Some Pics of my Form 1 Integral 10/22

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Ron of Va
Silent But Deadly

Some Pics of my Form 1 Integral 10/22

Post by Ron of Va »

Here is my form 1 integral 10/22. (I have never touched a lathe before 4 months ago.) I think it turned out OK.

I made the unit for a SBR receiver I hardly ever used. I may end up pinning the barrel and move the unit to another receiver.

The unit is made from a 1 inch 316 stainless DOM tube with a .065 wall thickness, and a .870 inside diameter.

Photos
1. Completed Unit

2. Broached End Cap (threaded 28 tpi) Major Diameter of threaded area turned to .902 inches before threading. The part of the end cap that fits against the outer tube was bevel cut at about 4º instead of square, to make the end cap almost invisible. The same procedure was done to the end of the tube using the compound slide as shown in photo 13.

3. Tube layout indicating where to cut the barrel, where the threading was going to be and how long the outer tube was going to be. And most importantly, where to install the internal snap ring. If too much barrel is sticking out past the barrel nut, then the exposed threads can collect crud and lock the nut on the end of the barrel. Shoot for flush as in photo 10.

4. The barrel chucked up in the lathe. The chucked end of the barrel is being held in an aluminum collet I made specifically for a 10/22 barrel. The tailstock end is just mounted in a live center (I don’t care about the crown at this point.) Since the barrel was tapered, I needed cut a non tapered area so I could use my 4 jaw chuck to get zero run out of the bore for the threading of the end of the barrel. I also took this time to turn a flat area in front of the V block that would accommodate a bushing that was the same diameter as the receiver end of the barrel. This bushing will help align the tube out front of the V block, see photo 17. The bushing is not resting where it will end up, up inside the barrel a little further. I will probably tack weld the bushing to the barrel.

5. The barrel with bushing and barrel nut installed. I added 2 more ports later. The ports were drilled 5 inches in front of the chamber so the velocity will not be less than that fired from a 5 inch pistol.

6. These photos show how I made the barrel nut. I don’t have a mill so I used a hack saw and some files. One problem emerged. I needed a pattern for the nut. The barrel was threaded ½ X 20 tpi. I needed a nut that required a 5/8â€
Last edited by Ron of Va on Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
RX7-2nr
Silent But Deadly

Post by RX7-2nr »

thats pretty slick!
45_fan
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 45_fan »

Nice shiny toy there. Thanks for sharing the details.
GeneT
Silent But Deadly

Post by GeneT »

Nicely done! (Nice presentation, too!)

GsT
50 BMG Site:
www.hevanet.com/50shooter
dave22
Silent But Deadly

Post by dave22 »

Perfect, great work!

Dave
jandbj
Silent But Deadly

Post by jandbj »

Great work and thanks for taking the time on the write up and pics!
jarrodl

Post by jarrodl »

How does it sound? Is the accuracy still ok? I always wonder about accuracy when a barrel has holes drilled into the bore.
Ron of Va
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ron of Va »

jarrodl wrote:How does it sound? Is the accuracy still ok? I always wonder about accuracy when a barrel has holes drilled into the bore.
Too soon to tell about the accuracy. I am waiting for a good day to go. The sound is slightly better than a John's Guns 10/22 integral, but not as quiet as what you would expect from a suppressor with almost twice the baffles. But is sounds very good.

Definitely not as quiet as my integral CZ 452, which sounds like a small hammer on a lead pipe(gentle tap), then a mild whoosh. This is what I was hoping for and trying to duplicate with the extra volume.
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockman96 »

That is sweet! Really nice work....I know there's a lot more to it in there than what meets the eye in the pics.
Ron of Va
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ron of Va »

Thanks guys for the positive comments. I enjoyed building it, and got a real sense of accomplishment.

I was fortunate to have integrals from three different manufacturers to examine. I tried to use what I have learned and take some of the mystery out of building it.

Building an integral can be done a lot of ways, and it is a little different than a muzzle suppressor. There are several other pictorials of an integral being built here on Silencer Talk. My way is not necessarily better than any other way. So if you decide to build one I suggest look at the other pictorials for ideas.

If any one has any questions as to why I did something a certain way or want to see more detailed photos (I took lots of photos) just ask or you can PM or email, [email protected]