MAC suppressor, need advice

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

MP5SD

MAC suppressor, need advice

Post by MP5SD »

New to the group, not very knowledgeable about suppressors, hope to learn some stuff here! But for now: I need some expert advice. I have an old Powder Springs MAC M10 .45 suppressor, been in my safe - basically untouched, un-fired - for over 30 years. The exterior finish of the can is excellent, but I'm wondering if, after sitting un-touched in my safe for 30 years, it might need a "refreshing" of it's internals? I'm also contemplating selling it but have no idea what it's worth. So...... can anyone recommend a good outfit in the Las Vegas area that works on these, if I decide to take it in for a "tune-up" or re-build? And, if I elect to sell it, what are these even worth today? Any good web boards for NFA sales where I might be able to see what (old) suppressors are being advertised for sale for?
MP5SD

Re: MAC suppressor, need advice

Post by MP5SD »

When I shake it and then tap the end lightly on a wood bench, some very small reddish-brownish chunks and dust comes out. I'm thinking the internal rubber(?) circular grommets have dried out over the decades, cracked, crumbled and turned to dust?? Thoughts? Any source to find out what these are selling for these days if I just decide to sell it?
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

If the internals are the original Mitch Werbel spirals the unit may have far more value as a collector item.

-CL
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
MP5SD

Post by MP5SD »

Capt Link, that's interesting...... how could one tell?
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

MP5SD wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:24 pm Capt Link, that's interesting...... how could one tell?
You could take it apart if you have the tool and the time. When you remove the front cap, measure down to the lock ring and post that measurement. Me and my buddy both have original sionics 2 stage cans and took them apart before Thanksgiving. The lock ring was tight, but we figured out a way to get it done so we could clean them out.

Yes, they are collectible and worth some money. Long gone are the days of them being sold for the tax stamp.

Here's a post and pics from uzitalk...

http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showthrea ... tear-downs