Long-term SHTF weapons

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

miniuzi

Long-term SHTF weapons

Post by miniuzi »

Well here is the deal....You may only choose three weapons for long term shtf........Pick ones that are realiable, low or no maintance, not pron to breakages, that you steak you life on, etc......

Heres mine:

1. Nighthawk government model "talon"
2. Romanian AK-47
3. Mossberg 590 shotgun
THE BEATING WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
Hootiewho
Super Dunce

Post by Hootiewho »

You chose a 1911 for

"realiable, low or no maintance, not pron to breakages, that you steak you life on, etc......"

Mite want to rethink that and go with a Glock or similar pistol. Ask anyone who has been in a shithole 3rd world country fighting and one thing you will find is 9mm ammo is just about the most common handgun round; just about anywhere in the world. 45 acp ammo is difficult for our guys in the US Military to find in a warzone, much less in a SHTF situation.
AngryFish
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by AngryFish »

1. Glock 19 - Close Range Combat.
2. AK or Variant - Chambered in 7.62x39 Mid Range.
3.CZ-452 /w Spectre. (For taking small game at moderate ranges)
RWBlue
Silent But Deadly

Post by RWBlue »

Please define "long term" and "shtf".

Are we talking about killing zombies or survival in the woods?
Are we talking about using stocked ammo or having to make ammo?
Are we talking about sitting still or on the move?

And as I have said before, people over think their guns and underthink their food and finances.
silentobsession
Elite Member

Post by silentobsession »

1. HK USP Tactical 9mm
2. Springfield M1A
3. Remington 870
sluggie24
Silent But Deadly

Post by sluggie24 »

HK45
AR15 5.56
Remington 700 .308
FMJs-of-Freedom
Silent But Deadly

Post by FMJs-of-Freedom »

Personal kit-
Me:
-Springfield XDm .40
-LMT MRP Piston F/A M16

Wife:
-Glock 22
-7.62x39 Krinkov

Packed Kit:
-Any 12ga shotgun- The ultimate survival weapon, for hunting anything from deer to small game, to disabling vehicles or defense.
-Walther p22- with Tac65 Suppressor
-AAC SPR/m4

I don't want to put all of my eggs in one basket, so I figure we will always be able to find one of the following .22, 7.62x39,.223, or 12ga. And I have s--t loads of .40
M16MANIAC
Silent But Deadly

Post by M16MANIAC »

glock 19 w/EVO
POF AR-15 w/AAC M4-2000
Remington LTR 308 2/AAC 762SD
apochachuva
Silent But Deadly

Post by apochachuva »

Bow
"You'll put yer eye out with that thing"

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." - Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp
M16MANIAC
Silent But Deadly

Post by M16MANIAC »

maybe arevaloSOCOM would take his gay pitbulls with aids :lol:
Blaubart
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaubart »

If this is a wish list and we can pick anything we want, then:

- M1A2 tank with plenty of gas, ammo and spare parts and a bunker to park it in. Main gun, coaxial gun and .50 cal count as one weapon (system).
- M1126 Stryker Vehicle, Infantry troop carrier variant w/MK19 grenade launcher. Again, plenty of gas, ammo, spare parts and what the hell, a separate bunker to park it in. Don't want to keep all the toys in one spot.
- I was thinking a C130H would be fun, but the airstrip would draw too much attention in a SHTF situation. So, maybe just another Stryker. A M1132, engineer variant, loaded with nuclear land mines. (Yes, they exist - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium_Ato ... n_Munition ) :D I wouldn't be surprised to learn that a more modern version exists today.

With these 3 weapon systems, I'd be able to recruit friends, family and neighbors with their resources to join my little army. :D

If we're talking about what we'd bring from our current collection, then my choices are much more limited:

- 92FS 9mm
- Bushmaster AR15 5.56mm
- Not sure if I'd bring the 870 12ga or just the 10/22. Depends on if I believe my main concern would be getting food in the mountains or defending my family against other people or zombies.
"And by the way, if you're gonna take up a hobby of letter writing, you might want to learn how to spell "writing" you stupid F--k." - Nighthawk re kwikrnu
jppd47
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by jppd47 »

[Blaubart]So, maybe just another Stryker. A M1132, engineer variant,
Instead of the M1132, switch it to a M1129 . Ill man it for ya. Cant go wrong with a mounted 120 :). Ill also bring along a 60 for any dismounted work.
pro-gun gun owners are a minority.
Fair Use applies (U.S. Code Title 17 Chapter 1 Subsection 107)
Blaubart
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaubart »

I thought about that, but how much of a need for indirect fire would a person encounter in a SHTF scenario? Maybe the zombies set up some trenches that we can't shoot with direct fire?

