Magpul's Angled Forward Grip (AFG)

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderator: NickB

TigWiz
Silent But Deadly

Magpul's Angled Forward Grip (AFG)

Post by TigWiz »

Well here it is! I’m no photographer, but the point and shoot will have to do for now. The DSLR and light box are being setup as I type this.

Now, first Impressions: This thing is built like a tank as is standard with all Magpul products and has a very refined feel to it. I was initially worried that my 9â€
TigWiz
Silent But Deadly

Post by TigWiz »

My particular rail setup includes a Daniel Defense Omega Rail and Tango Down rail panels. This particular setup did not allow the AFG to simply slide right on, but after 60 seconds with a file (filed the rail covers edge just slightly) everything went together. I'm very happy with this new product thus far.

Cj Two A
Silent But Deadly

Post by Cj Two A »

I got my T&E AFG about 45 mins ago, rode the ATV out into the field and did some shooting. This is my new grip of choice, and I'll be changing my setup to facilitate it. The recoil control was much nicer, I went through 6 mags on different targets and 3 of those mags were shooting as fast as I could pull the trigger. Plenty accurate, at least for my tastes, and better than what I've done before with an M900. My hand did get a little warmer being out there on the business end, but it wasn't anything problematic or even uncomfortable. I don't have fancy grips like some with the stippling, but ladder rails work fine with this, and I've always liked ladder rails better for more control(imho) and less weight. I'll post pics out in the woods sometime tomorrow unless Christmas steals all my time.

***Follow-Up***
Well I traded in my M900 Vertical Foregrip/Weapon light for an M962xm07 in amazing deal from Cheetah. Now that I've got the rail set up the way I want it, I love this platform even more. It all just fits my hand. I went to my local dealer to show it off and they were all pretty pleased with it. Two of the guys have real sausage fingers so it didn't quite work for them, but I told them about the replaceable smooth finger rest and they though that would solve their problems. Personally I really really enjoy this setup, it feels so much better.

***Second Follow-Up***
This weekend my friend scott was in town from L.A.. He has run my informal run and gun course that I've got set up before with my 6920 and a surefire M900 at night(Thank god for grandparents with lots of land). This time he ran it at night with the AFG and a Surefire M962. He didn't like the lack of navigation lights, but he never tripped on anything and he did extremely well if you judge exclusively by the targets. The main point is that Scott has severe carpal tunnel syndrome to the point that he is scheduled for surgery in march to fix it. He did much better on the course this time as compared to the vertical foregrip M900. Normally you could discount this by saying that he was more familiar with the course this time, but he said that this time his wrists didn't hurt him at all, whereas last time he wasn't able to play halo 3 with me after the course. So if you have carpal tunnel I guess this is the foregrip for you.
Last edited by Cj Two A on Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JudgeJule
Senior Silent Operator

Post by JudgeJule »

Wow, this AFG works great on a MP5 as well. Image
Gemtech Blackside, Oasis, Outback II, Raptor; AAC Evo9, Evo9 CQC, Evo45, 762SD, Scarab, Tirant 9; SWR Warlock; AWC Turbodyne, MK9; Silencerco Osprey .45; Soundtech .308 and Fatboy; and John Guns MkIII
JohnnyC
Silent But Deadly

Post by JohnnyC »

Hey TigWiz, something I've noticed is that all of the slick/nub plate has the nub towards the bottom. Is it possible to turn it 180 and put the nub towards the rail as opposed to the bottom of the grip? Can't tell by the pics if it's possible, and really only curious to see if it would allow a little more customization by the end user.
LonghunterCO
Silent But Deadly

Post by LonghunterCO »

JohnnyC wrote:Hey TigWiz, something I've noticed is that all of the slick/nub plate has the nub towards the bottom. Is it possible to turn it 180 and put the nub towards the rail as opposed to the bottom of the grip? Can't tell by the pics if it's possible, and really only curious to see if it would allow a little more customization by the end user.
On another forum Costa said that it can.
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

Beautiful MP5!
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o »

Looks nice, and I'm sure it works good, but it does seem to take up a lot of real estate on the rail.

Does it have a quick attach/detach button, or do you have to use a screw driver every time??

MSRP??
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." -Goethe
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

Screw driver everytime, and I think it's $35
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o »

It does seem a lot more "low drag" than a typical forward grip.

Would probably make the draw from an eberlestock backpack easier.

