Decouplers/LID/Nielsen/Piston question...

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

MCKNBRD
Silent But Deadly

Decouplers/LID/Nielsen/Piston question...

Post by MCKNBRD »

While still waiting on my .22LR and .30 cal stamps, I'm toying with the idea of another stamp for a pistol can.

Looking over the various pictures/drawings/diagrams I can find, I see that most all of the Nielsen-type devices are between 2 and 2-3/4-ish inches long, overall.

Why? Is there that much room needed to allow the barrel to move in the pistol's frame? The extra length adds weight and volume to the blast chamber area (increasing FRP, based on what I have learned here), as well as overall length that you can't put a baffle in.

I like the idea of an indexable piston (a la AAC's ASAP system) to help with consistent POI shift (if that is the best way to keep it consistent...the theory is sound, but I have no 1st-hand experience). I've seen several variations of the basic concept, but if ya'll have any ideas/drawings/recommendations, I'm wide open at this point.

Thoughts?

Specs I'm shooting for:
mostly 9mm, but up to .45ACP (yes, it may very well see double duty as a 300BLK sub can, too...)
1-3/8" to 1-5/8" OD
OAL in the 6-1/2" to 7-1/2" range (thinking Ti-Rant-45s size)
SS piston/LID assy & blast baffle, with 7075 baffles afterward, in a 7075 or Ti tube
Baffles will most likely be clipped cones, kinda like the Octane

Thanks in advance!
Byrdman
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Re: Decouplers/LID/Nielsen/Piston question...

Post by gunny50 »

MCKNBRD wrote: Specs I'm shooting for:
mostly 9mm, but up to .45ACP (yes, it may very well see double duty as a 300BLK sub can, too…) - 1-3/8" to 1-5/8" OD - OAL in the 6-1/2" to 7-1/2" range (thinking Ti-Rant-45s size)
SS piston/LID assy & blast baffle, with 7075 baffles afterward, in a 7075 or Ti tube - Baffles will most likely be clipped cones, kinda like the Octane

Thanks in advance!
Byrdman
Piston 17/4 for long term use, also ETG 100 heartened and QPQ would be great but will be more costly in finish etc etc.
Length has also to do with keeping things in line, as it is a moving part it needs clearance.
The shorter the piston unit the more play / larger your opening needs to be in the baffles.
Indexing can be done with several options. I like the away the piston looks like a sprocket (not sure if i used the right word)
Pin in sidewall or pin in the connector will give you the index.
I made several kinds of Boosters for both 30 and 35mm cans. 9 / 40 / 45

for 9 and 45 K would be best also K is great for sub 300BA.

I do not know what machines you have or can use, there are some baffles that can be mixed so you have the best of both worlds, large gas volume of 300BA and also pistol gas volume.

For the 45 / 35mm dia
For 9mm / 30mm dia - did also made a piston like the above 45 cap model for other 9mm silencer model.

edited for spelling and picture
Gunny
Last edited by gunny50 on Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

The reason 2- 2.75" is needed for the piston is that only 35% can be effectively used during the spring compression. About .65-.75" is used for the length that screws onto barrel and passes through the endcap. (Maybe you are already accounting for this. I don't know.)

Have you considered alternate methods for relieving inertia? Like my previously posted idea of a movable baffle stack w spring return? This will have the added benefit of adaptive chamber placement and added turbulence.

Then, a lighter recoil spring will adjust for the added mass of tube and attachment. :D
Last edited by whiterussian1974 on Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

MCKNBRD wrote:While still waiting on my .22LR and .30 cal stamps, I'm toying with the idea of another stamp for a pistol can.

Looking over the various pictures/drawings/diagrams I can find, I see that most all of the Nielsen-type devices are between 2 and 2-3/4-ish inches long, overall.

Why? Is there that much room needed to allow the barrel to move in the pistol's frame? The extra length adds weight and volume to the blast chamber area (increasing FRP, based on what I have learned here), as well as overall length that you can't put a baffle in.

I like the idea of an indexable piston (a la AAC's ASAP system) to help with consistent POI shift (if that is the best way to keep it consistent...the theory is sound, but I have no 1st-hand experience). I've seen several variations of the basic concept, but if ya'll have any ideas/drawings/recommendations, I'm wide open at this point.

Thoughts?

Specs I'm shooting for:
mostly 9mm, but up to .45ACP (yes, it may very well see double duty as a 300BLK sub can, too...)
1-3/8" to 1-5/8" OD
OAL in the 6-1/2" to 7-1/2" range (thinking Ti-Rant-45s size)
SS piston/LID assy & blast baffle, with 7075 baffles afterward, in a 7075 or Ti tube
Baffles will most likely be clipped cones, kinda like the Octane

Thanks in advance!
Byrdman
Nielsen devices contribute to the overall suppression and are no longer a simple "LID". The length in part is to maintain alinement between the barrel and the floating suppressor.The movement of the suppressor is a fraction of a inch in movement in use.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895