Gemtech, absolutely superb service...

Company specific discussions and announcements.
OldPaladin

Gemtech, absolutely superb service...

Post by OldPaladin »

I bought three HVTs for my .308s, and a Blackside .45acp. At the time, the booster was not an integral part of the Blackside. When I received them, I called Joey at Gemtech, and was able to talk to Dr. Phillip Anter, a co-founder and design engineer at Gemtech. T'was an honor for me, and I greatly appreciate the rapid response from this fine company.

Joey answered all of my dumb questions, and Dr. Anter did a superb job upgrading my Blackside with the L.I.D., or booster. Magnificent, yet elegantly simple in execution. I appreciate engineering, design, and manufacture- especially what works, and what doesn't.

Thanks, Gemtech, Doctor Anter, and Joey. You all are "The Best!"

OldPaladin, out...
Μολὼν λαβέ (Come and take it!) -King Leonidas of Sparta, to the Emperor Xerxes of Persia.

TANSTAAFL

"An armed society, is a polite society." -Robert Anson Heinlein, American Patriot
ick
Silent But Deadly

Re: Gemtech, absolutely superb service...

Post by ick »

Excellent. Good to hear.
-----
Ick
WasDustyJacket
Silent But Deadly

Post by WasDustyJacket »

"Anter" ? Or was it Dater ?

Glad to hear, since all my suppressors are Gemtech. Waiting to see if they'll ever make a take-apart .22 can before I buy one.
Shoot softly, and carry a big clip.
JohnnyC
Silent But Deadly

Post by JohnnyC »

Just out of curiosity, what did you pay for the booster upgrade?
Walker Precision
Elite Member

Post by Walker Precision »

DustyJacket wrote:"Anter" ? Or was it Dater ?

Glad to hear, since all my suppressors are Gemtech. Waiting to see if they'll ever make a take-apart .22 can before I buy one.
The Alpine come apart.
Chris
Walker Precision
FFL/SOT
WasDustyJacket
Silent But Deadly

Post by WasDustyJacket »

Walker Precision wrote: The Alpine come apart.
That is new.
Excellent. And I think the 'caged' baffles would protect the tube from lead buildup.

Time to order........ hot dog!
TX-Leo
Silent But Deadly

Post by TX-Leo »

The customer service from GT is well known in the industry. No surprise they made you a happy customer.
www.cop-talk.net
snaz567

Post by snaz567 »

I have two HVT's and a Multi-Mount. I've been nothing but impressed w/their customer service and their cans.
TX-Leo
Silent But Deadly

Post by TX-Leo »

snaz567 wrote:I have two HVT's and a Multi-Mount. I've been nothing but impressed w/their customer service and their cans.

Whats the MM9 host? I'm, STILL, waiting for ATF on mine. Check cashed Mar-22.
www.cop-talk.net
WasDustyJacket
Silent But Deadly

Post by WasDustyJacket »

I have my MM on a Beretta
OldPaladin

Post by OldPaladin »

My bad... Had a "senior" moment, there...

Dr. Phillip Dater is the gentleman who helped out... He worked for AAC years ago, and has, I believe 36 years in the industry... He is, like those I've talked to at Gemtech, friendly, knowledgeable, and desirous of producing the best possible products w/total customer satisfaction.

I believe that the upgrade for my Blackside was somewhere in the $210.00 range- please ask Joey. When I ordered it more than a year before receiving it, the L.I.D./booster was not automatically added, so I had paid the price just for the suppressor. Today, I understand, the booster is standard, and the price is reflected on the new models...

Dr. Dater was kind enough to give me the additional information I needed, as to how much grease I needed to use in the first chamber of the suppressor; how to best care and maintain the Blackside; and caring for the booster, itself... Thorough, indeed, is the good Doctor... I greatly appreciate his craftsmanship, professionalism, and attention to detail...

