Silencers with Piston or turbine mechanisms

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Mincer

Silencers with Piston or turbine mechanisms

Post by Mincer »

Hello all,
I'm a noob here and currently live in a silencer-free zone (Chicago), however I'll be moving to Florida this coming summer and am eagerly awaiting my chance to legally purchase and use suppressors. One day, I'd like to try my hand at building my own. As a general firearm enthusiast (Long range precision shooting is my thing) I've always had an interest in suppressors and have a few ideas rolling around in my head lately about building a better mousetrap. I wish I'd been interested years ago when my father owned a machine shop and I had access to all the manufacturing equipment I could dream of, but better late than never.
Enough with the introductions...
My apologies if this information is already out there, but like I said, I'm a noob and my usual Googling came up short. Most suppressors tend to operate on more or less the same principles of using a series of baffles to capture and delay release of rapidly expanding gasses. While there are variations on the shape or number of baffles, the "mechanism" is very simple and essentially the same. My question is, why are there no silencers with moving parts inside? Is the fouling and heat so extreme that it's too unreliable? Here are the ideas that I would like to explore:

1) I always thought that someone would come out with a spring loaded "Piston" type expansion chamber that could get pushed open by the backflow of the blast and then spring forward back into place. Stoeger makes an integrally suppressed airgun (X20) with a barrel/suppressor concept like this. Couldn't this mechanism also supply the energy to cycle the weapon replacing a standard gas tube or piston?

2) Looking at what OSS is doing in conjunction with HK right now, what if those "turbine" looking diffusers would actually spin on bearings when hit with gas instead of just directing air statically. If multiple turbines were set into motion spinning around the end of the barrel in opposing directions, isn't it possible that the "active" suppressor could also act as a stabilizing gyroscope for follow up shots? My guess is that this might just defeat the purpose of the suppressor and make each shot sound like an air wrench, but like I said... I'm just thinking out loud here.
Any examples of what I've proposed?
Thank you!!!
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Re: Silencers with Piston or turbine mechanisms

Post by quiettime »

Mincer wrote:Hello all,
I'm a noob here and currently live in a silencer-free zone (Chicago), however I'll be moving to Florida this coming summer and am eagerly awaiting my chance to legally purchase and use suppressors.
Come on down. If everyone moving here was into suppressors instead of complaining about how hot/boring/stupid/etc it is here I wouldn't complain about the increase intraffic so much :lol:
1) I always thought that someone would come out with a spring loaded "Piston" type expansion chamber that could get pushed open by the backflow of the blast and then spring forward back into place. Stoeger makes an integrally suppressed airgun (X20) with a barrel/suppressor concept like this. Couldn't this mechanism also supply the energy to cycle the weapon replacing a standard gas tube or piston?
Moving parts can get gunked up but also wear out (springs wear out too) and since you cannot repair or replace parts in suppressors yourself you would have to have it repaired by a MFG. Not so great. Other countries can afford to experiment more. Here we like our cans to last as long as possible.
2) Looking at what OSS is doing in conjunction with HK right now, what if those "turbine" looking diffusers would actually spin on bearings when hit with gas instead of just directing air statically.
Aww, you mean it doesn't?? :cry: LOL

Turbochargers do a pretty good job of muffling exhaust noise even in the absence of a muffler, but they do have that whistle sound. Some suppressors have been designed to change the sound signature of the shot to a less recognizable sound but modern cans are getting so quiet this is not as much of an issue anymore. Then there's that moving-parts-to-wear-out thing again.

As far as the OSS can, I saw a vid where they shot the rifle unsuppressed, then added the "turbine" section with almost no difference, but then added the "moderator" section and it got quieter. I think you'll find most of the folks on here will favor a smaller, lighter can with same sound reduction over a heavier, more complex design. The OSS, while novel, is rather large, heavy and expensive.

Exciting things are happening right now in the suppressor world, driven by ever increasing interest and acceptance. You're going to see some amazing cans coming out to top those that are already very impressive
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

Mincer-
You might want to check out some of these Threads. We've discussed several ideas. Hopefuuly you can add some new thoughts.

Does anyone have ideas for radical designs?
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=123579
Telescopic Suppressor!
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=121297
Oneway valves use on Slowfire semis.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120801
Idea for blastchamber finned heatsink.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=123367

Y Bienvenidos a ST. :)
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
Mincer

Post by Mincer »

Thanks Quiettime and WhiteRussian for talking the time to read my post and offering assistance! I hope to have more time to play with some of these concepts in the future when I'm out of the city and have a have a proper workshop set up to tinker.
I used to be a professional audio engineer and spent the last few years in that business consulting on acoustic design and construction of recording studios. The emphasis was more on tuning a room's sound signature using different types of materials and some basic physics. Of course there was also an element of sound proofing and isolation, but we're talking multiple layers of walls, floating floors and ceilings, custom built rooms inside of rooms, etc.
I have a quite a few innovative ideas and techniques about mitigating noise, but trying to compress those onto the end of a rifle barrel is an entirely different beast.
Worst case scenario, I can always build myself a soundproof testing chamber and just use trial and error.
:D