K-Baffles step-by-step

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

tomovich
Senior Silent Operator

Post by tomovich »

Thirds (not to hijack.......)?

:wink:
Fighting the Never Ending Battle for Truth, Justice and the American Way!
pneumagger
Silent But Deadly

Post by pneumagger »

That's a great Idea.
rmorr01

Post by rmorr01 »

Outstanding, Please Sticky this post!!
okw

Post by okw »

rmorr01 wrote:Outstanding, Please Sticky this post!!
That would be nice! I have to keep searching for this thread every time I want to double check something. :lol:
chalkmuncher
Silent Operator

Post by chalkmuncher »

Mtdew wrote:
Phister wrote:I never have figured out- what is this hole for?

It's actually a hole and a scoop in one machining setup.

The port allows the directed jet of gas into the outside chamber.
I'll retract what I originally said here in lieu of the following:

It might be misunderstood from the images that the 45 degree hole involves only one side of the baffle, ie produces a hole that diverts gas directly into the outer chamber rather than across the bore.

I was confused, at least, and was trying to understand how a baffle that diverted gas straight out the side of the bore hole into the outer chamber would work. I think the answer is: it wouldn't, very well.
Last edited by chalkmuncher on Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

chalkmuncher wrote: Most K-baffles I see have a scoop on the face that directs a jet *across* the path of the bullet, through a hole in the wall of the cone, and into the outer chamber.
That's exactly what this one does.
chalkmuncher wrote:This one directs the jet *away* from the bullet path directly into the outer chamber.
No - you seem to be confused.

Did you look at the finished product? It is made exactly the same way as ALL other K-Baffles I have seen (that use this method) It is milled from the under side ... that might be what is 'throwing' you off.

Last edited by WhisperFan on Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.
Justice William O. Douglas
chalkmuncher
Silent Operator

Post by chalkmuncher »

yes... I misunderstood, now I see how you are milling the hole in the cone and the scoop on the face in one step. I thought you were drilling only to the bore and the mouse hole was the exit hole. doh...
Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician
pedro_viana

Post by pedro_viana »

Hi,
I am new here and I also just got my lathe. I was making some baffles like the ones in this post, but I got stuck on set 9. I am making these baffles out of stainless steel, and I am getting allot of chatter when doing this procedure. Could you give me some info on the forming tool you are using?

Thanks alot,
Pedro
dave22
Silent But Deadly

Post by dave22 »

when you get chatter, increase feed and / or decrease rpm.

Dave
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

What type of lubrication/coolant are you using?

On stainless - I find a 'flood' coolant system works better for me than a "cool mist" system
As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.
pedro_viana

Post by pedro_viana »

Thanks for the reply. I am using a Brazilian cutting fluid as I do not like to use coolant due to the mess it makes, as I live in a apartment building and my "shop" is kind of small. Yesterday when I posted this I got back on the lathe and tried using the tool upside down on the other side of the baffle, and it worked beautifully. I will see if I can get pictures once I finish my baffles.
formula156
Silent Operator

Post by formula156 »

Any way you could post a few more pics of the mouse hole that's at the 45° angle, from the back and sides? Im still not sure exactly how that hole meets up with the bore hole.

Thanks!
chalkmuncher
Silent Operator

Re: K Baffles

Post by chalkmuncher »

WhisperFan wrote:
kiwi collector wrote:Hello, thanks for the info, can I ask please what size is the mill cutter that you use for the mouse holes and for the slot at the top of the K baffle, is this important in regard to the size of the bore, are they both the same size or is one smaller that the other THANKS
.3125" for both I use a size slightly smaller than the bore size.
Anything wrong with using the same diameter as the bore hole? Is there a point where the scoop/port get too big?

Also, probably more importantly:

How much play do you allow between the outer diameter of the baffle and the inner diameter of the tube? Is there a sweet spot that reduces binding (if you try to remove the baffles after use) without compromising bore concentricity?
Fulmen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulmen »

Hope you don't mind if I crash this party a bit. I'm working on the following baffles for a 22-silencer:
Most of them are done, so drilling is next.

First the Dater-hole in the first baffle: I'm going for one or two straight baffles as a blast-chamber, the dater-hole should still be in the first K-baffle and not the straight one?

The mouse-hole seems pretty straight-forward, but the scoop is a bit more tricky. Milling at an angle isn't something I'm set up to do, so I was wondering how effective a straight hole (90° on the back wall) would work. Something like this:

Update:
I've completed all the baffles except for the drilling, thought you'd like a look:
J Krammes
Silent But Deadly

Post by J Krammes »

Tag for info... Great pics guys.

Jeremy
Some of my work. www.jkknives.com
Fulmen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulmen »

Actually I've desided to mill the scoop at an angle after all. It's a bit dodgy, but the idea was to remove the chuck form the lathe and mount it in a tilting vice. After a few cad-experiments I've desided on a 4mm scoop at 60° and a 6mm mousehole.
Fudmottin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fudmottin »

I imagine some tolerances can afford to be sloppy while others need to be tight. I wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying about the non critical stuff.

Are the pictures showing white baffles depicting Delrin?

Also, do you know if there is any word at what point a K baffle becomes less effective than just a cone? Or is there no such point?

And for caliber, at what point do you abandon trying to use a K baffle?
Golf_1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Golf_1911 »

Could you list the tools information that you use?
Did the supplier have an online shop?
Golf_1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Golf_1911 »

What is the tool that use on step 2 , 3 , 4 , 6 , 8 and 10?

Could you recommend the online supplier?
RavenArmament
Silent But Deadly

Post by RavenArmament »

Step 2: drill bit
Step 3: counter sink
Step 4: turning tool
Step 6: turning tool
Step 8: turning or facing tool
Step 10: drill bit or end mill

You'll have to find a supplier in your country.
Manufacturer of the best subsonic 9mm ammunition.
pmercer
Silent But Deadly

Post by pmercer »

Fudmottin wrote:Are the pictures showing white baffles depicting Delrin?
Looks like sandblasted alu to me.
"Boi, you're in one hell of a situation. You're on US soil with illegal firearms." - Quote from US customs officer when he opened my suitcase and saw numerous NFA items
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

STICKY!
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

pmercer wrote:
Fudmottin wrote:Are the pictures showing white baffles depicting Delrin?
Looks like sandblasted alu to me.
Yep - just a quick sandblast ... not enough to change dimensions, just clean them up some.
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

freaking pretty!!!
RavenArmament
Silent But Deadly

Post by RavenArmament »

OK, I'm mildly retarded. I tried my hand at making some Ks last night (minus the countersink). What angle did you set to slide to? I tried 10, 20, and 30 degrees but they didn't look right. I figured 60 degrees between the cone and the 90 so half the 60 and cut at a 30 degree angle but it looked very steep.
Manufacturer of the best subsonic 9mm ammunition.