how to obtain a silencer

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

mastermike581

how to obtain a silencer

Post by mastermike581 »

i have read and re-read pages on how to obtain a silencer for my .22 lr. i understand the directions but i guess i am a little baffled by all the information given. could anyone who already has obtained a silencer, recount how they got it,and how the got the approved NFA paperwork.
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

find a dealer in your area with the goods you want.
1) pay for it (the suppressor,etc)
2)He will give you the paper work you need.
3) fill it out and send it to the AFT with 200$ per item.
4)wait
5)wait
6)wait
7) get approved and go pick up you goods!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEZJ_C4LwzA
pdemos
Elite Member

Post by pdemos »

Oh did he tell you about the wait and the wait and the wait and the wait and the wait, so on so on so on !!!! :lol:

But the best new is when its all over, you get this big grin on your face that lasts for weeks and weeks and weeks, well enough of that already you get the picture. Yeah its worth it so good luck and have fun ! :D
mastermike581

Post by mastermike581 »

thanks. im looking at a pilot for my walther p22. after i pay for the silencer, (which i don't know exactly how much it would cost), i have to send the ATF another $200?
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

Yes that is the tax you pay to own it on top of the price of the suppressor.There is a 200$ tax on every NFA (national firearms Act) item. If it's a suppressor, short barreled rifle (SBR), Machine gun, you get the idea.You send it in with the paperwork you dealer gives you. He will fill you in on the details.
mastermike581

Post by mastermike581 »

thanks a bunch, i guess the last questions i have are, around how much do you think a pilot for my p22 would be, and how can i find a class 3 dealers in my area of north eastern ohio.
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

look on the bottom of this forum for your area and ask if anyone knows a dealer in your area. And go to the manufactures web site and you can find a price. A lot of manufactures will have a list of dealers on their web site and you can find one in your area. I hope this helps..........
pdemos
Elite Member

Post by pdemos »

Think the pilots cost is about 350.00 or so.
mastermike581

Post by mastermike581 »

how come they are so expensive?
MicroGuy
Silent But Deadly

Post by MicroGuy »

This might make a good sticky too.

I think I finally got it figured out, buy one from Mark at Polite Soceity and let him worry about it! :) when he says he needs something, I'll give it to him, money, information....

That seems to be the easy way.
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis de Tocqueville
amishbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by amishbill »

mastermike581 wrote:how come they are so expensive?
Well... you can get cheap ones, but they will not be as pleasing.

The better ones cost a bit more because of the work and materials put into them. Better alloys cost more, better designs cost more to develop, tighter tolerances and more precise machining cost more...

... and you think a .22 can is expensive? Try shopping for a top end .223 can!
stevejobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by stevejobs »

Dude, if you think silencers are expensive try buying a machine gun.
PDNick

Post by PDNick »

mastermike,
where in n.e ohio are you? If you are in the youngstown area, expert outfitters in North Lima are a c3 dealer and can order whatever you want. There is also one in the cuyahoga falls area and I think I have another address for another one in the cochocton area.