Can a serial number be placed on an end cap?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

BenY 2013

Can a serial number be placed on an end cap?

Post by BenY 2013 »

I'm about to lose access to the CNC mill I had planned on previously using to engrave my serial number in my Form 1 can. So I got into looking at etching the serial number into the tube. However, the tube is Titanium and I am finding very very little on how to etch Ti. So since my endcaps are made from stainless steel I was wondering about etching them with my serial number instead. Is there any issue with having the serial number on an endcap from a legal or practical standpoint?

Also if anyone has info on etching Ti I would very much appreciate the information! Also wouldn't mind reading up on etching stainless while I am at it. I appreciate the help.

Ben
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Can a serial number be placed on an end cap?

Post by Bendersquint »

BenY 2013 wrote:I'm about to lose access to the CNC mill I had planned on previously using to engrave my serial number in my Form 1 can. So I got into looking at etching the serial number into the tube. However, the tube is Titanium and I am finding very very little on how to etch Ti. So since my endcaps are made from stainless steel I was wondering about etching them with my serial number instead. Is there any issue with having the serial number on an endcap from a legal or practical standpoint?

Also if anyone has info on etching Ti I would very much appreciate the information! Also wouldn't mind reading up on etching stainless while I am at it. I appreciate the help.

Ben
You can not legally engrave the endcap, gotta be the tube.

Why not engrave the tube? You have a mill......
BenY 2013

Post by BenY 2013 »

Bendersquint wrote:
BenY 2013 wrote:I'm about to lose access to the CNC mill I had planned on previously using to engrave my serial number in my Form 1 can. So I got into looking at etching the serial number into the tube. However, the tube is Titanium and I am finding very very little on how to etch Ti. So since my endcaps are made from stainless steel I was wondering about etching them with my serial number instead. Is there any issue with having the serial number on an endcap from a legal or practical standpoint?

Ben

Huh, well saw some pics of some manufactures with the engraving on the endcaps, figured it must be ok to do. Mill is being used right now. I'll most likely be gone before it is finished. But I may work something out if the endcaps can't be engraved on. May have to stay late after the other guys leave or something. I appreciate the reply.

Ben
BenY 2013

Post by BenY 2013 »

Sorry double post..

Ben
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

BenY 2013 wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:

Ben

Huh, well saw some pics of some manufactures with the engraving on the endcaps, figured it must be ok to do. Mill is being used right now. I'll most likely be gone before it is finished. But I may work something out if the endcaps can't be engraved on. May have to stay late after the other guys leave or something. I appreciate the reply.

Ben
Manufacturers have different things available to them that Form1 guys don't. You can NEVER look at a commercial can and assume that a Form1 builder can do the same things....we have the ability to get variances.....Form1 holders do not.

If the endcap is welded to the tube then its fine.
300sniper
Silent Operator

Post by 300sniper »

Bendersquint wrote:

Ben

I've seen where ATFE recommends that the tube be the serialized part but cannot find anywhere that states it is the requirement. Can you post the CFR stating that you cannot legally engrave the end cap?
It's time to switch to whiskey, we've been drinkin' beer all night.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

Bendersquint wrote:

Ben
??? Where is that law?
LostintheAOs

Post by LostintheAOs »

Taken straight from the ATF website:

The silencer must be marked in accordance with 27 C.F.R. §§ 478.92 and 479.102. The regulations require that the markings be conspicuous and legible, meaning that the markings may be placed on any external part, such as the outer tube or end cap.

ATF strongly recommends that manufacturers place all required markings on the outer tube of the silencer, as this is the accepted industry standard. Moreover, this practice eliminates the need to remark in the event an end cap bearing the markings is damaged and requires replacement.
montage11

Post by montage11 »

I have the same situation. Ti tube; aluminum endcaps. I've read ATF's recommendation a dozen times. I interpret it as saying that an end cap serial #'s isn't RECOMMENDED because if it's struck, you have to go thru the entire process of remaking and remarking the end cap "PART" (OMG!!)....the recommend instead to put # on the tube, that way if the serialized tube is damaged, you don't have to repair it, just destroy it away, pay another $200 tax, and make another can!

I think you could compromise...put serial # on the cap, and if tube is damaged, replace blank tube with a different blank tube, then destroy the perfectly repaired and working can, and send another $200 to ATF to approve another can and wait. Everybody wins. You get to repair a can. You get to destroy a perfectly good can. You get to wait 2 months. ATF gets another $200. And you get to make another redundant silencer.

For a form 1 guy, This may be the most 'Pro' form 1 recommendation ever.
srs
Silent Operator

Post by srs »

I see the problem here....

You are expecting clarity, consistency, and logic.....

From the ATF.

:roll:
Elkins45
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Elkins45 »

Why not put it on the 'other' endcap? If you have a baffle strike on the mounting end I have to assume you have bigger problems.