NYPD says, "we're switching"

Discuss anything with like-minded people.
No posting of copyrighted material.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

johndoe3
Silent But Deadly

NYPD says, "we're switching"

Post by johndoe3 »

:wink:

http://www.businessinsider.com/nypd-app ... one-2017-8
In October of 2016, the New York Police Department finished a two-year-long rollout of Windows-based smartphones to all of its 36,000 officers.

Now, less than a year after that $160 million initiative came to fruition, the NYPD is giving up and moving its officers to Apple iPhones.
Microsoft and Glock are big losers in 2017 contracts. :(
You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time...and those are pretty good odds.
Brett Maverick, gambler on TV (also used by Progressive leaders everywhere)
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Re: NYPD says, "we're switching"

Post by poikilotrm »

johndoe3 wrote:
Microsoft and Glock are big losers in 2017 contracts. :(
And we are the winners with all those cheap PD turn ins for sale.
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

Microsoft's phone OS has been garbage from day one, which is why I switched to Android the year they brought it in to replace Windows Mobile. WM was a very Windows-like environment with a lot of crossover of functionality. Windows Phone was a social media focused sack of rotting fish heads, released in a hurry as Microsoft desperately attempted to catch up with the iPhone. Had they devoted more than the paltry 100 or so workers they'd been tasking with Windows Mobile development, given a team the resources they throw at other MS products (their keyboard and mouse departments are orders of magnitude larger and of course their desktop and business OS development teams are gargantuan) they may well have been running in second place 8 years later. Sucks to be them.

I am a bit puzzled that the NYPD went with Apple over someone like Samsung. They're both primarily Asian companies, it's not like Apple manufactures anything in the USA, and Samsung employs thousands in North America in support and distribution roles. The iPhone is so flakey in a bunch of ways. Just doesn't seem a wise move. Oh well, whatever, their call.
JeffWard
Silent But Deadly

Post by JeffWard »

Cops don't need an overly complex work phone...

iPhones are SIMPLE, reliable, and straight forward... They are the "Mercedes" of smart phones... everything is intuitive. The Droid phones are the "Ferraris"... Fun to drive, but you need an on-call Italian Mechanic to kept tuned up.
johndoe3
Silent But Deadly

Post by johndoe3 »

I like my Android phone a lot, there are a ton of free Apps and it always works.

Personally, I use the Kindle App a lot to read eBooks, where I subscribed to Kindle Unlimited, pay $10/month, and read lots of sci-fi books for free.
Last edited by johndoe3 on Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time...and those are pretty good odds.
Brett Maverick, gambler on TV (also used by Progressive leaders everywhere)
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

Yeah, not so sure about that difficulty level JeffWard. My wife, daughter and son all use Android and rarely need tech support. Meanwhile I've seen lots of my clients experiencing problems with iPhones. Especially smashed screens, as they seem extraordinarily fragile. Samsung screens are amazingly tough, at least the more recent ones with various flavours not Gorilla glass. And the software options with Android are vast.

My son's more techie in nature but the wife and daughter are basically allergic to tech, so they're happy that their phones just work well without fuss. Daughter's MacBook on the other hand... Two failed hard drives, two failed batteries, a failed magnetic connection shorting out, screen had to be replaced due to spectacularly colourful failure... She probably has over $1500 into that monstrosity above purchase price, never mind the mountain of wasted time lost when the drives crashed and cost her loads of university papers. She backs up daily now.

I've known a number of friends similarly losing data thanks to failed Mac hardware, plus a brother losing tons of family pics and videos. I'll stick with Windows 7 and Android, skip the double-priced half-assed Apple fashionware. The only data loss I've had in ten years was due to my awkward self dropping a hard drive onto concrete. Never even a forced reboot on my ancient Windows 7 tablet. My rather old Samsung Note 4 is similarly reliable. Wish I could say the same about the iPads and MacBooks my son's school chose... at triple the cost of MS and Android. They have more dead than living devices after three years. It'll be interesting if there's a follow-up on the NYPD experiment in a year.