OldPaladin, a VERY happy shooter, out...
Μολὼν λαβέ (Come and take it!) -King Leonidas of Sparta, to the Emperor Xerxes of Persia.

TANSTAAFL

"An armed society, is a polite society." -Robert Anson Heinlein, American Patriot
TX-Leo
Silent But Deadly

Post by TX-Leo »

DustyJacket wrote:I have my MM on a Beretta

If I can find a used one thats not junk, i'll snag one. Either that or the Taurus version. It cycle well ?
www.cop-talk.net
snaz567

Post by snaz567 »

TX-Leo wrote:
snaz567 wrote:I have two HVT's and a Multi-Mount. I've been nothing but impressed w/their customer service and their cans.

Whats the MM9 host? I'm, STILL, waiting for ATF on mine. Check cashed Mar-22.
A G19 and 300 Whisper if I ever get around to finding a mount or re-threading the barrel.

ETA: Actually just called them and they're shipping me a 5/8 x24 end plate to mount to the whisper.
JohnnyC
Silent But Deadly

Post by JohnnyC »

Dater worked for A W C back in the day with Lynn McWilliams. I'm pretty sure there's a better chance of The Rapture occurring tomorrow than Dater working with AAC.

That's still shitty they're charging people for the booster upgrade. They big time screwed the pooch on that one. I'm just lucky they did mine for free.
OldPaladin

Post by OldPaladin »

Hi JohnnyC,

I can't complain about the booster, or how I came to get one. I stand by my post, as to the superb service that I've received from Gemtech, Dr. Dater, and Joey... As far as I'm concerned, they're golden. I'm grateful for my Blackside, and all three of my HVTs...

Too bad you had a bad experience- s--t happens. That they fixed yours for free, should cut them some slack on your part. They've been up front with me, and so far as I know, with everybody else, since correcting their "oversight..."

Frankly, I'm a fan of good engineering, and the production of what really works... Were I still teaching, or in management, I'd look upon Gemtech as a firm that produces fine products, supports them, and offers them at honest prices... Otherwise, I wouldn't have purchased mine...

JohnnyC, did you ever egregiously screw-up, or make an error? Did you earnestly seek to correct what went wrong, or was unintended? I think that Gemtech might have been in that situation... As stated earlier, they've treated me well, professionally, and sought to answer my every question- however dumb they may have been...

I've bought swords and knives, as well as world class longbows. I know the value of fine weapons. I know the drive and mentality of artisans and armorers. When they're really good, you sometimes give them a bit more latitude.

I don't know the in's and out's of what may or may not have happened, in the decision to market the Blackside w/o booster. I DON'T
CARE...

What I DO care about, is their attention to detail, on my acquisitions, and how they treat their customers, especially, me...

If someone, or economic entity, screws up in their dealings with me, and/or if somebody is a casualty, by design and intent, I will destroy their career. I have done so, in the past, when it became necessary.

It does not seem to me, that what occurred with Gemtech, and its customers, was harm intended, either physically, or economically. Have they acted in a manner consistent with behavior of someone/something seeking to establish better relations with their customers?

Not having been in their situation, my opinion would be meaningless. How I have been treated, places them in the center of the X-ring...

OldPaladin, a VERY happy, multiple Gemtech suppressor owner, out...

TANSTAAFL

JohnnyC
Silent But Deadly

Post by JohnnyC »

OldPaladin wrote:Hi JohnnyC,

I can't complain about the booster, or how I came to get one. I stand by my post, as to the superb service that I've received from Gemtech, Dr. Dater, and Joey... As far as I'm concerned, they're golden. I'm grateful for my Blackside, and all three of my HVTs...

Too bad you had a bad experience- s--t happens. That they fixed yours for free, should cut them some slack on your part. They've been up front with me, and so far as I know, with everybody else, since correcting their "oversight..."

Frankly, I'm a fan of good engineering, and the production of what really works... Were I still teaching, or in management, I'd look upon Gemtech as a firm that produces fine products, supports them, and offers them at honest prices... Otherwise, I wouldn't have purchased mine...

