Gemtech G5 5.56?

Company specific discussions and announcements.
FB3
Silent But Deadly

Gemtech G5 5.56?

Post by FB3 »

I have a chance to get a new G5 5.56 with multi mount from my dealer at a real good price and also save on the Form 4 fee through the Gemtax offer.

Don't know anything about it and am looking for some comments from those who have experience with one. Dealer says it is a high second tier lower first tier silencer.

Appreciate any feedback on this. Thanks.
TX-Leo
Silent But Deadly

Re: Gemtech G5 5.56?

Post by TX-Leo »

FB3 wrote:I have a chance to get a new G5 5.56 with multi mount from my dealer at a real good price and also save on the Form 4 fee through the Gemtax offer.

Don't know anything about it and am looking for some comments from those who have experience with one. Dealer says it is a high second tier lower first tier silencer.

G5 is just as good as any other SWR/AAC/ etc brand and nobody is going to notice the difference. I think your dealer is just partial to other brands is all. Theres nothing 2nd tier about anything gemtech makes. I would seek other sources for more opinions on gemtech products. Don't rely on just one source.

My M496D is hearing safe, built like a tank and thats all that matters.
www.cop-talk.net
jjgow
Silent But Deadly

Post by jjgow »

TX-Leo wrote:
FB3 wrote:I have a chance to get a new G5 5.56 with multi mount from my dealer at a real good price and also save on the Form 4 fee through the Gemtax offer.

G5 is just as good as any other SWR/AAC/ etc brand and nobody is going to notice the difference. I think your dealer is just partial to other brands is all. Theres nothing 2nd tier about anything gemtech makes. I would seek other sources for more opinions on gemtech products. Don't rely on just one source.

No it isn't.
diablito
Silent But Deadly

Post by diablito »

jjgow wrote:
TX-Leo wrote:

No it isn't.
your right... also important when buying a can is how many people have a company's logo tattooed on their pasty skin!!

BUY the G5... you'll be very happy!
Last edited by diablito on Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

Well, is the G5 hearing safe or isn't it? Anybody actually metered the thing?
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
hemi
Silent But Deadly

Post by hemi »

AND.............. It's got a fully welded core. :lol:
O'Neill Ops
Silent But Deadly

Post by O'Neill Ops »

diablito wrote: your right... also important when buying a can is how many people have a company's logo tattooed on there pasty skin!!

BUY the G5... you'll be very happy!
+1... i have a G5 QD, and you will be very happy with it, its just as quiet as my yhm phantom, and my buddies hurricane, and built very well.
Respect is earned through strength, weakness invites aggression.
FB3
Silent But Deadly

Post by FB3 »

Thanks for the replies.

Actually my dealer likes the G5 so there is no bias there. I looked at it and it is heavy.

I doubt that any 5.57 can is hearing safe. At least I don't want to risk what hearing I have left to shoot it out without ear protection!

I am getting the G5 if I live long enough for the Form 4 to process!
JohnnyC
Silent But Deadly

Post by JohnnyC »

FB3 wrote:Thanks for the replies.

Actually my dealer likes the G5 so there is no bias there. I looked at it and it is heavy.

I doubt that any 5.57 can is hearing safe. At least I don't want to risk what hearing I have left to shoot it out without ear protection!

I am getting the G5 if I live long enough for the Form 4 to process!
You would be better off going with a different 5.56 can. YHM to save money, or AAC M4-2k or 1k or SPR/M4 if you want better suppression and durability. The G5 is an "ok" can but better can be had for the money. I personally don't like its "interesting" construction methods. I've heard it side-by-side with several other cans including both the YHM and AAC offerings and it was definitely the least desirable of them. Check out Ops Inc as well, they make some nice 5.56 silencers.
TX-Leo
Silent But Deadly

Post by TX-Leo »

jjgow wrote:
TX-Leo wrote:

No it isn't.
I own one, so I would know.
www.cop-talk.net
JohnnyC
Silent But Deadly

Post by JohnnyC »

TX-Leo wrote:
jjgow wrote:
TX-Leo wrote:

No it isn't.
No, you own one so you're emotionally attached to your purchase. It's the same thing as people buying an RRA or a Bushmaster and saying that it's as good as a Colt 6920.

