bushwhacker 46 vs optimus 9 silencer

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Robkiller

bushwhacker 46 vs optimus 9 silencer

Post by Robkiller »

I am new to buying a silencers, i use them for work but never had to buy one for myself. I want a universal one for handguns and rifles. 9m 40 cal 308 556. I hear a lot of good things about these but can't find anyone that does a comparison. I cant really tell much of a difference.

bushwhacker 46 gen2
optimus 9

Whats the difference and what do you folks recommend?

Thanks
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Re: bushwhacker 46 vs optimus 9 silencer

Post by whiterussian1974 »

If you want a "universal" you will get the worst of all possible results.

Rifles need strong, heavy structures.
Pistols need light weight in order to be able to cycle.

In order to have one light enough to cycle on a pistol, it will need to barely have any performance on a rifle.
For it to be strong enough to handle rifle, this means that it will need to have barely any baffles, means piss poor suppression on any platform.

Many ppl have 3 "universal" suppressors. 1 for each "class."
Rifle, pistol, rimfire.

Otherwise, the results are basically a 2-3 chamber moderator. Maybe 12 dB, instead of 32dB of value.

(Links also help when you want for us to compare products for you. Make things tough for us to work for YOU, and you'll get poor results, if any, from US.)
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

The MNFR doesn't even post any SPL dB stats:

Bushwacker has 10 and Optimus has 5-6 apparently identical baffles. So it seems like the Bush 46 might perform better.
The main differnce seems to be, that the Optimus can can 2 configurations. Long or short, depending upon if you want to shoot Rifle or Pistol. Direct thread or piston booster.

On the Bushwacker 46, removing the pison means that you must substitute the muzzle brake to occupy that space and along mounting threads.

https://www.griffinarmament.com/bushwha ... uppressor/

Supports rifle calibers from .22 up to 45-70 Govt.
Supports Pistol calibers up to .45 ACP

Barrel Length Ratings: 16”-.45-70, .450 Bushmaster, .458 SOCOM; 9.5”-5.56; 6” .300BLK; 8” 6.8 SPC, 7.62x39; 12.5” .308Win; 20” .300WM; 24" .300RUM/.338LM
This means that the Bushwacker can handle the high pressures of .223 and .308

https://www.griffinarmament.com/optimus-9-silencer/

Optimus Gen 2 sound pressure review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrpGar3CgHc

Optimus® 9 Silencer - Griffin Armament
[Search domain www.griffinarmament.com/optimus-9-silencer/] https://www.griffinarmament.com/optimus-9-silencer/
Universal suppressors, such as the Griffin Optimus® 9 and Bushwhacker® 46, are capable of use on tilt barrel semi-automatic pistols as well as sub guns, fixed barrel firearms, and rifles covering nearly all popular commercial cartridges and firearm combinations.

Bushwacker 46:

Optimus 9:
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

https://www.griffinarmament.com/content ... manual.pdf

Another feature of the Optimus is that it can be configured to different lengths: 6.6, 7.9, 8.4, 9.4" Lengths.

It also seems to accept/require a TON of different proprietary attachments. All bringing in more $$$ for Griffin Arms.

Bushwacker 46 has a fixed 7.75” long x 1.5” diameter size.

Bushwacker's 10 baffles seem to give better suppression than the 5-6 in the Optimus.

Also, the Eco-Flow seems to allow a LOT of air to simply slide through the sides of the baffles. So I don't expect all that much performance. You are sacrificing performance, for multi-use and user-configurability.
Robkiller

Post by Robkiller »

I guess for the 1k not including the added accessories i would need what 2 silancers would everyone recommend instead for a handgun/rifle setup? I like the idea of them being cleanable and broken down for maintenance.

Look at using them for
9m 40 cal 308 556

whiterussian1974 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:47 pm If you want a "universal" you will get the worst of all possible results.

Rifles need strong, heavy structures.
Pistols need light weight in order to be able to cycle.

In order to have one light enough to cycle on a pistol, it will need to barely have any performance on a rifle.
For it to be strong enough to handle rifle, this means that it will need to have barely any baffles, means piss poor suppression on any platform.

Many ppl have 3 "universal" suppressors. 1 for each "class."
Rifle, pistol, rimfire.

Otherwise, the results are basically a 2-3 chamber moderator. Maybe 12 dB, instead of 32dB of value.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

You can choose 1 of these. You just need to decide what your priorities are.