JohnnyC, did you ever egregiously screw-up, or make an error? Did you earnestly seek to correct what went wrong, or was unintended? I think that Gemtech might have been in that situation... As stated earlier, they've treated me well, professionally, and sought to answer my every question- however dumb they may have been...

I've bought swords and knives, as well as world class longbows. I know the value of fine weapons. I know the drive and mentality of artisans and armorers. When they're really good, you sometimes give them a bit more latitude.

I don't know the in's and out's of what may or may not have happened, in the decision to market the Blackside w/o booster. I DON'T
CARE...

What I DO care about, is their attention to detail, on my acquisitions, and how they treat their customers, especially, me...

If someone, or economic entity, screws up in their dealings with me, and/or if somebody is a casualty, by design and intent, I will destroy their career. I have done so, in the past, when it became necessary.

It does not seem to me, that what occurred with Gemtech, and its customers, was harm intended, either physically, or economically. Have they acted in a manner consistent with behavior of someone/something seeking to establish better relations with their customers?

Not having been in their situation, my opinion would be meaningless. How I have been treated, places them in the center of the X-ring...

OldPaladin, a VERY happy, multiple Gemtech suppressor owner, out...
I think it's interesting that you say I should cut them some slack because they fixed MY Blackside for free. I contend I shouldn't cut them any slack other than being appreciative they they dealt with MY situation professionally. I think if they were truly interested in rectifying the problems they have with the unboostered Blacksides, they should offer the booster upgrade free of charge to anyone who purchased one before it was an option. My experience wasn't a "s--t happens" moment, and Kel personally went out of his way to take care of ME, but Gemtech as a whole has told everyone else to go pound sand or to send them 200 bucks. They have told personal friends that they were out of luck, that, to me, speaks as many volumes as them fixing my suppressor.

I think Gemtech produces middle of the road performers, at higher cost to performance ratio, with decent customer service, primarily when it will show them in a good light. They like to sweep their bad press under the rug (fully welded core ring a bell?). My Outback 2 is an ok .22 silencer, good for its time. My Blackside is a terrible suppressor, initially worse than competing cans in the same class, and now, on the lower end of the last generation when compared to the Evo-45 and HEMS-II. It not bad with an ablative medium although it gets tiresome recharging every mag or two. I can live with it since it rarely sees use anyway. My MultiMount is the best Gemtech product I've purchased although I wish it had a stainless blast baffle like the Trident. If I hadn't gotten it for a steal I would not have purchased it. It competes with the Trident and in that regard it's not a bad silencer. I hear their dedicated subgun cans are excellent.

In the end Gemtech makes ok cans for more money than they're worth but not too expensive for most people to overcome brand loyalty. Dater knows his stuff but hasn't come up with anything revolutionary in a while. Nothing in their lineup is class-leading. Their CS is ok for the most part, but they left a bunch of people hanging over the Blackside issuse and I KNOW they've lost sales because of it because I have friends who have quit purchasing Gemtech products altogether. I got lucky, way too many people didn't. I'm glad you had a positive experience. I hope that the trend continues in the future. I think if they offered to fix peoples Blacksides for free they'd get a lot of business back. As of right now, there's nothing in their lineup that makes me want to spend money with them. All of their products are beat by competitors in both performance and cost.
OldPaladin

Post by OldPaladin »

Hi JohnnyC!

I really appreciate your rapid, and in-depth, response. I was not aware of some of the issues you raise, and for that, I thank-you.

My comment, "s--t happens," was not meant in a derogatory manner towards you. s--t does happen, and I've been the recipient thereof, many times. One of the consequences of life, or perhaps, of having lived too long... Never thought I'd live to see 22, let alone, 60... Sometimes fate, or rolling snake eyes, gives us a bad experience. Again, I'm sorry that you had one. I'm also glad that they, Gemtech, did upgrade your Blackside.

