9mm can

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Re: 9mm can

Post by dtom29 »

themonk wrote:For those of you mentioning the mistic, I already have a sparrow and a sdn6, would you recommend it over the octane or tirant as just a 9mm can?
No, I wouldn't. The Mystic is a very versatile silencer that works on a pistol. The TiRant, Infinity or Octane would be better for a pistol because of the lighter weight of all of them. You'll get the argument (lol, as you have read) that weight doesn't matter. That's usually made by someone who hasn't shot a heavy silencer next to a light weight ( not you Emilio :wink: ) or someone trying to justify the cheaper price of a heavy. Weight matters...alot. In my opinion it is just as important as suppression.
Mystic- 16 oz
Infinity- 11.9 oz
Octane- 10.78 oz
TiRant- 8.6 oz
There are lots of reasons to get a Mystic (I have one) but there are better choices for a dedicated 9mm pistol suppressor.

JMO...
JOHN_E
Senior Silent Operator

Post by JOHN_E »

rimshaker wrote:Like I mentioned, the Tirant is uniformly quieter than the Octane over a wider range of ammo loads/brands. Not by a lot, but enough to notice.

The K-baffles have the advantage. Also the Tirant's piston housing design is superior. It encases the entire piston/spring, which ultimately muffles the muzzle blast sound signature better. The Octane has the piston/spring completely open and exposed in its blast chamber.

The Tirant redirects gasses/blowback better too. Notice the 3 grooves on the Octane/Osprey pistons? Gasses can escape rearward, causing gunk to blowback onto the host. I really hate that. The endcap internal o-ring doesn't matter since the grooves bypass underneath it.

Having said all that, the Octane really is a breeze to maintain and clean. The SS baffles will no doubt outlive the Al K baffles. I'm ok with giving up 1-2dB sound performance for those reasons.
Interesting, I wish that I had that information before I bought my Octane. I didn't mention it, but the blowback from this suppressor is irritating.

Maybe an Octane HD 3 will come out and correct this issue? I would gladly pay for an upgrade.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

How are groves on the outside of the threaded barrel fouling the host. :mrgreen:

OMG people!

Johny-E you give up so fast! Don't be a quitter! have your piston cap checked or go to the shoot, find a NORMAL Octane and trade caps and pistons to test on his gun then your gun. ( will answer two things)

All makers screw up, AAC had their share too. My TL had to go back when they made a run cut for an insert for the TI model, did I give up and say it sucked? NO fixed in two weeks.

I fix guns, how many times have you heard people say a "good" gun is a POS or Jamomatic and you know it's not true.

I am shocked other Octane owners haven't chimed in! Where are you spineless bastards! :lol:
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

dtom29 wrote:Clean your octane every thousand rounds?? Why? You guys are stuck on this cleaning thing or your Octane's really need a design change. As far as jacketed bullets go, I didn't shoot lead before I had silencers and I don't shoot lead now. No change, no special load except I went to 147 grain bullets. So, rimshaker laid it out perfectly except there really is no reason to clean the TiRant every other day so the arguement comes down to OCD....are you or aren't you...if you are then by all means get an Octane, clean a lot shoot a little. If you aren't get a TiRant shoot a lot, clean every year or two have fun. Oh, Emilio, I usually enjoy your posts but lately this obsession with SWR/ henry Graham/Octane...etc has become a "problem". You should look into getting some help. :wink:
It takes away from the great information you used to put out. Also, it's 2.1 oz. and I don't care how much of a man you are, it changes the dynamics of the gun. When there are better,lighter options why go second rate.

Why clean every 1000 rounds? Because it gets heavy and we wouldn't want to hand it to someone with girly arms who are sensitive over an ounce. :lol: ( I joke) :mrgreen:

You should inspect the core more often though. :wink:

As for "this obsession with SWR/ henry Graham/Octane" , there is a cure for that. :mrgreen:

Also, no passion no life. All the greats had passion. :mrgreen:
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

dtom29 wrote:Clean your octane every thousand rounds?? Why? You guys are stuck on this cleaning thing or your Octane's really need a design change. As far as jacketed bullets go, I didn't shoot lead before I had silencers and I don't shoot lead now. No change, no special load except I went to 147 grain bullets. So, rimshaker laid it out perfectly except there really is no reason to clean the TiRant every other day so the arguement comes down to OCD....are you or aren't you...if you are then by all means get an Octane, clean a lot shoot a little. If you aren't get a TiRant shoot a lot, clean every year or two have fun...
Actually it's the other way around. Since I can dip the Octane baffles, now I can shoot a lot clean a little. For me the Tirant was shoot a little (under 1k) clean a helluva lot! Ran out of elbow grease.

I can only imagine what your Tirant looks like inside after 1-2 years of shooting lol :shock:
mpallett
Elite Industry Professional

Post by mpallett »

Emilio wrote:
As for "this obsession with SWR/ henry Graham/Octane" , there is a cure for that. :mrgreen:
Yup, just need a little Pallett ...
Over weight Telco guy with a FFL/07 for hire :)
laxguy59
Silent But Deadly

Post by laxguy59 »

marcus99 wrote:
laxguy59 wrote:As for suppression, between the Octane and Tirant they are really about tied. Meter numbers change with ammo, temp, and elevation. The averages between the two could be higher or lower than the other on any given day.
Have you shot an Octane9? Have you shot a Tirant9? Have you shot a Mystic? Have you shot them side-by-side on identical hosts using the same ammo? How about over a fairly extensive period of time, extending through various climates (40 degree winter to 80+ degree summer), on about half a dozen different hosts and over a dozen individual hosts? Have you also played with various ammo, including powders, primers, and bullets? Have you had a second set of ears there to compare your observations to?

Because I have.
I think we had about 20 people there, 2 meters, on top of shooting experience with 4 of the major silencer company's lines, ammo galore, but it was 95 F so you win on the cold weather :(
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

rimshaker wrote:
dtom29 wrote:Clean your octane every thousand rounds?? Why? You guys are stuck on this cleaning thing or your Octane's really need a design change. As far as jacketed bullets go, I didn't shoot lead before I had silencers and I don't shoot lead now. No change, no special load except I went to 147 grain bullets. So, rimshaker laid it out perfectly except there really is no reason to clean the TiRant every other day so the arguement comes down to OCD....are you or aren't you...if you are then by all means get an Octane, clean a lot shoot a little. If you aren't get a TiRant shoot a lot, clean every year or two have fun...
Actually it's the other way around. Since I can dip the Octane baffles, now I can shoot a lot clean a little. For me the Tirant was shoot a little (under 1k) clean a helluva lot! Ran out of elbow grease.

I can only imagine what your Tirant looks like inside after 1-2 years of shooting lol :shock:
See, thats the problem...I don't care what it "looks like", and the performance is unchanged. I go back to my OCD rant :wink: , You guys are too worried about a little soot that has no effect on performance.