Approval time in the current environment?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

saunderscc
Silent Operator

Approval time in the current environment?

Post by saunderscc »

Anyone know what the approval times on Form 1's and Form 4's are these days?

I'm waiting on a Form 1 that was faxed about 5 weeks ago. That sound normal?
If a random bolt of lightning hits you when you're standing in the middle of the field--that feels like a random event. But if your business is to stand in random fields during lightning storms, then you should anticipate, perhaps a little more robustly, the risks you're taking on.
Omega_556
Silent But Deadly

Re: Approval time in the current environment?

Post by Omega_556 »

saunderscc wrote:Anyone know what the approval times on Form 1's and Form 4's are these days?

What do you mean "faxed", please explain?

Four to five months, door to door. There are several ongoing threads documenting it, do a little search and you'll find it.
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

How do you fax a $200 check? don't expect anything for at least 3-4 months
Putting the laughter in manslaughter
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Re: Approval time in the current environment?

Post by Diomed »

saunderscc wrote:Anyone know what the approval times on Form 1's and Form 4's are these days?
Five to six months. I've got about nine F4s to send in, I don't expect to be able to take the guns home until next year.
It doesn't sound normal at all. Faxing of tax-paid forms is very, very abnormal. If you faxed it you'll probably need to submit it again via the proper method.
Fudmottin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fudmottin »

The IRS is more efficient.

I wonder if government cut backs in the budget will include the NFA examiners. You get rid of all of them and then no more tax stamps.

What are the legal implications of that?
saunderscc
Silent Operator

Post by saunderscc »

I've clearly not been clear enough in my question and I should have referred to a form 3 and not a form 1.

I purchased a silencer from a manufacturer that is located in a different state from where I live. That manufacturer is transferring the silencer to a class III dealer that is local to me. The manufacturer submits a form 3 for approval to transfer the silencer to the dealer.

In this case, the manufacturer is set up to fax the transfer form for approval.

Once the manufacturer receives approval, they can ship the silencer to my local class III dealer. Once my dealer receives the transferred silencer, my local dealer can then submit my completed form 4 along with payment, presumably, via mail.

My expectation is that once my local dealer files my form 4 it will take ~4 months.

My question is, really, in today's environment, how long should it take for approval of the transfer from manufacturer to dealer (form 3)? The form was submitted roughly 5 weeks ago.

My secondary question is, in today's environment, is ~4 months a reasonable expectation for form 4 approval?
If a random bolt of lightning hits you when you're standing in the middle of the field--that feels like a random event. But if your business is to stand in random fields during lightning storms, then you should anticipate, perhaps a little more robustly, the risks you're taking on.
aquajon
Silent But Deadly

Post by aquajon »

My most recent can's form 3 took about 5 weeks. I'm heading to my dealer in about an hour to sign the form4 and submit that today.

form 3's are taking up to 45 days.
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

My Trust Form 1's are taking about 2 months, much better than the mere mortal route.
NFAtalk.org
Shea
Silent Operator

Post by Shea »

My last 2 Form 4s took about 90 days which I thought was good in today's environment. These were on a Trust.

Thanks,
Shea
Omega_556
Silent But Deadly

Post by Omega_556 »

My suppressor took 3 weeks for my dealer to receive, from another dealer, on a form 3 in March. The Form 4 on a trust was submitted 4/16 and is not yet pending.

My SBR Form 1 on a trust took 3.5 months
TypeR632
Silent But Deadly

Post by TypeR632 »

Major Malfunctions form 3's were taking about 4 weeks.
SWR Spectre
SWR TRIDENT
AAC 762SD
AAC TITAN
<Mach1
Silent But Deadly

Post by <Mach1 »

ArevaloSOCOM wrote:My Trust Form 1's are taking about 2 months, much better than the mere mortal route.
Super Gods used to be 30-60% faster, though now-a-days even they are demoted to what once was a mortal level :cry:
NFA Firearms: A hobby/livelihood requiring immeasurable patience & finances, which for those who survive the introduction is a life long commitment.
saunderscc
Silent Operator

Post by saunderscc »

It sounds like I'm in the ballpark, then.

