA.22 in a pocket holster and also a S&W airweight in a pocket holster, 1911a1 in a milt sparks summer special and may also carry a small 9mm in a back brace under a western shirt with snaps, no buttons, for quick access.

Western shirts with snap fronts allow very fast access in hot weather, and sweat shirts or bulky sweaters are good for cooler weather and winter jackets are great in cold weather with a hammerless 442 in the pocket, shoot right through it if you have to.

Ankle holsters are not my cup of tea, had one with thick felt backing and the muzzle kept hitting my ankle when it bounced around and takes too long to get to.

I see someone now makes a holster to wear a NAA mini derringer around the neck on a chain, I don't like the idea of the muzzle pointing at my throat or under my chin, but good idea otherwise.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:Well as stated before I carry a NAA.22 in a pocket holster and also a S&W airweight in a pocket holster, 1911a1 in a milt sparks summer special and may also carry a small 9mm in a back brace under a western shirt with snaps, no buttons, for quick access.

Western shirts with snap fronts allow very fast access in hot weather, and sweat shirts or bulky sweaters are good for cooler weather and winter jackets are great in cold weather with a hammerless 442 in the pocket, shoot right through it if you have to.

Ankle holsters are not my cup of tea, had one with thick felt backing and the muzzle kept hitting my ankle when it bounced around and takes too long to get to.

I see someone now makes a holster to wear a NAA mini derringer around the neck on a chain, I don't like the idea of the muzzle pointing at my throat or under my chin, but good idea otherwise.
Hush

Hm, I usually have to sign in before I submit post, must be a new feature?
stymie
Silent But Deadly

Post by stymie »

If your locale allows AOWs...

The vintage GALCO *shoot-through* wallet holsters might be just the ticket! (SEECAMP, Beretta 950, High Standard Derringer... )

My wallet? ... SURE!!!!!
Here ya go.........
:shock:
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

I didn't have much success with any of my ankle rigs.

Best with lightest gun ...

Best Ankle set up was someone's wellington boots with holster built into each one. I believe Fred used two model 60 S&W's - but the support was built into the boot so you didn't have to think about it and if you are built to cross your leg so the ankle could rest on your knee when sitting it worked real well. (bad knees myself - Youthful carpet laying job and football done me in. :cry: )
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
WLCHARM
Silent But Deadly

Rule #1

Post by WLCHARM »

The first rule in a gunfight is to have a gun!!!!!!!
Jersey Arms Works
S-701 Avenger
The Other MAC M-10/45!!!!!
chili17
Elite Member

Post by chili17 »

I like ankle rigs fine. It is rare that that will be my primary carry though. It is strictly for backup (by backup I mean arming someone else). They are great and easy to get to when you are driving.

Well Done

Post by Guest »

Racer wrote:I do not like any ankle holster I have ever seen for a primary carry gun.
:(! nice :))
tnilcnotlaw

Post by tnilcnotlaw »

I like the whole ankle carry idea, but i dont like the fact that the only ankle holsters that i have ever seen were for sub compact and compact guns. If i could find a ankle holster for a full size gun i think i would like it much better.
Beaten Paths Are For Beaten Men...
Tyris
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tyris »

tnilcnotlaw wrote:I like the whole ankle carry idea, but i dont like the fact that the only ankle holsters that i have ever seen were for sub compact and compact guns. If i could find a ankle holster for a full size gun i think i would like it much better.
With bell bottoms perhaps. :shock:

I doubt I could comfortably conceal a full size like a 1911 on my ankle wearing dress slacks without obvious printing. Also walking around with a 40+oz handgun on your ankle would get a bit awkward and probably tiresome.

However, just about any single stack fullsize just vanishes when worn at 4 o'clock on the hip.

-T
tnilcnotlaw

Post by tnilcnotlaw »

I understand what you are saying but i dont wear tapered leg wranglers or bell bottoms. I believe i could comfortably conceal my sig p226 with simply a pair of relaxed fit jeans. However you could be on to something with the weight.
Beaten Paths Are For Beaten Men...
mk23
Silent But Deadly

Post by mk23 »

tnilcnotlaw wrote:I like the whole ankle carry idea, but i dont like the fact that the only ankle holsters that i have ever seen were for sub compact and compact guns. If i could find a ankle holster for a full size gun i think i would like it much better.
I think it's mostly a size issue. You can hide a Sig if you tried really hard while standing still. However, once you start moving, they print pretty easy even with relaxed fit jeans.

I have a Glock 33 (357 sig) in a Galco ankle rig. I have the little pinkie extension on the mags. I am also a big guy (6.2, 240 or so), and the rig dissappears in every day situations. One of my best friends is a pretty experienced Air Marshall, and he couldn't spot it on me.
Eric_Rice
Silent Operator

Post by Eric_Rice »

I don't stock very many holsters, but I make sure to stock Renegade ankle rigs for popular pistols/revolvers.

I wear a .38 snubby on my ankle all day, every day. The Renegade is very comfy.

I always have the Airweight S&W with me, even if I can't conceal the GLOCK + spare mags + light.
Eric @ Daniel Defense
[url]http://www.danieldefense.com[/url]
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I am 5'9 152lbs and I can easily and comfortably conceal even a Glock 20 in a Comp-Tac Ghurka any time of year. I really see no need for pocket pistols with one exception. If I had the kind of job where I would get fired if I had a gun, then I would go deep cover (Thunderwear) with a Smith 38 special.
Eric_Rice
Silent Operator

Post by Eric_Rice »

rsilvers wrote:If I had the kind of job where I would get fired if I had a gun, then I would go deep cover.
Bingo! :wink:
Eric @ Daniel Defense
[url]http://www.danieldefense.com[/url]
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

My employees know I always carry a gun but if I worked at a hospital or someplace I would be very careful to have no one ever find out. Also I can dress with a shirt not tucked in. If I had to dress more formally it would be a problem. I know about the 'shirt-tucker' holsters but they still have issues.
PDNick

Post by PDNick »

When I worked, I carried an ankle rig as a back up. In fact, I carried it so much that I wore out several Galco ankle holsters. I felt naked if I didn't have a back up on me. Now, depending on how I dress, I still use it if I can't wear a paddle holster.
Poacher
Elite Industry Professional

Post by Poacher »

+1 on the renegade ankle holsters.

I tried several brands and the renegade worked well. But any gun carried on the ankle has to be light. I tried my G26, it's size and shape did not make it comfortable at all. I liked the airweight S&W .38 or a keltec .32 the most on my ankle.
Last edited by Poacher on Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."-- Vince Lombardi

Director of Training & Special Initiatives
Nighthawk Custom
[email protected]
877-268-4867