New to the site, New to NFA items

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

KnotRight

New to the site, New to NFA items

Post by KnotRight »

Been into handguns and shotguns for many years and just getting into shooting rifles about 3 years ago. With in the last 6 months I decided that I would like to suppress some 22 handguns, 9 mm handguns and a 5.56. Got a trust in place and starting to shop around.

There is a lot to look at not knowing much about the different companies. My plans is to put the first can on the AR and then the second on a 9. Problem that I have with the handguns is, none of my handguns are threaded. I have a bunch of different brand 22s and a few 9s. I am thinking about getting a thread barrel for the PPQ and 1911-9 right now. Any suggestions there to find a drop in barrel?

Next question, I know what subsonic means but how do you load a subsonic 5.56? With the 9s, I would be using a 147 gr bullet and it should get me where I need to be. But what do you load a 223/5.56 with and to what velocity?
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Re: New to the site, New to NFA items

Post by poikilotrm »

Subsonic is less than 1100FPS. There are companies that make subsonic 5.56, although why you would want that I don't know. There are a number of companies that make drop in .22 barrels. If we knew what you had we could probably help. Swenson makes a quality 1911 barrel.

I suggest you buy all your cans at once on the same form to save time and aggravation. At a minimum get a .30, a .45, and a .22 can.
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
JasonNC
Senior Silent Operator

Post by JasonNC »

At a minimum get a .30, a .45, and a .22 can.
This is how I started out. I went with a Silencero Sparrow first. Then I went with a YHM .30 Ti Phantom and finished up with a Silencerco Osprey in .45. Problem was I didn't "finish up" there. Then I started wanting dedicated cans for 5.56 and 9mm. Then I wanted a second and third .22 can. Now I am thinking, why not have a Salvo 12 to silence my shotguns. Then I see all these new cans coming out like the Silencerco Omega and I think... Sure I can get two .308 cans. Sure I have mounts for all my .308s alright, heck I guess that means I should buy some more .308s right? :lol:

Now adays, the NFA stuff has my full attention. When I buy a gun, its more of an accessory for a can than as a stand alone purchase anymore. My advice is do a lot of research before you buy. There are a lot of good suppressors out there!!
It is not the Death Rattle in the throat of Western civilization which is surprising: it is the fact that millions of Americans believe that the death rattle is a beautiful song!
GUNHEEP

Post by GUNHEEP »

I suppressed my ruger sr22 with an AAC ELEMENT 2.. All you hear is the bolt cycling.and a hand clap for a FRP.
I am going to suppress my hk mk23 socom with a silencerco octane..can't wait to hear how it sounds ...hopefully no sound at all...
Andy
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

poikilotrm wrote:Subsonic is less than 1100FPS. There are companies that make subsonic 5.56, although why you would want that I don't know. There are a number of companies that make drop in .22 barrels. If we knew what you had we could probably help. Swenson makes a quality 1911 barrel.

I suggest you buy all your cans at once on the same form to save time and aggravation. At a minimum get a .30, a .45, and a .22 can.

I agree with buying all at once if you can afford to do so. It'll just make the wait an all inclusive one. It seems like I've been waiting for 3 years now. May as well get the SBR's now too. You'll end up wanting one or two of those as well. I thought I wouldn't but then I picked one up while getting a suppressor that was approved and told the dealer right then and there to go ahead and order one in 5.56 and another in 300 Blackout. Like my attached signature at the bottom says....."I gotta stop this habit"
I've gotta stop this habit.
Joshua@CapitolArmory
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Joshua@CapitolArmory »

With subsonic 5.56/.223... there may be some folks out there that love it, I'm not one.

It generally doesn't cycle the weapon properly (or at all in most cases) and it costs an arm and a leg. When you do load it, you've basically got an expensive .22LR. (Not exactly, but you get the idea.)

I think it's usually best to just run supersonic 5.56 and if you want a 22 caliber projectile to be really quite... 22LR is the way to go.
Joshua

[email protected]
Capitol Armory
FFL/SOT
www.CapitolArmory.com
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Welcome. Start getting used to a shrinking bank account from this point foward lol.

It's usually best to get a factory threaded barrel for a pistol, if they exist. But sometimes aftermarket barrels are the only option.

