Question on Quality ?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Geo.Az

Question on Quality ?

Post by Geo.Az »

:oops: Should Baffels look tike this ?
Thank You Kindly. George
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

While not pleasing to the eye, it is probably effective. Pretty, shiny baffles don't remain that way very long, unless they are never used!
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

What can is that from?
Geo.Az

Dave Fisher Enterprise, Mesa,AZ

Post by Geo.Az »

I would not Recomend to Any one. :oops:
Thank You Kindly. George
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

Tough to tell which can we shouldn't buy if you won't say the name. :)
akraven

Post by akraven »

I have to echo "Baffled" in saying its not perfect but if it works does it really make a differience. Can you further explain what your thoughts are on the can itself and how it functions? akraven
James Jones
Silent But Deadly

Post by James Jones »

It looks like a tooling problem ,the cutter was probably not sharp or was in the wrong position , maybe a HHS tool that they had the RPM's to high on the lathe , tool speed too fast , any number of things could have caused that.
From the light chatter marks I'd say that either the tool was not tight , or not very rigid , likely a small grind to fit boring tool. The cut was made from the outside in you can tell from the bad burr left on that one step.

I highly doubt that it will function any differantly than if it were all shiney and smooth. Not to sure that I'd say it was a poor machining job , could just be one of the turds that slipped through QC , that happens when things are mass produced.

What suppressor is it from? I don't see a problem putting names out if a companies products either meet or exceed your expectations.
Machine Gun Matt
Silent But Deadly

Post by Machine Gun Matt »

Should look more like this!!

But what do I know? :wink:
07/02 FFL-SOT
Geo.Az

Same Guy Wanted to Sell Me this Chamber.

Post by Geo.Az »

Thank You Kindly. George
Geo.Az

Baffled

Post by Geo.Az »

Baffled wrote:While not pleasing to the eye, it is probably effective. Pretty, shiny baffles don't remain that way very long, unless they are never used!
So much to learn So little Time. :oops: I Know I am Wrong and Alway Mistaken.
Thank You Kindly. George
wolf
Silent But Deadly

Re: Same Guy Wanted to Sell Me this Chamber.

Post by wolf »

Geo.Az wrote:Image

:? :? :? :? :? :? :?
That a a shitty chambering job
Was it a semi(or full) auto ,if so how does the extractor look :roll:

The shoulder of the brass does not look like a 223/5,56,,what is it ??
Geo.Az

The Learning Curve

Post by Geo.Az »

It was a Bolt Action .50 Supressed #001 I would not Buy, but I got #002 &
#003 and are O.K. But had to have All Baffels Redone. :oops:
Thank You Kindly. George
centurion
Industry Professional

Post by centurion »

barrett?
www.centurionarms.com
Geo.Az

Not Barrett

Post by Geo.Az »

State Arms. We Blew the Barrett ( 99 ) up with a Blue tip see Pic .
Thank You Kindly. George
green0
Dunce

Post by green0 »

From a functional standpoint those burrs mean absolutely nothing.

The quality is fine. There are no burrs in the bore.

I think it looks a little thick, but overbuilding parts is better than under-building them.

As far as toolmarks- it's a baffle, not a hood ornament on a Rolls Royce. You could remove them, but the time wasted by removing them or changing the process so they did not occur, would probably cost time and money, without offering any positive performance gain.
Geo.Az

GreenO

Post by Geo.Az »

burrs mean absolutely nothing.??? with .22, .45, .223, .308 Etc Yes. What did You miss ? It is a .50 BMG.
See Photo of Extream Gas, Extream Heat, Extream Volume, and Extream Pressure. ( Sorry I am a Very Poor Comunator. )
Thank You Kindly. George
Geo.Az

Also I never Owned A Roll Royce ... but 10 Packards over 30

Post by Geo.Az »

:shock: Just One of my cars. Image
Thank You Kindly. George
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Re: GreenO

Post by Artful »

Geo.Az wrote:burrs mean absolutely nothing.??? with .22, .45, .223, .308 Etc Yes. What did You miss ? It is a .50 BMG.
See Photo of Extream Gas, Extream Heat, Extream Volume, and Extream Pressure. ( Sorry I am a Very Poor Comunator. )
What Greeno is saying is the ridges are there to disrupt the flow and burrs will also disrupt the flow so unless it's extream in size probably no big deal as far as function goes.

