How "tac" do you guys look with your gear?

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Lindenwood
Silent But Deadly

Post by Lindenwood »

I think I might have a solution. It basically will look like several pouches on a chest rig, but not specifically like a gun holster. I will have to make it from scratch, so I've got to go find some decent fabric and get some more Hook-and-Loop, but I'll let you guys know what kind of progress I make.
Dweezil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dweezil »

Dude...seriously... smaller gun. A Taurus PT92 is an awfully big, thick gun to try to carry concealed without a lot of major changes to your wardrobe and/or a lot of discomfort. Even a full size 1911 would at least be thinner/more concealable/more comfortable. Save the PT 92 for the zombies. If money is a concern, and you already like Taurus, their model 85CH bobbed hammer 38sp. revolver is affordable and very concealable for every day carry. Definitely NOT mall ninja. This thing just disappears and is short enough for strong side IWB or appendix carry. Of course, I'm in the desert southwest where T-shirt and shorts are the norm for 10 months out of the year.
"I'm from the government...I'm here to help."
Lindenwood
Silent But Deadly

Post by Lindenwood »

Like I said, I don't really need a smaller gun for everyday concealment. I am not worried about everyday concealment, I am worried about the use of external holsters leading to me getting hassled.

Working on the chest rig now.

*edit*

That said, however, this summer I'd like to get a subcompact / pocket pistol, largely to pocket carry in dress pants, but with your stated advantages of easier concealment and more comfort. But, when the chips are down, I like the idea of knowing I have 18 rounds in a larger, more controllable platform with which I have the most training, as opposed to a tiny, jumpy pocket pistol with limited capacity and a short sight radius. The only reason I would say I needed a smaller pistol would be if the greater difficulty and discomfort caused me to not carry, which is very far from the case.
Dweezil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dweezil »

Ok. But just to clarify....you DO know Zombies aren't real...right?
Lindenwood
Silent But Deadly

Post by Lindenwood »

Yeah... :(

:P
Dweezil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dweezil »

...but they would be kinda fun...briefly. By the way, have you seen "Fido?" Best Zombie movie ever.

Have you given any thought to what kind of pocket pistol you want?
Lindenwood
Silent But Deadly

Post by Lindenwood »

I have given it some thought, but it was just enough to realize how many options I have, heh.

I'd really like to stay with 9mm for the obvious ammo compatability, but I would have to go to the larger end to maintain good control (Taurus Slim, Glock 26, etc). I could go the tiny .32acp route, but those are still not really enjoyable to shoot, nor are they cheaper to feed. I have considered a Beretta Bobcat, however, to get the most use out of it in general: my GF would enjoy shooting it and might even carry it sometimes, I could plink with it in the woods using a small, cheap suppressor, and could practice with it for days at a time with $0.25 worth of ammo.

But, I will cross that bridge when I get there, which would including trying out some of my choices (we shot a bobcat and a .32acp pocket pistol, though. The GF loved the bobcat and handed the .32 back after one shot, and I still only shot a single mag out of it).

Finished the waist rig. It's very comfortable and secure, and mildly concealable (well, more than like a thigh holster, heh). Took some pics and will upload them soon.
Lindenwood
Silent But Deadly

Post by Lindenwood »

eOk, here it is lying on the ground. It is made of doubled-up black felt. The belt was an old heavy nylon shell belt, which I cleared of the elastic loops and sewed to the felt backing. I left the muzzle end open to accomodate a future can :) . I had to buy the $8 worth of material, but I already had the belt and the weapon-retention strap / buckle. To do this exact thing all over again, however, would still cost less than $10. I bought two yards of material figuring I'd make mistakes (and I did--this is the second version, as the first I ended up making too thick and couldn't sew anything on it without jamming up my machine). I found a very similar nylon belt / strap at Walmart for $4, and the fabric was about $4 per yard. The original version also used velcro to secure it around my waist, but I didn't like it nearly as much.

