Empty treaded Cans?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

yonahyonah150

Empty treaded Cans?

Post by yonahyonah150 »

Im looking for someone the makes an empty can that is threaded at muzzle entry and maybe the end caps? Or welded already! Beginning my Form 1 assembly.Send emails to [email protected] or just post website. To the moderators: Hat goes off to you for an outstanding Forum!!!!!!
Thanks for all the help in advance!!!
yonahyonah150

Post by yonahyonah150 »

Anyone???? PLease! Justa little help from all my new friends here!!
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

only thing I can think of is old style fake cans that used to be sold in shotgun news - (you'd have to buy used most likely) - all newer fake cans I have seen are solid aluminum... If your doing a form one your going to have to either make the parts or hire someone to make the parts so I don't think your going to be saving yourself from any work or saving money. :?
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
jonharoy
Elite Member

Post by jonharoy »

What you are asking for is a gray area at best and illegal at worst. I would imagine you would need your form 1 in hand before anyone would touch it. Any part of a silencer is a silencer so if someone makes the tube for you they are making an illegal silencer. You might look at Roberts design it uses a plain tube and would be easer to do. This is my problem , I have a lathe and mill but don’t have capacity to do the tube.
jandbj
Silent But Deadly

Post by jandbj »

Recently, I remember seeing an ad from either keith at nfainvestments.com or henry at title2.com (can't recall which) for registerred tubes in various sizes for transfer on a form 3 or form 4. Most likely, no one will touch this on a form 1.

You might try emailing them about your inquiry.
HandyMan
Silent But Deadly

Post by HandyMan »

Well, if you only need a threaded tube, then you may look at pneumatic cylinders that can be disassembled for repair. I used to work at a shop that built automated equipment, and we used these frequently. They consist of a piston, end caps and a tube. The tube is aluminum or stainless depending on the environment it will be used in. The tube was just that, a threaded tube with a honed internal finish. The end caps had the ports and seals in them. I cannot remember the name of the company that made them.

You may want to check ebay, as they have cylinders come up for auction all the time.
yonahyonah150

Post by yonahyonah150 »

Thanks Handy! Never thought of that. And to my new friends that replied, I am not trying to break the law! just have a can to experiment with on my baffle designs! I love this forum and look forward to viewing it everyday, dont think that would be possible from a cell !!!!
Thanks a bunch!!!!
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

If you go to www.muzzlecouplings.com they have a hollow can with (steel)threaded endcaps but the muzzle end is threaded 1/2x20, you would need a local machinest to make another 1/2x28, it also has four holes near the muzzle of the can so its legal.
And it looks professional also. :)
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
yonahyonah150

Post by yonahyonah150 »

Thanks for the link hush!!
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Experimentation

Post by David Hineline »

A form 1 for a silencer lets you build 1 silencer with internals, not practice building more sets of internals.

You are not licensed to experiment and rebuild.
NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.
yonahyonah150

Post by yonahyonah150 »

Ok then the reason I wanted a fake can is to dress up my AR. Thats all>
HandyMan
Silent But Deadly

Post by HandyMan »

jonharoy wrote:What you are asking for is a gray area at best and illegal at worst. I would imagine you would need your form 1 in hand before anyone would touch it. Any part of a silencer is a silencer so if someone makes the tube for you they are making an illegal silencer. You might look at Roberts design it uses a plain tube and would be easer to do. This is my problem , I have a lathe and mill but don’t have capacity to do the tube.
jonharoy, why can't you make a threaded tube? Is it an equipment limitation? What size is your lathe? There are almost unlimited ways to setup a tool with a little ingenuity. What caliber would you like to suppress?
jonharoy
Elite Member

Post by jonharoy »

I have a 7X10 lathe from Harbor Freight and I have not devoted time to it yet but I am afraid it does not have the rigidity I will need. I have a HF mini mill and so far I have been able to work around with it and I am pleased with its work. I am in the process of making it CNC and then I am going set up an EDM outfit. I have a new silencer design and I am planning on using the 500 S&W with electronic primers. Like most things with me I have nowhere to go and nothing to do when I get there so it will happen when the mood strikes me. If you read my rant on the boards about Metalstorm you will get an idea how quickly I move.
:D
HandyMan
Silent But Deadly

Post by HandyMan »