JohnnyC, I don't know how, or if, Gemtech can rectify the situation that initial Blackside buyers find/found themselves in. That the situation is bad for any company, or purchasers of such products, is without doubt. Word of mouth is one of the best forms of advertising, and the goodwill of customer towards company, and vice-versa, is/should be, the goal of any enterprise.

My HVTs, all three of them, are superb, as are their QD mounts. As to the Blackside, well, that's not going to be seeing high round counts anyway, and is designated, in my formerly military mind, as a very special purpose piece of gear. Are there better, more efficient .45acp suppressors out there? Could well be... However, price-wise, having one vendor for rifle and pistol suppressors, and the so-far superb service, I'm a happy camper, albeit, a more informed one, thanks to your information.

I do appreciate your taking the time to tell me your views and concerns. I hope that all parties interested in the Blackside/booster upgrade would read, and consider the points that you've made. Perhaps solutions could be explored, accommodations perhaps be made... That's up to Gemtech, and time will tell...

Hope you have a great week, JohnnyC. May you and yours always be well, safe, happy, and forever, free...

OldPaladin, out...

TANSTAAFL

Raptor99

Post by Raptor99 »

I just wanted to add that I bought a new 7.62HVT and it shot great on my bolt gun but the groups opened to nearly double the size when I put it on my AR10.

I called Gemtech to ask them about this and if they had any ideas. They told me to send the stripped upper and the can back to them and they would fix it for me. They said that it was probably the shoulder not cut square on the barrel of the AR10 that was causing the problem.

I asked how much they would charge to fix it for me and they said they would do it at no charge!! I explained that I didn't feel it was the silencer since it worked great on my bolt gun and that I was also sure it "Was" the threading on the AR10 causing the problem. They still said to send it in and they would correct it.

I got it back within a week after they recieved it and now it shoots great!!!! And guess what "NO CHARGE" Now that is customer service!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Gemtech!!!!
OldPaladin

Post by OldPaladin »

Raptor99,

That's a great report! I'd expect nothing less, from a firm that prides itself in being the best! I'm glad that you have had a great experience, and know that Gemtech will always seek to be the best in product and customer service.

Have a great 4th of July weekend!

OldPaladin, out...

TANSTAAFL

O'Neill Ops
Silent But Deadly

Post by O'Neill Ops »

+1 for Gem-tech customer service,
I sent in one of my HVT QD to have converted to thread on, sent it to them last tuesday (july 6th) got it back today, great products great service, thanks guys.
Respect is earned through strength, weakness invites aggression.
OldPaladin

Post by OldPaladin »

Hi O'Neill Ops!

Glad to hear the great news...

Cool system, isn't it? Love my HVTs with the QD mounts!

I wish you and yours all the best!

Take care,

OldPaladin, out...

TANSTAAFL

O'Neill Ops
Silent But Deadly

Post by O'Neill Ops »

ya, the HVT are great cans, very comparable to sound reduction of the SRT shadow XLTI IMHO, the thread on is a bit shorter compared to the QD model, it'll make my bolt gun build easier to pack, and carry during huntin season, thinkin about gettin the new trek for my 556, and possibly the sandstorm as well, i have heard good things about both.
OldPaladin

Post by OldPaladin »

Good choice! I wish you well this hunting season. I've got to see what the rules are here, in my AO... May have to go suppressorless... Anyway, you've chosen wisely using Gemtech...

May you and yours always be safe, well, happy, and forever, free...

OldPaladin, out...

TANSTAAFL

O'Neill Ops
Silent But Deadly

Post by O'Neill Ops »

OldPaladin wrote: May you and yours always be safe, well, happy, and forever, free...
OldPaladin, out...
likewise,
thanks.
Raptor99

Post by Raptor99 »

SSopreator,
What did it cost you to have your HVT converted to thread on??? Thanks!!!