Here is a front view with it on. I would have liked to have a more one-handed quick-release design, but that is all I had lying around (from an old waist pack). I oriented the weapon retention strap like that to help support the weight of the grip when running or over long periods, and it seems to do that very well.:

Here is the mag carrier. I used a piece of the strap from a torn-up backpack to hold it on through the original belt loop. It is secure and pretty stable (as stable as it is on a belt), but I did this so I could remove it later on without damaging the carrier. :

Here is the mag retainer, with a spare empty for example:

Here it is under a vest, WITHOUT the mags (empty mag carrier). As you can see, it prints quite clearly with a thin vest, and would really be best suited for emergency situations or hiking / camping:

However, stuffing gloves or something in the vest pockets pretty much removes the obviousness. I still wouldn't go to walmart every day wearing that, but for the most part you can't specifically tell I'm packin'. However with the two extra mags in place it is much more pronounced.

Sorry for the discrepancies in pic sizes. I got a new computer and haven't got Photoshop on it, so I had to use paint, heh.

It is a little ghetto, I know. The magnet in the shell carrier is my way of keeping a good hold on full mags without having flaps to mess with (and with the longer mags, the flaps weren't secure enough to keep the mags from sliding around the flaps anyways). The felt seems pretty tough, but I am not sure how it will hold up in the long run. If I still like it after a while and I am noticing some problems with the material, then I might try to find some nice nylon and make another one.

*edit*

I had to correct one issue, which was that when running (I wore it under my coat go to play with my dog outside), the magnet on the mag carrier bounces against my hip. I sewed some folded-up felt on the inside of it and it seems to be ok now. I have noticed there is a risk of cutting myself on the magazine floor plates because they stick out so far, but I guess I will just have to be careful and aware of that. Without any empties, the mag retaining magnet doesn't get in the way of a draw, though after a mag change or two it definitely would (would likely scrape my fingers as I draw the grip past the empties). Though, I don't imagine I'd be doing much un- and re-holstering during a gunfight, so I figure if I am alive to reholster my weapon, I would be out of danger and could more calmly manipulate the weapon into and out of the holster (or I could just put the empties into a pocket during that piece).

*enother of 10 edits*

I am thinking about making the mag carrier removable, and possibly the spare magnet as well. Doing that would make the whole rig more concealable I think. I could then have the comfort and security of this waist setup without the bulk of the spare mags, if all I am doing is wandering out in the woods and not fighting zombies (teehee). If I could come up with some stable and secure QD solution (might try some velcro webbing), that would obviously be best.
flip
Elite Member

Post by flip »

NO offense intended but WOW. :?
Gunsmith.JM
Silent But Deadly

Post by Gunsmith.JM »

You know, a good shoulder holster would do all that (besides the uber tactical magnet) and not make you look like you have bricks on your hips.

Might want to re-think your strategy there.
Lindenwood
Silent But Deadly

Post by Lindenwood »

flip wrote:NO offense intended but WOW. :?
Taking offense to what someone says on the internet would be silly :) . Though im curious which part you find so shocking :) .

I have tried a shoulder holster and I didn't like it very much. Access was slower and more cumbersome, and it was much more pronounced under that same vest than the above setup. Also, keep in mind that vest is very tight.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

I think 2 more mags would just about do it........ :shock:
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
Cheetah
Silent But Deadly

Post by Cheetah »

If you're worried about a better one hand qd thumb break, how do you plan to quickly draw across your stomach inside a zipped up vest, without attracting that unwanted attention to yourself that you're so mindful of?

I think everyone's amazed at the fact that you think at any point you're going to need 59 rounds of 9mm, or a utility belt to carry it. I think you'd be better off loading one in the chamber before you inserted your carry mag, just to be sure you have all 60 rounds. :roll:

Serious note, I'm not trying to belittle you in any way with this, but how long have you been carrying concealed, and how old are you?
smcharchan
Silent But Deadly

Post by smcharchan »

Oh Lord.

