Need Advice for GemTech Out Back II |Disassembly

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

J80

Need Advice for GemTech Out Back II |Disassembly

Post by J80 »

My older sealed OutBack II is getting much louder than it has been. After many thousands of rounds of rounds, it needs cleaned. I've viewed a thread detailing how one poster was able to disassemble his Outback, but I am running into problems. The GT suggestion of using Ed's Red is a joke, and has not cleaned out anything but loose carbon.

GemTech isn't any help in this matter since they won't disassemble the can for service.

I have heated the can to 450 F for 45 minutes to remove the red Loctite. Which burned off the finish! I placed the can in a padded vice, and have attempted to remove the posterior cap using soft-jawed pliers. The cap will not move, and I don't want to damage the can. All I can think of at this point is to drill holes for a spanner wrench in the muzzle cap, but I would really like to avoid doing that.

Any suggestions how I can disassemble this can?

Thanks for the help!
MCKNBRD
Silent But Deadly

Re: Need Advice for GemTech Out Back II |Disassembly

Post by MCKNBRD »

Bendersquint...paging Dr. Bendersquint...

J80, if he doesn't chime in here in a sec, PM Bendersquint. He runs Stalking Rhino Industries, and they specialize in jailbreaking cans.

Byrdman
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!