Material Question

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

garredondojr
Silent But Deadly

Material Question

Post by garredondojr »

I'm seriously wanting to give titanium a try for my 9mm form 1 when it comes in but my question is say I attempt to try and make my baffles out of titanium and I do not succeed can I cut up the work in progress and switch to aluminum as a baffle never was formed? likewise say I break through the material doing the plung cuts do I cut the baffle in half and try another untill a correctly built baffle is obtained?
CMV
Silent But Deadly

Re: Material Question

Post by CMV »

Yes. If you scrap a part in process destroy it & make another. The issue is when you're done but not happy with the end result performance you are then stuck with it. You can keep tweaking what you already made, but just scrapping completed parts for a 'do over' isn't legal for a F1 builder.

The internet lawyers will surely chime in & say something along the lines of "if the part didn't suppress like it should it obviously wasn't made right so scrapping it & starting over is no different than if a tool broke & ruined the part as you were making it." I just saved them the trouble - no matter how wrong that statement may be. In the end - do whatever you want in the privacy of your own shop - just don't document your [potential] felonies on the interwebs :)
--------------------------------------

"Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes"
"This board is currently disabled"
These things make me :(
garredondojr
Silent But Deadly

Re: Material Question

Post by garredondojr »

ok good to know. I knew once a bullet goes through the can it's set in stone just wasn't sure about prior to that. after seeing your coolant system I remembered I have a new methanol injection kit from my forced induction days that should work well for a coolant system. I figure i'll buy the bar stock and if I succeed in making the baffles i'll go ahead and order the tube and have a full Ti can.