Life Expectancy

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

ejewels

Life Expectancy

Post by ejewels »

Hey Guys,

Sorry if this has come up, but what's the real life expectancy of a modern suppressor like the tirant or octane? I read an article on Jesse James weird suppressor where he claimed most other suppressors have a 2500 round life expectancy. Seems super low to me or something's not right. But then again why would someone new to market make who's trying to appear reputable make a statement like that?
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Re: Life Expectancy

Post by wildfowler »

I have a lot more rounds than that through my octane. At least 4000, and possibly Waymore than that.

My trident 9 has even more rounds. It is starting to show a little erosion on the baffles that are made from aluminum. Sound and function does not seem to be diminished that I can tell.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
speed6
Senior Silent Operator

Post by speed6 »

If treated properly and made from proper materials, the baffles probably last 10s of thousands of rounds...and when they do erode enough to start becoming noticeably louder, send it back to the manufacturer or a reputable SOT (stalking rhino and curtis tactical are both very good from what I hear), have them replace the baffles/core and you're back in business. The tube will last a long, LONG time if treated properly. If it's a ferrous material (don't know about Ti though) it is possible to design one with an essentially infinite fatigue life (Al does not exhibit an "endurance limit" phenomena IIRC...but it will still last a LONG time--like your lifetime and maybe then some--if designed properly).
Fulmen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulmen »

speed6 wrote:If it's a ferrous material ... it is possible to design one with an essentially infinite fatigue life
Newer research indicates that this isn't true, it appears that all materials have a finite fatigue limit. But it is incredible hard to test as we're talking years of high-frequency vibrations, not something you can achieve by a few life times of firing a gun.
ejewels

Post by ejewels »

Thanks guys. So sounds like the 2500 round thing is BS and marketing. Or maybe he's referring to old rifle suppressors. But still... who would buy a suppressor only to shoot 2500 rounds out of? Ridiculous.

On another note, whats the best way to store a Tirant45? Its been sitting unfired for a while in its case (in the plastic too) and since I don't use it all the time, are there things to watch out for / care for? Should you put oil anywhere?
tf2addict
Silent Operator

Post by tf2addict »

Barrel length and how hot you get it will affect service life. A 10" barrel that is mag dumped frequently vs a 16" slow fire will probably have noticeably different service lives.
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

Rate of fire would also be a considerable factor with JJ's potato, considering he used a rubber seal in a groove to seal the two bolted-together halves. Really gotta wonder about that guy's sanity.
speed6
Senior Silent Operator

Post by speed6 »

Fulmen wrote:
speed6 wrote:If it's a ferrous material ... it is possible to design one with an essentially infinite fatigue life
Newer research indicates that this isn't true, it appears that all materials have a finite fatigue limit. But it is incredible hard to test as we're talking years of high-frequency vibrations, not something you can achieve by a few life times of firing a gun.
Didn't know that, interesting!
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

not a fan of him.

2500 rounds of 308 or 300 win mag through aluminum baffles maybe. That sounds like something he would do.

Not too very long ago, someone linked his website and I looked over it and saw an SGW sks bullpup conversion with a cheap red dot.

Basically about $550 in it for the gun and stock and tasco red dot and all.

His price tag was something like $1500.

And they didn't even cut the barrel down or add a flash hider or anything.

Guy is a red jacket wannabe.
I don't care what your chart says
vaeevictiss
Silent But Deadly

Post by vaeevictiss »

ejewels wrote:Hey Guys,

Sorry if this has come up, but what's the real life expectancy of a modern suppressor like the tirant or octane? I read an article on Jesse James weird suppressor where he claimed most other suppressors have a 2500 round life expectancy. Seems super low to me or something's not right. But then again why would someone new to market make who's trying to appear reputable make a statement like that?

bold part is the problem with that claim... lol