Shortest barrel for midlength? Actual experience please!

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

este
Silent But Deadly

Shortest barrel for midlength? Actual experience please!

Post by este »

I have a REALLY great deal on a REALLY good barrel. Already chambered for 223 Wylde, I wanted to cut it from 16" to 12.5 but it's already drilled for mid-length.

So, I understand without a suppressor it would work fine but what is the shortest I can run it without a can? I have read Noveske has/had a 13.7" but I am unaware of their gas port hole and/or other modifications.

Anyone have experience with this? I would settle for 13.5", anything longer than that and I'll just leave it 16" and buy a more expensive and far less quality barrel from the usual places.

Anyone?
-k-
Industry Professional

Post by -k- »

13.7" mid works well.
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

-k- wrote:13.7" mid works well.
You're my hero Todd. :)

Follow up then, I am guessing the reason the Infidel uppers were 13.7 was because with the piggy muzzle device it comes out to 16.1". So guys could stay away from camp-nfa.

In your (non-binding) opinion, would shorter have worked (ignoring the nfa implcations) Like 13.0" or less?

Or does this all negate the advantages of a middy while also requiring custom gas block work?
chili17
Elite Member

Post by chili17 »

I have an 11.5 with a mid length DI system that works well.
Hipes Consulting Services LLC
FFL/SOT 07/02
North Texas
[email protected]
-k-
Industry Professional

Post by -k- »

It will run shorter but be more sensitive, not worth the hassle in my opinion.
JohnnyO
Silent But Deadly

Post by JohnnyO »

I cut this one at 12.75 and it has run great with or without the can using Q3131A. If you want to be safe 13.5 is going to be a good number.

ImageImage
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

I think I've got a plan. This is too good a barrel to pass up so I'm going to hop on it and cut it to 13.7 ala the Noveske.

That way, even though my receiver is SBR, if I ever want to sell it all I have to do is get a KX3 and pin it, then it can be sold to anyone. And I suspect this barrel would go quickly.

While it isn't as short as I would have liked, it's should let me know if I would even appreciate a 10.5-11.5" later on. I suppose since I'll do an 8-9" whisper I might not miss a 10.5" 223. I might find that I don't mind the extra 3" and it's not a problem anyhow0.

Save a shorter setup for an ACR/XCR/MSAR/whatever later on. At least that's the plan for today.

Todd, do you have an exact length added with the KX3?
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

JohnnyO wrote:I cut this one at 12.75 and it has run great with or without the can using Q3131A. If you want to be safe 13.5 is going to be a good number.

ImageImage
That looks good. Did you have to open the gas port any?
dtgman227
Senior Silent Operator

Post by dtgman227 »

There are smiths out there that can move your gas system (mid - car) for pretty cheap. I know ADCO does it for $35.00.
NickB
Elite Industry Professional

Post by NickB »

-k- wrote:13.7" mid works well.
My 13.7" runs like a champ on almost everything, but it doesn't like the notoriously under-gassed Privi that I tried last year. Everything else is great, though.
--Nick
VP of Business Development for SilencerCo