Why is the 45 so hard to quiet down?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

bob332
Silent But Deadly

Why is the 45 so hard to quiet down?

Post by bob332 »

everybody says that the best pistol rounds (not including 22) to quiet down are 9mm, 40 s&w, 10mm and then 45 and 45 needing to be wet. why is this? is it the bullet design? case design? powders used for 45?

thanks in advance,
bob
stymie
Silent But Deadly

Post by stymie »

BORE DIAMETER is a rather significant issue even though the round may be subsonic.
"My GOD can kick your god's ass!"
Tobi
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tobi »

It is the large bore diameter in connection with the low gas pressure produced by the .45. And that is the reason too, why a muzzle brake for a 45 is not as effective than for a 38 SA i.e.
bob332
Silent But Deadly

Post by bob332 »

ok, makes sense now :)
Golovko
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Golovko »

And the reason bore size is a concern is the same reason that dumping water out of a glass happens much faster than dumping water out of a bottle. It takes a longer amount of time for the gasses to force their way out of a small hole than out of a large hole.
bob332
Silent But Deadly

Post by bob332 »

it makes sense, but even the difference between 40/10mm and 45? how do you combat this? make are larger can? goal is for a sbr/suppressed ar45 in the future...10" of can wouldn't be an issue....
Golovko
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Golovko »

Area of 9mm hole: 0.1000 square inches.

Area of .40 caliber hole: 0.1256 square inches.

Area of .45 caliber hole: 0.1589 square inches.

The .45 caliber hole is almost 27% larger than the .40 caliber hole and almost 59% larger than the 9mm hole. When dealing with area those numbers add up quick. Efficient baffle design and longer silencer bodies can help overcome the problems inherent with large bores. A wider silencer body helps too, but not as much as additional length. The bigger the silencer the more room there is for the gasses to drop in pressure and temperature before reaching the exit.

DISCLAIMER: The numbers used aren't based on actual silencer bore sizes, nor are they necessarily based on actual bullet diameter. However, they are adequate for illustrating relative area versus each other.
Dan
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dan »

bob332 wrote:it makes sense, but even the difference between 40/10mm and 45? how do you combat this? make are larger can? goal is for a sbr/suppressed ar45 in the future...10" of can wouldn't be an issue....
I would suggest getting an integral. The gas pressure is relatively high behind the bullet before it leaves the end of the barrel and can be diverted through a port.
Billmanweh
Silent But Deadly

Post by Billmanweh »

"low gas pressure" meaning there's less gas pressure to be diverted? it seems like on some level that low gas pressure would be quieter.
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

I don't know.

I just know that the KAC can id hearing safe , dry, on a MK23 so i have no choice but to get that.

I was stunned to find out that most 45's cans have to be fired wet to be safe, IMHO that's nuts.
NFAtalk.org
Silent But Deadly

Post by #93 »

I think you will be able to get a 45 can for an AR that will be hearing safe dry. The key to the 45 is having a lot of volume. That is much easier on a rifle than a pistol.

The DeLisle carbine, many Camp 45s, converted Spanish Destroyers and the Rihnland Arms conversions are all examples of 45 long guns with suppressors that work well dry.

2 years ago at the ISSMC I met a fellow who just got a 45 suppressed upper for his M16. I did not get to hear it but IIRC SRT did the work.
This message has been approved by #93
Golovko
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Golovko »

Billmanweh wrote:"low gas pressure" meaning there's less gas pressure to be diverted? it seems like on some level that low gas pressure would be quieter.
Normally lower gas pressure would be better, but some silencer designs redirect some of the gas so that it crosses back through the main flow and causes disruption. Imagine taking two garden hoses and shooting the stream from one into the side of the stream from the other. Designs that rely on such an effect tend to work better with higher pressure gas because at higher pressures the turbulence caused by interfering gas flows is more violent. At lower pressures the turbulence isn't as violent, making it more difficult to delay the flow of gas through a given aperture without relying on additional volume in which to contain the gas. Having a bigger bore than that used for smaller-bore, higher-pressure cartridges just compounds the problem.