Sound level, Size, etc.

I would choose the Bushwacker, from what you have said. It has the most baffles, mid-sized, and capable of everything that you plan to put through it.

The Optimus can be configured to 4 different sizes, and can accept many various attachments. With only 5-6 baffles, it should be LOUD! In order to compensate for few baffles, it adds lots of initial volume. In most configs it has an enormous blast chamber. This causes First Round Pop and other problems. But for the convenience of using 1 silencer in many different roles and calibers, you might find it attractive.

You might even want to ask if you can "custom order" the extender from the Optimus, to add a segment to the Bushwacker, and use that TOTAL Length on your F4 application. That would add some extra volume that you can put a large Muzzle brake in.

That's what I would do. I really wish that they would publish some respected 3rd Party SPL testing. From a "Consumer Digest" type of Service. There are several on the web. One is even on this Site.

This guy for example: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=158447
PEW Science Announces the Silencer Sound Standard!
by TOOL1075
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=25227
Robkiller

Post by Robkiller »

Do you all have options you would recommend over a universal one like these?
barrettfan

Post by barrettfan »

I'm in this very same boat at the moment. My primary use is going to be for hunting and home defense.

I'll be primarily using it for:
6.5cm, 22"
300 BO, 10"
350 legend 16"
300 WSM

I'd also like to be able to use it for 556, and maybe some of my pistols, but that's not as big of an issue for me as protecting my hearing while hunting.

I'm leaning toward the bushwhacker 46 for all these reasons. Kind of seems like the Optimus is designed for pistols but will work on rifle, Bushwhacker is designed for rifles but will work on pistols. I could be completely off base here as this is my first silencer and I'm still learning, but this is what I've gathered. All your guy's help is appreciated. I'll take any and all input. Or if there's something else that may better suit my needs I'd be open to that.

Thanks
Stanand23

Post by Stanand23 »

I have also been looking at a silencer that can “do it all” I was drawn to the Omega 36m. It seems to be a good all around can. I am new to the silencer game so that is why I am here. Any other info on any of these cans would be great.
barrettfan

Post by barrettfan »

The difference I noticed with the omega 36 is that is is not self serviceable. Never having owned a silencer, I don't know how much of an "issue" this may be. Sounds like its only a big deal if you plan to use rimfire because that is so dirty. My thoughts at the moment are to get a bushwhacker 46 (larger caliber) for the moment, as my main purpose will be for hunting with .30 or greater. Then maybe get a smaller caliber "universal" such as the Optimus in the future that will be able to be used for most pistols/smaller calibers. However, both are currently out of stock everywhere I look so I'm still waiting.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

barrettfan wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:51 am I'm in this very same boat at the moment. My primary use is going to be for hunting and home defense.

I'm leaning toward the bushwhacker 46 for all these reasons. Kind of seems like the Optimus is designed for pistols but will work on rifle, Bushwhacker is designed for rifles but will work on pistols.
Yes, that is precisely correct.
barrettfan wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:51 am The difference I noticed with the omega 36 is that is is not self serviceable. Never having owned a silencer, I don't know how much of an "issue" this may be. Sounds like its only a big deal if you plan to use rimfire because that is so dirty.
Being able to open and inspect the internals is important for various reasons. Especially if you develop an accuracy issue or want to assess how much carbon buildup is present so that you know when to clean.

Rimfires don't really need to open in order to clean. Just make sure that you can use "the Dip" to clean it without damaging the material. This is because of lead buildup, not carbon.
noname

Post by noname »

"The dip" will cause damage to any aluminum, and can be dangerous to your body. Creates lead acetate. Do some research and learn how to use it.

There is a lot of subjective, bordering on false info on the evaluation of a certain suppressor and loading combination. Example, if you get the NRA magazine, look for the article about new factory sub-sonic loads. Example, the loads were using sea-level altitudes for the sound barrier. Upwards of 1,050-1,100 fps for their evaluation. Where I live, that would be supers. I reload for 925-950 fps. Use specialty hunting bullets, 50-75 yards max. And if I cannot get a perfect shot, I skip it.

I have five suppressors. My opinion is a can will not get you much in the way of noise reduction with a standard, supper-sonic big game hunting round. Great for squirrels if sub-sonic .22.