as for 50 BMG Extream pressure
Max ANSI Standard pressure for cartridges...
.220 Swift is 64,000 PSI
50 BMG is 54 ,923 PSI

Lots of gas in a 50 BMG due to more powder to burn yep, More bore volume would tend to mean more quick pressure drop, and Nominal peak temp. would be same as using same fuel (smokeless powder) but it should have more BTU as more powder to burn.

and Nice Car. :wink:
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
green0
Dunce

Re: GreenO

Post by green0 »

Artful wrote:
Geo.Az wrote:burrs mean absolutely nothing.??? with .22, .45, .223, .308 Etc Yes. What did You miss ? It is a .50 BMG.
What Greeno is saying is the ridges are there to disrupt the flow and burrs will also disrupt the flow so unless it's extream in size probably no big deal as far as function goes.

as for 50 BMG Extream pressure
Max ANSI Standard pressure for cartridges...
.220 Swift is 64,000 PSI
50 BMG is 54 ,923 PSI

Lots of gas in a 50 BMG due to more powder to burn yep, More bore volume would tend to mean more quick pressure drop, and Nominal peak temp. would be same as using same fuel (smokeless powder) but it should have more BTU as more powder to burn.

and Nice Car. :wink:
My guess would be the ridges are a by-product of a tool used to manufacture the component, and a technique used for material removal, and the burr is insignificant and if anything, only contributes to suppression by increasing surface area on an insignificant scale.

The ridges of course, also increase surface area which is helpful on a small scale, but the part I'm looking at there is probably heavier than it needs to be, and unnecessarily thick, so a lighter, smooth component with no ridges would probably suppress better in a suppressor of equal size.

I guess if that's your baffle, and it bothers you, you could possibly de-burr it, and maybe even spin it up in a lathe and scotch bright it to polish the tool marks away if it really bothered you badly.
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

When machining or manufacturing for profit, a wise manufacturer will focus where it counts. Tolerances are a good example. Let's say as part of an engine, I have to machine a shaft. A portion of the shaft must interface with a ball bearing. THAT portion of the shaft recieves my attention, and needs to be ground probably to -0.0002" or tighter. The rest of the shaft, I will NOT machine to such a tolerance, as it is not necessary. It doesn't mean my shaft sucks, nor does it mean that the other guys shaft, because it is shinier than mine, is better.

You can't make money wasting excessive time on cosmetic issues that simply don't matter. If the baffle is concentric, and has a correct diameter, it is good to go. Making baffles cosmetically pretty is like polishing the inside walls of a magazine, or buffing a steel plate that will be used as a target.
Geo.Az

I am Sorry for my Poor comunation Skills

Post by Geo.Az »

:oops: The Point I was trying to Show was the Parts that are Over looked and If you do a better job you get better Results. Ever Clean a New Pot - Yes It Cleans Easy. a old pot not so ? Why a build up of ? on serface. the same applys to baffels. But you guys Know all this. I have 3 .50 B2HB Cans and 2 for Bolt gunswith Cans. 6.000 Shots fired. What do I Know? I was here to learn ? and for Parts that Matter how about the Blast Pitting on the In side of a $4,000.00 + Tube ?Image
Thank You Kindly. George
Geo.Az

Outside of said Gun.

Post by Geo.Az »

Thank You Kindly. George
CanNotHear
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanNotHear »

Deleted**************************
Last edited by CanNotHear on Sat May 23, 2009 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geo.Az

About the Manafuture.

Post by Geo.Az »

:oops: He said about Burrs in Barrel " Do Not Worry the first round will clean the up" :shock: Do any of You UnderStand ? .50 BMG = BOMB !

on the Barrett Board I Quote
" Your personal safety IS YOUR personal responsibility!
Whether you choose to exercise that RIGHT is YOUR choice! "
:roll:
Thank You Kindly. George
Mageever
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mageever »

Depends on where the burr is. Having a burr on the face of a baffle isn't exactly critical to safety. If it were on a feature used to align or space a baffle, then you should be worried. Sure, whoever machined this could have beburred it. But a few rounds of .50 bmg could take care of it just as well. I personally wouldn't fret it.