Low gas pressure isn't the only part of the equation. The amount of gas is important too. 12 gauge shotguns operate at well under half the maximum pressure than .45 pistols, but they produce a lot more gas.
Tobi
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tobi »

Billmanweh wrote:"low gas pressure" meaning there's less gas pressure to be diverted? it seems like on some level that low gas pressure would be quieter.
Yes right, but toghether with the big hole and and not much gas at all it is hard to suppress with a normal sized can.
green0
Dunce

Post by green0 »

ArevaloSOCOM wrote:I don't know.

I just know that the KAC can id hearing safe , dry, on a MK23 so i have no choice but to get that.

I was stunned to find out that most 45's cans have to be fired wet to be safe, IMHO that's nuts.
I have an Evo .45.

Nuts? I can shoot it in my backyard residentally. It's quieter than a pellet gun. There's nothing nuts about it.

The thing is like two DB's louder than KAC dry. big deal.
JPratt06
Silent But Deadly

Post by JPratt06 »

green0 wrote:
ArevaloSOCOM wrote:I don't know.

I have an Evo .45.

Nuts? I can shoot it in my backyard residentally. It's quieter than a pellet gun. There's nothing nuts about it.

The thing is like two DB's louder than KAC dry. big deal.

I assume you mean you can shoot it in your backyard wet :?:

Dry would be too loud in my neighborhood. The houses are 10-20 ft apart, and people would definitely notice.
ΜΟΛΩÎ
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

My USP tactical and SWR HEMS-2 is quiet... this is my friend Mark shooting, former APD.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgSkBCc8w2w
green0
Dunce

Post by green0 »

yeah WET.

Who cares? The magazine on my 1911 holds 8 rounds.

For all practical purposes, fire more than 8, and you don't need a silencer anymore because everyone would be aware of the bullets flying around.

It'll stay backyard quiet for sure through a magazine. Then it gets a little louder, for two more, and two more magazines and it's loud.

Everyone who needs more than a magazine on a charge or water/spit/or wire pulling gel, is generally shooting at a range where it doesn't matter anyway.
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

I can shoot two 12 round mags through mine before it starts to pop a little.
It's still hearing safe dry, and I don't care what anyone says... I've got good hearing and I've heard mine dry w/out plugs.
supp-22

Post by supp-22 »

What ammo are you guys using?
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

I shoot Georgia Arms 230 JHP - good s--t!
Rgray
Elite Member

Post by Rgray »

#93 wrote:I think you will be able to get a 45 can for an AR that will be hearing safe dry. The key to the 45 is having a lot of volume. That is much easier on a rifle than a pistol.

The DeLisle carbine, many Camp 45s, converted Spanish Destroyers and the Rihnland Arms conversions are all examples of 45 long guns with suppressors that work well dry.

2 years ago at the ISSMC I met a fellow who just got a 45 suppressed upper for his M16. I did not get to hear it but IIRC SRT did the work.
Your theory is what I am banking on. I have a KAC enroute that I will put on a Tactical and a UMP sbr. I know it is good on the USP cause I have shot one, but I dont know about the UMP 45 sbr.
Time will tell.
FALCON 1
Silent But Deadly

Post by FALCON 1 »

For any of you that are at the Suppressor Shoot on Sautrday check the Marlin 45acp Integral Carbine with a titanium tube at David Saylors Liberty Suppressor tent.

I asked him to build me a quiet 45acp and boy did he ever...........it may look like it is capable of shooting a .50 cal round but it digests 45acp like a 9mm or less.

Come by and shoot it.

FALCON 1
" AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A GENTLE ONE"
awdbandito
Senior Silent Operator

Post by awdbandito »

FALCON 1 wrote: Come by and shoot it.

FALCON 1
I'll take you up on that offer. What ammo does it like? I'll pick up a box.
FALCON 1
Silent But Deadly

Post by FALCON 1 »

The Marlin likes 230 gr ball.

Stop by and ask for David Saylors or Derek Seltzer.

David is babysitting it until my NFA paperwork comes thru so I can only play with it for the day. Give him a Marlin 9mm which will be there as well or a 45acp carbine and he can do magic with them.

FALCON 1
" AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A GENTLE ONE"
awdbandito
Senior Silent Operator

Post by awdbandito »

I'm looking for an adequate .45 can for an AR I have. It isn't threaded yet, so it makes it hard for me to test a can. I look forward to giving it a shot or two.