But, sometimes it isn't about "need", it's also about having fun. :D
"And by the way, if you're gonna take up a hobby of letter writing, you might want to learn how to spell "writing" you stupid F--k." - Nighthawk re kwikrnu
Mongo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mongo »

For really long term SHTF

Firearms Engineer for hire on piece work basis.
No job is too expensive :)
http://weaponblueprints.com/
jppd47
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by jppd47 »

Blaubart wrote:I thought about that, but how much of a need for indirect fire would a person encounter in a SHTF scenario? Maybe the zombies set up some trenches that we can't shoot with direct fire?

But, sometimes it isn't about "need", it's also about having fun. :D
Nothing like blowing up a 75m radius of zombies at 7000m :).
In a shtf situation, if a. Could get a 60 and ammo, I'd be a happy person.
pro-gun gun owners are a minority.
Fair Use applies (U.S. Code Title 17 Chapter 1 Subsection 107)
Doink67
Silent But Deadly

Post by Doink67 »

jppd47 wrote:
[Blaubart]So, maybe just another Stryker. A M1132, engineer variant,
Instead of the M1132, switch it to a M1129 . Ill man it for ya. Cant go wrong with a mounted 120 :). Ill also bring along a 60 for any dismounted work.
no, an M1128 you really cant go wrong with an APC with a 105mm canon on top
[quote="Blaubart"]I'd love to screw with a boss like yours Steve.[/quote]
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

RWBlue wrote:And as I have said before, people over think their guns and underthink their food and finances.
In a truly SHTF scenario - your selection of firearm will supply you with both your food and thatever you will use for wealth.

:roll:
As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.
Justice William O. Douglas
cwilliams
Elite Member

Post by cwilliams »

WhisperFan wrote:
RWBlue wrote:And as I have said before, people over think their guns and underthink their food and finances.
In a truly SHTF scenario - your selection of firearm will supply you with both your food and thatever you will use for wealth.

:roll:
at first i think the food might be an issue. especially if you have a hint of possibility that the situation will calm and things will go to a somewhat normal state. HOWEVER if its end of the world im pretty sure that Superior firepower will produce food, shelter, and etc.
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

Well - that seems to be the problem (in a nutshell) ....
knowing when, and if, a period of civil unrest will return to a sense of order, or will it degrade into a crumbling of the structure
of the framework of the Government and life as we know it.

Suppose you know someone who is willing an able to provide for the protection of themselves and their family in a SHTF situation.
If they wait too long, it might be too late and they might be operating from a reactionary position, rather than a proactive postition
of power. However - if they react too soon - they become a criminal, someone to end up in the history books like the Weavers.
As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.
Justice William O. Douglas
muttering fool
Silent Operator

Post by muttering fool »

M1A scout
1911 gov
Bolt action .22
Just remember to keep smiling! The world will think that you are up to something!
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

for weapons that require minimal support Mongo's on the right track
with rock hatchett head and bow and arrows. I'd skip the flintlock and go with a flint or obsidian knife for primitive stuff. Don't forget Crossbows and blow guns.

I'd say for more modern choices look at what continues to work with abuse. Say a Stainless steel single action ruger revolver, Many military surplus bolt action rifles, Single or double barrel hammered shotguns.

You could also look for/at mechanical simplicity such as a Sten gun.
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
Cortland
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Cortland »

AMT Automag IV in 10mm Magnum
Savage 99 in 6mm/30-30 Ackley Improved
Anything in .22 WRF
FMJs-of-Freedom
Silent But Deadly

Post by FMJs-of-Freedom »

Cortland wrote:AMT Automag IV in 10mm Magnum
Savage 99 in 6mm/30-30 Ackley Improved
Anything in .22 WRF