Well, I won't say it's impossible. :D However, building a 500 S&W suppressor on a mini-lathe would be... challenging. :P

For your first form 1, may I suggest a .22LR?
jonharoy
Elite Member

Post by jonharoy »

HandyMan wrote:Well, I won't say it's impossible. :D However, building a 500 S&W suppressor on a mini-lathe would be... challenging. :P

For your first form 1, may I suggest a .22LR?
it will be challenging :lol: it is to late on the form 1 i have it in hand for the 500. :)
HandyMan
Silent But Deadly

Post by HandyMan »

Do you have any dimensions in mind for the tube? That is the only part that would be truly difficult to make on a mini lathe. I would recommend stainless as the 500 operates at almost rifle pressures.
jonharoy
Elite Member

Post by jonharoy »

At this time i am leaning towards two inches that seems to be what most of the 50bmg cans are. The pressure is about 50k psi and should be down to 1.2k psi at the end of the 20 inch barrel. I am planning on an integral with i think at this time no baffles past the end of the barrel.
HandyMan
Silent But Deadly

Post by HandyMan »

Not even going to try a baffle stack? I would think even a rudimentary baffle would be better than an empty tube. You have the tools; you ought to at least try a design out.
jonharoy
Elite Member

Post by jonharoy »

HandyMan wrote:Not even going to try a baffle stack? I would think even a rudimentary baffle would be better than an empty tube. You have the tools; you ought to at least try a design out.
I certainly gave it some thought but this is a new idea and I want to see how it does on it’s own.
:idea:
Echo7

Post by Echo7 »

I have seen silencer/suppressor bodies made out of old car shock absorber cylinders. They look pretty strong, the ends were welded on then threaded.
The last one I played with was on a BXP 9mm carbine, a bit loud to my ears, probably poorly designed internals.
Nothing wrong with experimenting... hope this sheds some light.

I'm busy with a Nylon/ composite body in 9mm to keep the weight down, don't have time to fiddle with a booster yet.
Cradeowski

Post by Cradeowski »

hi guys , i find silencers intresting. dont want any part of the ownership/building mess. i like hearing how quiet they are !

taking machining.....

i dont want to help some one break the law . why cant a 7x10 lathe make a tube 2" dia.??? make a steady / rest! take a peice of 4" pipe, and slice it thin. drill holes and tap 3 bolts at 120* apart on the circumfrence. drill a couple holes to mount on the clamp base. i would really fab my own instead of using the existing clamp base for the drill chuck.

the 2" wont go through the chuck, but it can hang off through the rest at the other end. so probably you could do a 2 foot long tube 2" in dia if you wanted to. probably within thousandths.

i dont know your boring tool, but would a coutersink bore through? if not i guess the boring bar would limit the lenth of tube at little.

would silencer technology work on my lawnmower ?
HandyMan
Silent But Deadly

Post by HandyMan »

why cant a 7x10 lathe make a tube 2" dia.??? make a steady / rest! take a peice of 4" pipe, and slice it thin. drill holes and tap 3 bolts at 120* apart on the circumfrence. drill a couple holes to mount on the clamp base. i would really fab my own instead of using the existing clamp base for the drill chuck.

the 2" wont go through the chuck, but it can hang off through the rest at the other end. so probably you could do a 2 foot long tube 2" in dia if you wanted to. probably within thousandths.

i dont know your boring tool, but would a coutersink bore through? if not i guess the boring bar would limit the lenth of tube at little.
I didn't say it was impossible. :) I said it would be difficult. The primary limitation is not the diameter of the tube. It is the bed length of the lathe. A suppressor for a larger caliber will be better served with as long a tube as you can be comfortable with. The mini lathe simply does not have enough length to make a proper suppressor tube. You could, of course, make any number of modifications to the base lathe. However, when you factor in time and materials, usually it is wiser to invest that money into better equipment.

Some people enjoy tinkering with their shop. Making doodads simply because they enjoy them. I am not one of those people. I purchased my shop equipment to support my hobbies, and to make money. If I need something, and the price is not exorbitant, I will purchase it. Only when I need to, will I manufacture an item I need for another project.
stymie
Silent But Deadly

VIDAR integrally suppressed Ruger 10/22...

Post by stymie »

Kinda KOOL to backbore the barrel & insert the stack of your choice!

Lee Minor of LRM does pretty work!