Lindenwood, I understand and appreciate your passion, but I believe that you are a little off track.

I recommend you research the tried-and-true methods of concealed carry from reputable resources. There is a ton of outstanding information out there, including books, videos, and classes. Learn from the experts, figure out what methods are best suited for your lifestyle, then worry about the gear.
BWT
Silent But Deadly

Post by BWT »

He won when he brought out the giant magnet.

:lol:

I figured out real fast (I got my CWP finally about a month ago), that I can often times only carry a pistol, and I need to get a single mag carrier, because double mag carriers will basically make my front left pocket unable to use.

I also figured out that Sweaters (Never wore hoodies, just never have) are gone, as the elastic band around the bottom constricts and makes the pistol print. I need to buy T-Shirts at XL or XXL to conceal in dark colors.

Drawing with a jacket on sucks when drawing from anything behind 3 o'clock, I need to figure out a new system.

I like my Comp-Tac Spartan, but I'm not thrilled with it...

I also don't like the fact that kydex rubs off onto stainless steel. So I have faint black streaks on my pistol.

I think concealed carrying is going to take more time to figure out.
Lindenwood
Silent But Deadly

Post by Lindenwood »

Sorry, I don't think you guys are understanding where I'm coming from.

1) This is not about general concealed carry. For daily use, my current pistol and holster combo is not a problem and is both adequately comfortable and completely concealed.

2) For active use, NOT for general concealed carry, I wanted a holster that was both more comfortable and more secure than a retention-level-0 IWB holster. This includes hiking and camping (as I've explained already, see above for further understanding of my point), practical shooting events and private drills, and the inevitable zombie apocalypse.

3) There was a secondary desire to be able to decently conceal this holster, for the purpose of not attacting unnecessary attention to myself and my weapon in situations beyond everyday carry (like camping / hiking, or frantic public emergencies in which I must travel in public but blend in with the masses). A normal jacket or even an average-fit hoodie will easily conceal this rig without the magazine carrier or retention magnet, which allows concealment for active public use without sacrificing the security and comfort of this holster. However, again, this only applies to special circumstances (hiking, camping, and drastic public emergencies), and does NOT apply to daily concealed carry.

4) I do not expect to need that much ammo for any situation except for competitions (and zombies), which is why I said I would like to make the magazine carrier and retention magnet removable for normal outdoor use, while being reattachable for competition and training (and zombies). BTW, I manually load a round into the chamber before loading the full magazine. That is all I ever carry (no spare mags). Hell, that is how I kept this pistol before I started CCing (one thumb-loaded into the chamber, and a full mag).

5) I have sampled several different "tactical" carry positions and holsters. This includes thigh holsters, hip holsters, shoulder holsters, and some chest and stomach rigs. With thigh holsters, any level of concealment is pretty much impossible without a trench coat or some elaborate draping, of which neither appeals to me. With hip holsters, again, on my narrow frame it is very difficult to conceal a hip holster. And to reiterate, with shoulder holsters, I found it is a slower draw to reach 180* around my body as opposed to 90* to my stomach, and it makes make changes more awkward. And with these, like hip holsters, the bulge and printing are very pronounced on my narrow frame and especially with more fitted clothing.

6) Cheetah, once again, this is not something I intend to wear for what we all know as "concealed carry." In competition or emergency situations in which threats may be immediate, I would not have anything covering it, thus making the draw as quick as any other holster. If I am just out enjoying the outdoors, or having to run to walmart at the onset of some major crisis -- both being situations in which I might want the security and comfort of this holster without openly announcing my weapon --, I can zip up a jacket or throw a hoodie on over it (a looser-fitting one than the above photos), and be concealed completely, or at least enough so that in passing nobody would look twice about it. Still I'd have the advantage over my standard IWB holster of not having to worry about my pistol falling out if I climb a tree, take a fall, hop a fence, or have a sprint. However, in such situations in which I may be wearing this holster but covering it up, lifting a shirt or jacket to reach my pistol on my stomach would hardly be slower than lifting a shirt or jacket to reach my pistol inside my belt. And actually, because the draw direction is sideways and not completely vertical, I would not actually have to lift the covering garmet any higher to with the this holster, despite its higher mounting position compared to IWB.