Maybe the genII will have a fast attach button installed??
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." -Goethe
mropus69
Silent But Deadly

Post by mropus69 »

Just got done at the range with my new AFG and wow, it feels like I am pulling it into my shoulder much more tighter than I ever did with my old vert grip. No slipage and I got right back on target. I really liked the feel and was very comfortable shooting. Recommended!
Steve (Spike) Mullis
USN-Ret HM1 NAC AW FMF
"Cry Havoc and Release the Dogs of War"
Smilodon
Silent But Deadly

Post by Smilodon »

JudgeJule, more pics/info on that MP5 please. I like the Aimpoint mount, looks to be alot better than that claw mount my Dad is using on his now.
www.sabrewerks.com
[email protected]
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

Sorry for the poor picture, I am in the middle of a move, so the camera is packed somewhere. I wont comment on build quality / features as that has been covered very well by those above. I will say it fit onto my rail (LWRC) just fine, and locked down tight. I replaced the A2 nub with the smooth insert and much prefer that. I moved my front BUIS back on the rail so my thumb can sit on top of the rail. The only complaint I have the is texturing is not as aggressive as I would like, and the angle is not as vertical as I would like. I would like to see an articulated model with a replaceable back support strut with several lengths that would change the angle of the grip to suit the user. Otherwise it feels much better, less fatigue while shooting / low ready. I already ordered a few more for my BR and Shotgun to try on there. The only thing I will change with this setup is to change the Larue Offset light mount to something more streamlined as the throw lever gets in my way a little bit. I was looking at the new Gear Sector mounts.

tomahawk84
Silent But Deadly

Post by tomahawk84 »

I am still debating on getting one has anyone gotten some experience with this thing?

I might get one just to try it out who knows
N/A
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

I am very happy with mine. Cheap and effective. Once I get a chance I am going to stipple it. After that's done I will be very happy with it.
mropus69
Silent But Deadly

Post by mropus69 »

hey Goteron, I use a Vltor 90 degree scout mount for my sure fire and have it on my left rail. All I have to do is slightly move my left thumb to activate it (getting a pressure switch next to try on it). It is super easy to take on and off and was simple since I also use the XTM rail covers. I also have my AFG back farther on the rail. I tried it high up on the rail but it didn't feel comfortable. I really like the feel of the AFG the way it is, much more than the vertical grip i had. I also understand the are bringing it out in FDE. I might just have to buy another one.

And for Tomahawk84, I have put out about 400 rounds with my AFG on and it is much more comfortable and stable than the vertical broomstick grip I used. It is also cheap enough that it won't break your bank and if you don't like it you can still sell it at a good price online.
Steve (Spike) Mullis
USN-Ret HM1 NAC AW FMF
KM223
Silent Operator

Post by KM223 »

Works as advertised. I love it!

mropus69
Silent But Deadly

Post by mropus69 »

real purdy KM223, real purdy...... is that an aimpoint micro on top? How do you like it?
Steve (Spike) Mullis
USN-Ret HM1 NAC AW FMF
KM223
Silent Operator

Post by KM223 »

mropus69 wrote:real purdy KM223, real purdy...... is that an aimpoint micro on top? How do you like it?
Thanks! Yep Aimpoint T1. I love it, i'm faster with the T1 then any of my other Aimpoints.
withoutremorse42
Silent But Deadly

Post by withoutremorse42 »

KM223 wrote:Works as advertised. I love it!

congrats on having the first FDE AFG pics on the net I could find
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member11084.png[/img][/url]
jppd47
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by jppd47 »

Took her to the Range today. I liked it. I will most definitely find a home on my Rifles. It was a different grip than your used to, but not uncomfortable. Its almost like having part of your hand on the magwell, but further out and more comfortable, seams like better control with the muzzle. Ill continue to use it and see how she does.

Interested to trade the FDE for a black? :)
pro-gun gun owners are a minority.
Fair Use applies (U.S. Code Title 17 Chapter 1 Subsection 107)
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

Mropus69, I got a VLTOR offset and mount it at 12 o'clock now. Works great, just need to stipple it now and get some more purchase.
mropus69
Silent But Deadly

Post by mropus69 »

I'm thinking I will mount the pressure switch for my surefire on the top so my thumb stays in a more secure grip. I gotta also find better optics since my last POS cheap assed red dot would move on me every shot I took. Doesn't Magpul make a switch plate cover?
Steve (Spike) Mullis
USN-Ret HM1 NAC AW FMF
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

Magpul does make a pressure pad holder. I just wish there were smaller pads, I really don't like them at all. I will probably stick with it this way.
LiquidTension
Silent Operator

Post by LiquidTension »

I haven't taken the rifle to the range since I got the AFG, but I like the way it handles so far. I don't like the finger shelf - I'll be removing it before I hit the range.