The "inconel" is just an insert held onto the blast baffle with a pin, the mount section is held to the tube with another pin, the "fully welded core" isn't. Before they were solid steel pins they were roll pins. They made that change after it came to light that their highly touted (by them) methods really weren't. Their construction method still leaves a lot to be desired compared to most other 5.56 cans. The YHM is a better can, the AAC M4-1000 is a better can, hell I'd be that those "Front Towards Arabs" cans that Green0 made are better cans than the G5 in terms of durability. Bottom line is that the G5 is a lower level 5.56 can with average suppression, below average construction, and an above average price tag.

Here's a good idea, Bryon, Maj Malfunction, is a dealer of many many things, and in fact stocks cans that he himself feels are good products. He does not stock the G5. Maybe you should ask him why, because I guarantee he has tons more experience than "I own one, I would know."

Btw Gemtech does make some good stuff. The Outback II is a decent .22 can, their Tundra and MultiMount are decent 9mm cans. I own 2 of the 3 cans just listed.
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

Not only is my girlfriend prettier than yours..... it is my unquestionable opinion that your girlfriend is "horror film ugly."

Sometimes just expressing an opinion isn't enough, you have to call the competition a "dog" to get your real point across. This works well to convince oneself of opinion as absolute undeniable proof even when it is simply opinion.
-----
Ick
TX-Leo
Silent But Deadly

Post by TX-Leo »

Right, and my opinion is good enough for me.

The OP asked for my opinion, and I gave it.
www.cop-talk.net
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

You can't know if something is hearing safe just by ear. You need to measure DB levels and length of pressure spike.

After qualifying as a CCDW instructor, the small class took turns running the range. I ended up going first, and got into an argument with a fellow student. He refused to put hearing protection on. He said he already had some hearing loss and nothing sounded loud anymore so it wouldn't hurt him. And this guy wanted to train people on firearms safety? :shock:

So yeah, personal experience cannot prove the hearing-safe nature of a can, that's up to physics and medicine.
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
firefighter509
Silent But Deadly

Post by firefighter509 »

Ok check this s--t out, should make you choice more difficult.

viewtopic.php?p=559294&highlight=#559294
I MAY DIE IN A DITCH, BUT I WILL BE LYING IN A BED OF BRASS!
LIKE REGAN WATCH THIS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49zqB6qV7hI&feature=related
jjgow
Silent But Deadly

Post by jjgow »

TX-Leo wrote:
jjgow wrote:
TX-Leo wrote:

No it isn't.
"Doesn't hurt my ears" != "hearing safe"
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

FB3 wrote: I doubt that any 5.57 can is hearing safe. At least I don't want to risk what hearing I have left to shoot it out without ear protection!
I have a Gemtech M4-02 that's hearing safe even on a 16" tube. All I hear is the downrange crack!
FB3
Silent But Deadly

Post by FB3 »

Well, after further review I have decided to pass on the G5. I already have a LWRC M6A3 with a blackout mount permanently attached to a 14.7" barrel for the AAC SPR, so I am just going to wait a while longer and get one of those.

I doubt if I would be happy with an interim can,and all that would do would be delay my purchase of the SPR.

Again, thanks for everyone's comments. I know that there is a lot of subjectivity in these comparisons, but sometimes one just has to go with their personal feelings.
MAJ MALFUNCTION
Elite Industry Professional

Post by MAJ MALFUNCTION »

FB3 wrote:I already have a LWRC M6A3 with a blackout mount permanently attached to a 14.7" barrel for the AAC SPR, so I am just going to wait a while longer and get one of those.
You're gonna LOVE the SRP/M4!!

When you're ready to "pull the trigger" please give me a call - we've got 'em in stock, priced WELL BELOW MSRP. :P
SILENCER WHOLESALER - selling to Class III dealers only
flight954
Senior Silent Operator

Post by flight954 »

I have a G5 and wish I would have done more research before my purchase. I would go with the AAC
bkoski
Silent Operator

Re:

Post by bkoski »

flight954 wrote:I have a G5 and wish I would have done more research before my purchase. I would go with the AAC
Ditto. Couldn't have put it better myself. The G5 is not bad, but for the price there are better products, in both build quality and sound suppression. I can shoot my 16" Bushmaster with the G5, without hearing protection, all day long, but it is NOT HEARING SAFE by any means. I don't know if any 5.56mm can on an AR-15 is going to be hearing safe, at least not with supersonic ammunition (just my opinion). If I purchase another rifle can it will be an AAC, almost definitely. And I'm buying from the Major. :wink:

-BK