Thanks.
assaulter

Post by assaulter »

I'm coming close to four months. It's getting frustrating seeing others who sent theirs after mine get approved first.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

my form 3 from majior mal. took 13 days. my dealer had can in his hands in 15 days from the day i paid for it . that was about 3 weeks ago. i was told they both have same examiner not sure if that matters. sent form 4 of last week .
Last edited by 66427vette on Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dfire
Silent But Deadly

Post by dfire »

I sent all my paper work in a little over 3 months ago and am still waiting. :evil:
Don't look at me with that tone of voice !
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

saunderscc wrote:My question is, really, in today's environment, how long should it take for approval of the transfer from manufacturer to dealer (form 3)?
I had a F3 turn around in a little under three weeks last month. That seems to be unusually fast at the moment though.
My secondary question is, in today's environment, is ~4 months a reasonable expectation for form 4 approval?
I'd bump it to five. If you were to submit a F4 now, I would not look for it to come back until November. Maybe later, because the number of transfers does not seem to be going down.
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

<Mach1 wrote:
ArevaloSOCOM wrote:My Trust Form 1's are taking about 2 months, much better than the mere mortal route.
Super Gods used to be 30-60% faster, though now-a-days even they are demoted to what once was a mortal level :cry:
LOL.

I ain't crying. In "the good ole days" my fastest Form 4 transfer was 21 days form mail box to mail box.

Anymore I don't really care how long it is so long as it isn't like 3-4months or greater.

Hell, IMHO making the can and getting to the buyer takes longer than the BATFE does to approve my Trust transfers.

I ain't bitchin, I'm just saying.

:lol:
NFAtalk.org
coyote223
Silent But Deadly

Post by coyote223 »

I think there must be some "Luck" involved too. I sent a form 4 in on Dec 30, 2008.
Didn't go Pending until Mar 11, 2009.
Status was updated to "waiting for fingerprint results" on April 6, 2009.
Thats where it still sits today, waiting 2 months for the FBI to return prints. Bad luck on this one. :x

I see other people posting that theirs went thru in the normal 3 months or less. Plus theirs were sent in after mine, go figure. :?
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

I mailed a Form 4 off on 04 Mar and it was approved 02Jun, mine was a trust.
Omega_556
Silent But Deadly

Post by Omega_556 »

Abiqua14 wrote:I mailed a Form 4 off on 04 Mar and it was approved 02Jun, mine was a trust.
Congrats on a quick turn around. I'm curious to know what was is the first letter of the dealers name, and who was the examiner?
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

Omega_556 wrote:
Abiqua14 wrote:I mailed a Form 4 off on 04 Mar and it was approved 02Jun, mine was a trust.
Congrats on a quick turn around. I'm curious to know what was is the first letter of the dealers name, and who was the examiner?
Is it his business name or his last initial? I'll post the examiners name as soon as I find out.
TOOL1075
Silent But Deadly

Post by TOOL1075 »

mine went pending 21-APR (form 4 on a trust)

still waiting..........

it seems to be a crapshoot, even if you get a "fast" examiner

probably has a lot to do with how they are looking at the trusts, I think.

Seems to me they are scrutinizing the trusts even more now, as many people are reporting they have to submit the entire trust (which still bugs me)

I sent mine in, to be safe, but it just seems weird...
Omega_556
Silent But Deadly

Post by Omega_556 »

Abiqua14 wrote:Is it his business name or his last initial? I'll post the examiners name as soon as I find out.
Sorry if I was unclear, I meant the first letter of the business name.
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

Omega_556 wrote:
Abiqua14 wrote:Is it his business name or his last initial? I'll post the examiners name as soon as I find out.
Sorry if I was unclear, I meant the first letter of the business name.
Brought to you by the letter "O".