*edit*

BTW, when I say "comfort" and "security" I have only been meaning physical comfort, and not peace-of-mind.
Last edited by Lindenwood on Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smcharchan
Silent But Deadly

Post by smcharchan »

Just figure out what works for you and run with it.

Ok, I'm out. Say "hi" to Maser for me.
Lindenwood
Silent But Deadly

Post by Lindenwood »

Whose Maser?

*edit*

Oh, I remember another couple reasons why I have always liked stomach carry: falling on it hurts the least compared to the (my) bony hip or the side of the rib cage (shoulder holster)! And it is the most comfortable and accessible carry position (of those) to utilize while operating a vehicle.

*edit*

And, compared to IWB, I don't have to worry about it when I pop a squat in the woods :lol: .
Lindenwood
Silent But Deadly

Post by Lindenwood »

Oh, and here's a big one I forgot to mention.

This is one of the best places to holster a suppressed handgun:

With it on my belt, if I were to crouch or sit, the muzzle is in the ground. Not to mention pulling it strait up on my strong side would require me to draw the gun almost into my armpit, which is obviously clumsy and cumbersome.

With a thigh holster, drawing is obviously easier, but the same risk still exists of shoving the muzzle into the ground if I end up on my knee.

With a vertical shoulder holster, the difficulties of drawing are obvious. With a horizontal holster, the drawing difficulty is still there in that I'd have to pull the butt a good foot out on my weak side to get a handle on it. And, the can would either interfere backpack, or jam into whatever I might lean or sit against.

Across the chest / stomach is both a relatively easy draw compared to other carry positions, and keeps the muzzle the most out of harms way compared to those other carry positions. I could crouch, kneel or sit without the can hitting anything. And, of course, forget about a suppressor when carrying IWB!

However, not that I plan on carrying with a suppressor mounted. This would more apply if I am shooting suppressed and would like to temporarily holster it without removing the can. Such situations may include practical shooting competitions, general range use and, of course, during the zombie apocalypse.
ThePatriot
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThePatriot »

When I want to get tactical I start out naked and put on my vietnam jungle boots (after I scrape out the waffle with a stick from stomping queers!), tape my gigantic cock to my leg (no snags), dual wield glocks with 33 round mags and rock-n-roll free as a bird. Also my ultra-whiteness works as a reflector blinding all enemies with an equivalent of 1,000,000 lumens. White power!
"With a girl, there's a lot left in the girl's body without a head. Of course, the personality is gone."

-Edmund Kemper
Cheetah
Silent But Deadly

Post by Cheetah »

At this point, I've decided to tag this thread for amusement. :roll:
stevejobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by stevejobs »

Lindenwood is ready to slaughter those nordstrom shopping, jamba juice drinking zombies. Plus, the magnets are a natural cure if he gets shot.

Just kiddin brother, that set up is wicked.
flip
Elite Member

Post by flip »

I'm starting to get the geko45 twitches, can't read this thread anymore.
Lindenwood
Silent But Deadly

Post by Lindenwood »

You know, if you guys would actually point out the actual flaws, maybe I might learn what you think I should? So far, you've provided little more than "omg wtf lolzors?"

But, so far it just looks like this is funny to you guys because it's different, not because it's impractical or unuseful. If that's the case, then I guess I've learned all I need to from this thread.

Thanks!

P.S. And, just so you know, any time I mention the word "zombies" it is out of pure jest and is only in reference to [some really crappy situation].
flip
Elite Member

Post by flip »