Blowback on Optic

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderators: Kenny_SilencerCo, Andrew@Silencerco

mvasilakis

Blowback on Optic

Post by mvasilakis »

Hi,
I just got my first suppressors a couple months ago. I've gone out a handful of times and I keep running into an issue where suppressor blowback is fogging my Aimpoint. I do get it in the face too but this seems to be coming from further up.

My setup is a DD 10.3" MK18 on a self assembled lower, Trifecta flash hider and a Saker 556 can. The first time I shot some Brake Free CLR into the can before I shot it. Smoked up pretty bad. Came home soaked it in mineral spirits to clean it out. Dried it and shot only a little EWL on the teeth. Haven't cleaned it since. I figured the first time I was a window licker because I should have just shot it dry. After that though I expected to get less crap in the face and on the optic since I didn't put any crap in the can. Is the oil on the teeth blowing back onto the optic? Is that normal? Suggestions?
jh1990
Silent Operator

Re: Blowback on Optic

Post by jh1990 »

DD MK18 uppers are notoriously over-gassed as is. When you add a suppressor you are increasing the gas even more so keep that in mind. An adjustable gas block would be a nice thing to have for that upper.

You should always shoot center-fire rifle cans dry. Other than that I would imagine the oil could be blowing back from the teeth on to your optics. I'd get everything dry and try it again.
jdasilva
Silent But Deadly

Re: Blowback on Optic

Post by jdasilva »

An adjustable gas block or an adams arms piston kit would rid you of that issue. buds has it for little over $200