223/556 are not silencer-friendly. Subsonic 556 is basically... 22LR! So there's really no point in it.
Just have to accept that suppressed 556 will always be loud (sonic crack), but at least the blast concussion and recoil can be tamed.
Brittsc
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Brittsc »

I got into suppressors about 4 years ago. I have numerous cans now. My best friend is just getting into it now and he is learning from my choices. This is free, so do what you want with it. I started with a 556 and 45 can. I wish I had started with a 308 or even 22 instead of the 556 first and the 45. I don't regret buying 556 cans but wish I had bought a bigger can first. My buddy just bought and Osprey 45 and Spectre II after shooting some of my stuff. I think he will be very happy. My 556 can is amazing on my bolt gun, but in the AR platform its just nice. I will NOT make you giggle on and AR, like some of the other calibers will. My 22 and 45 suppressors just make me laugh when I shoot them. Rimshaker said it best, the 556 will always be loud, but the suppressor will take a lot of the blast concussion away, which again, is very nice. Where are you? My last bit of free advice is to shoot some of the suppressor calibers you are interested in. I am always willing to let someone shoot mine at the range. That's exactly how my friend got into them. He had no interest at all in them till he shot my 45 and 22 suppressors, now he's bought one of each in the past 2 weeks. Obviously you stated 9, so just replace that where ever I had 45.

Britt
Piedmont, SC
KnotRight

Post by KnotRight »

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking about starting out with the AR but if it does not make that much of a difference I think about starting out with the hand guns. I just need to order some thread barrels or a couple more guns (no problem there) with threaded barrels from the factory.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

I would be a bit cautious about buying 3-4 cans from one dealer at one time unless they are well established and not just a "branch" office of a gunshop in a town far away. They are holding you thousands of dollar investment in their gunsafe for months. If they go out of business, or move, well it is "sorry about that". Getting you suppressors can then be difficult.

This is what happened to me. Bought two cans, about two grand worth, from an online source who sent them to a local dealer to complete the Form 4 and hold my cans until ATF stamped them. 9-10 months go by. Went by the store and closed and out of business. What I was able to find out was the local shop's license with ATF was through another store in another town. They were partners in my local store, and had a falling out. Took a lot of detective work and much hand-ringing. I found my cans. Had to pay another $100.00 handling fee to get them in my hands.
Shootsmith

Post by Shootsmith »

More free advice...

You already got your trust, good!
SBRs (Short Barreled Rifles) and silencers go hand in hand. If you are gonna add a silencer to the end of your barrel which adds length and weight, why not shorten the barrel which could make it stiffer and lighter? A shorter barrel and a "can" cancel each other out. 16" barrel or 10.3" barrel plus 6" suppressor can?
Research the companies. There are now more companies than ever with established names in the industry moving around and starting new companies. New tech and old tech.
For rifles and QD (quick detach) cans, you are buying into a system and their muzzle brake(s).
For pistols and QD cans, you are buying into their mounting system through their pistons.
I would not buy dedicated 5.56 or 9mm cans. You can shoot 5.56 in 7.62 cans with minimal performance loss, and the bigger can is more versatile. Same with pistol cans - you can shoot 9mm and .40 in a .45 can.
Yes you can shoot .22lr in any can, but since it's so dirty and deposits lead, you are better off getting a dedicated separate .22 can.
Many companies sell drop in replacement pistol barrels that are threaded for suppressors. You also need to buy the correct piston for that caliber thread pitch.
Subsonic 223/556 doesn't make much sense. Look into 300 Blackout. Don't forget about pistol caliber carbines.

My first purchases:
For rifles I went with the Surefire SOCOM 7.62. My thinking was good muzzle brakes, good QD system, can shoot on .308, .243, .223, and .300Blk, plus it is rated for shorter barrels.
For pistols I went SilencerCo Octane 45. My thinking was that pistons threadings are available, plus I can shoot .45, .40, 9mm, and .22. Also subsonic .300Blk. I did not go with the Osprey bc you can't take it apart.
For a .22 can I went with the SilencerCo Spectre II. Thoughts were one of the best, quietest, easy to disassemble & clean (ultrasonic cleaner), and full auto rated. Can also use on .22 mag.

Gateway drugs:
Rifles: I have since purchased the Surefire SOCOM 7.62 Mini, the SOCOM 300 SPS, and the SureFire Warden Blast Diverter. All use the same SF muzzle brakes which are on all of my rifles!
Pistols: Purchased the shorter SilencerCo Octane 45 K can. Also bought the 9mm end cap. Uses all of the Silencer pistons and fixed mounts I already have. Multiple pistol cans means you don't have to switch pistons as much.
22s: Purchased the Silencer Co Warlock and Sparrow. You'll quickly figure out that you shoot .22 suppressed more than anything else.

Future NFA purchases:
Salvo 12 shotgun suppressor? I keep telling myself that I won't buy one until I shoot and hear one in person :o)
Full auto? (Trying to make due with slide-fire mock full auto)

Welcome to the NFA game and hope that helps!