Which 45 suppressor host

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Ge-mini-gun

Which 45 suppressor host

Post by Ge-mini-gun »

I’m waiting for the approval for a HEMS II and now I’m second guessing my choice of host gun. If it were you which gun would you choose and why…USP Tactical or Sig 220? Thanks for the information.
sniper1
Silent But Deadly

Post by sniper1 »

USP, because I think they are sexy.

imyomama
Silent But Deadly

Post by imyomama »

h&k mark23!!!!
-------------------------------------------------------
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" --- Clint Eastwood --- The Outlaw Josey Wales
cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by cyclone72 »

imyomama wrote:h&k mark23!!!!
with the bipod and AA sights. :wink:
ThePatriot
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThePatriot »

1911. Between the two I would get the Sig.
"With a girl, there's a lot left in the girl's body without a head. Of course, the personality is gone."

-Edmund Kemper
Ge-mini-gun

Post by Ge-mini-gun »

Any reason for that?
cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by cyclone72 »

I would go for the Tactical because of the polymer frame. I had a Sig 226 and a H&K SD, the Evo I had sounded quieter with the polymer framed pistol. The Sigs action was noisier than the H&K's.
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

Now this chimes in nicely with a question I've had in mind for some time. In your experience, what is the best host, suppression-wise, for .45 caliber?
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
D9M9TR9S
Silent But Deadly

Post by D9M9TR9S »

USP Tactical all the way... :D
TypeR632
Silent But Deadly

Post by TypeR632 »

I had the USP 9 and traded for the Sig 226. I wasn't impressed with the HK. That being said I would go for the P220, to me the Sig just looks and feels like a better built gun. I guess opinions vary.....
SWR Spectre
SWR TRIDENT
AAC 762SD
AAC TITAN
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

I can say definitively with 8 witnesses that my XD45/ HEMSII sounded quieter than my the guy next to me with the USP 45/EVO at the DNR range two months ago. Both shot wet with Remington 230gr.
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst or explode, it's not worth shooting.
Fireman1291
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fireman1291 »

Get a 1911, HKtac, and P220. Problem solved.

My primary host for my hems2 is my HKtac but im getting a threaded barrel for the 1911, and I already have the piston. :D
Industry T&E
https://www.youtube.com/nfareviewchannelusa
Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/NFAreviewchannel
Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/nfareview
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

I kind of lucked into this one..I was contemplating a 220 just for my .45 can but didn't want to spend the money on .45 host weapon at the time cutting into my suppressor funds(figure you can always buy 8 round pistols at least for the next few years) I was just gonna stick the .45 can into the safe.

Mind you your looking at 1100.00 for the 220tb..I asked my gunsmith what he could do on a special order for a 220 and he handed me this with the .22 kit on it already..and for 300 bucks more I could get the .45 slide kit with Sigs new promotion and I could also get threaded barrels for both slides

So the .22 220 cost 469..the .45 kit cost me 300 and the threaded barrel in .45 cost me 199 and the .22 threaded barrel cost me 149..
So for 1100 bucks I have 4 barrels and 2 slides that make for 2 host weapons..This version doesn't come with the decocker(which I don't care for anyway) and its single action only making for a much better trigger..Traded my Mosquito on this one getting rid of that grity 12 pound trigger pull.

The 220 is the tightest factory gun I've ever owned(with the .45 slide) other than a performance center piece. Drop that barrel in the slide and you would think its one piece of steel.

Sig did send the wrong .22 threaded barrel of course. It was supposed to be standard threads and I got the metric that you have to use with the adapter. I'm probably going to just return the barrel and sell the .22 kit.
But its a great idea and price point to cover two calibers with one gun.
And as a side note the YHM can turned out to be one of my favorites..I can shoot it on my 9mm and .22 as well and since its take apart I can shoot lead through it all day long..(9mm going through it wet sounds like .22 suppressed)

Last edited by Chondro on Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
ThePatriot
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThePatriot »

Ge-mini-gun wrote:Any reason for that?
Simplest reason is they are equally reliable but the Sig feels better in my hand. People are always asking which handgun to get when the thing is Sig, Glock, HK, Springfield etc. are all great guns. But, only one has the right grip for you.

Even though this is not important to some guys, I think Sigs look good and HKs are kinda ugly. Maybe I'm putting too much emphasis on the feel of the gun but that is how I look at it.

As for why I would choose a 1911, they are accurate, sturdy, obviously proven, and dead sexy especially with a suppressor attached. I would like to use a G21 as a .45 host but I sold the one I had because I got tired of searching for a good grip with my small girly hands. I'm a Glock guy at heart.
"With a girl, there's a lot left in the girl's body without a head. Of course, the personality is gone."

-Edmund Kemper
Ray Barnes
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ray Barnes »

HK MK 23. Fits my hand perfectly. Also the Colt 1911A1
gunn24
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunn24 »

KRISS!
ThePatriot
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThePatriot »

Ray Barnes wrote:HK MK 23. Fits my hand perfectly. Also the Colt 1911A1
Fair enough, but IMO that is more of surface area issue as the frame and grip of the two are not identical. I am only comfortable shooting handguns with small-medium frames/grips from which I have many to choose from and they are all different. I should have said the Sig and HK will have a different feel and to pick that is the best between the two.

-Edmund Kemper
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

My favorite .45 is the S&W model .745..I have 3 of them I love them so much..Scratch that..I have two now..traded in one as well towards the 220..No way I could find an aftermarket threaded barrel for that.

But now I understand you can have barrels extended and then threaded. Is that correct? Gonna kick myself in the ass if its the case..

On another side note the 220 .45 threaded barrel is the best thread job I've ever seen..super tight but still butter smooth..Have to admit there is a bit of sex appeal to the 220 with the tan frame..

I really gota get away from gun related stuff for awhile.. :lol:
JohnDS
Silent But Deadly

Post by JohnDS »

The main thing for me with my big hands was the added magazine capacity (12). With a hogue hand-all it fits my hands like a glove. I like the raised sights, and I like the adjustable match trigger. That's why I have the HK USP.
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

Chondro wrote: But now I understand you can have barrels extended and then threaded. Is that correct? Gonna kick myself in the ass if its the case..
Check with ADCO they'll tell you if they can extend it and thread it.
www.adcofirearms.com
Threaded Barrel Extension For use with factory pistol barrel $150.00
Common on Glocks, Sigs, M&Ps, Hi-Powers, etc. We do U.S. RH threads only. Barrel must be at least 3.9" long. A good option if you have a pistol which extended factory barrels are not available. Please send your slide with the barrel so we can match the depth/diameter of the extension.
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Re: Which 45 suppressor host

Post by Artful »

Ge-mini-gun wrote:I’m waiting for the approval for a HEMS II and now I’m second guessing my choice of host gun. If it were you which gun would you choose and why…USP Tactical or Sig 220? Thanks for the information.
Which do you shoot better - I have a SIG 220 but I shoot my 1911A1's better so I put a threaded barrel on that one.
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
CKOD
Silent But Deadly

Post by CKOD »

.45 enfield or a .44 mag bolt action rifle 8)
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

Artful I want to thankyou! s--t now I don't need my 220.. :oops: Well new found silencer cash!!
ThePatriot
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThePatriot »

You serious?

-Edmund Kemper
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

:P