Prodigy POI shift and bullet tumble on Ruger Mark II

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Islander
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Prodigy POI shift and bullet tumble on Ruger Mark II

Post by Islander »

I'm still waiting also (returned on Aug. 13). We'll see if this is the week we both get new cores. I know with the original Prodigy the core manufacturer did not meet the design spec. Maybe it's tough to get these built.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

The DB attenuation difference is huge, but at a cost. The new core is more restrictive causing some more blowback and it seems to develop more buildup when I shoot it on my pistols than the old core. It could be I shoot it more on my pistols now because it;s so much more quiet.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
Queso Grande
Silent But Deadly

Post by Queso Grande »

JohnInNH wrote:The DB attenuation difference is huge, but at a cost. The new core is more restrictive causing some more blowback and it seems to develop more buildup when I shoot it on my pistols than the old core. It could be I shoot it more on my pistols now because it;s so much more quiet.

Cool,
Sometimes your the pigeon and sometimes your the statue.
kaotic504
Silent But Deadly

Post by kaotic504 »

Islander wrote:I'm still waiting also (returned on Aug. 13). We'll see if this is the week we both get new cores. I know with the original Prodigy the core manufacturer did not meet the design spec. Maybe it's tough to get these built.
i think they're just backlogged on building suppressors. i ordered a prodigy a few months ago and was told it's probably a month out.
kilroymcb
Silent Operator

Post by kilroymcb »

STILL waiting...
Tiller1k
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Tiller1k »

Soon. I think they are ready ship in the next couple of days.
http://silent762.blogspot.com/

"When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
Queso Grande
Silent But Deadly

Post by Queso Grande »

Tiller1k wrote:Soon. I think they are ready ship in the next couple of days.
How many times have you been told this ?
kilroymcb
Silent Operator

Post by kilroymcb »

Update:
Spoke with Mr. Mers today about my silencer. They replaced the core and the threaded interface and they are going to send the can back to me. He said there was some improvement in my problem but that it still remained... and that they were working on a fix after R&D tracked down what the exact problem was. But, he said, they measured and checked the upper and the threads and the shoulder and they were all GTG and the can itself is concentric... so they were puzzled.

The can worked fine on another host and another prodigy worked fine on my gun... so something weird is going on.

I guess my next step will be to talk to Tactical solutions and see what they can tell me about this problem.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

I am confused... You have the tube and the rest, which to me, is the "core". Why didn't they just give you all new guts? That way the issue is fixed. Why spend your time screwing around with it when it appears it is their mistake.. That is the whole point of the Prodigy... The entire core is replaceable. That's why I bought it. Ease of replacement. key word.

Was anything wrong with your tube? What did you mean by the threaded interface? The blast baffle area or the threads at the muzzle end of the tube?

This confused me and made me think they replaced only a part of the core.. Hence my post. I am thinking it costs more to diddle with a core than to replace the entire thing with one off the shelf.

I don't get it. Obviously they need to figure out what's wrong. IMHO, they should have just given you a known good core and be done with it .. Get you satisfied NOW.. THEN figure out what's wrong with it on their own time. It's important they figure out what went wrong so they don't make the same mistake again. Fixing production is imperative.

I really hope they get it resolved for you.

I wonder how may others have the same problem? With automated process there is a good chance more than one slipped through. You would think every one would be the same. :?

Make sure we get a range report.
kilroymcb
Silent Operator

Post by kilroymcb »

JohnInNH wrote:I am confused... You have the tube and the rest, which to me, is the "core". Why didn't they just give you all new guts? That way the issue is fixed. Why spend your time screwing around with it when it appears it is their mistake.. That is the whole point of the Prodigy... The entire core is replaceable. That's why I bought it. Ease of replacement. key word.

Was anything wrong with your tube? What did you mean by the threaded interface? The blast baffle area or the threads at the muzzle end of the tube?

This confused me and made me think they replaced only a part of the core.. Hence my post. I am thinking it costs more to diddle with a core than to replace the entire thing with one off the shelf.

I don't get it. Obviously they need to figure out what's wrong. IMHO, they should have just given you a known good core and be done with it .. Get you satisfied NOW.. THEN figure out what's wrong with it on their own time. It's important they figure out what went wrong so they don't make the same mistake again. Fixing production is imperative.

I really hope they get it resolved for you.

I wonder how may others have the same problem? With automated process there is a good chance more than one slipped through. You would think every one would be the same. :?

Make sure we get a range report.

What I'm saying is they DID REPLACE THE CORE AND IT DIDNT FIX THE PROBLEM.

Also, they replaced the thread adaptor at the rear of the can with a new one. Didnt fix the problem.

They checked the Pac-lite upper threads and shoulder. All mic'ed good.

Long story short, they dont know what is wrong.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

Here is my "new core" Prodigy:

Does yours look like this?

I diden't understand your use of the term "Thread adapter" when talking about a Prodigy. My P-22 has a AAC fast attach "thread adapter" for use with the Prodigy but it will not fit on a Ruger

Don't you just use the Prodigy as is and have your Mark II threaded to 1/2x28? I believe you are calling the blast baffle end threads of the Prodigy an adapter. Adapter connotes a separate part and that was what I found confusing. No big deal... LOL

For some reason I thought AAC was disassembling the "core" and fixing it. Instead of giving you a total new replacement.. My mistake.

AAC Fast Attach Thread adapter for P-22:

Last edited by JohnInNH on Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kilroymcb
Silent Operator

Post by kilroymcb »

I have a Ruger mk III with a paclite.

The threaded portion at the rear of the silencer was what I was referring to.

They said they replaced the core, the threads, everything but the tube.
Queso Grande
Silent But Deadly

Post by Queso Grande »

kilroymcb wrote:I have a Ruger mk III with a paclite.

The threaded portion at the rear of the silencer was what I was referring to.

They said they replaced the core, the threads, everything but the tube.
Does it shoot well now ?
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

kilroymcb wrote:Update:
Spoke with Mr. Mers today about my silencer. They replaced the core and the threaded interface and they are going to send the can back to me. He said there was some improvement in my problem but that it still remained... and that they were working on a fix after R&D tracked down what the exact problem was. But, he said, they measured and checked the upper and the threads and the shoulder and they were all GTG and the can itself is concentric... so they were puzzled.

The can worked fine on another host and another prodigy worked fine on my gun... so something weird is going on.

I guess my next step will be to talk to Tactical solutions and see what they can tell me about this problem.
This is the part that I find troubling... Why didn't they give you the core from the silencer that DID work on your gun? (or any core that worked.) I don't see how your tube it the problem. If something was wrong with your tube they would have easily seen it.

They found "one" that worked why didn't they take that core out and give you that one. The core in a monocore really IS the silencer. So... AAC gave you a core that did NOT fix the problem after having a core that DID fix the problem? I find THAT very strange.

Something is missing here.

If Tac Sol gives you a new upper I will be surprised. If a new one does fix it and they replace it problem resolved. But if AAC said the threads are OK so I don't see why TacSol has anything to do with it. Hopefully this works out for you.

You also said: "they were working on a fix after R&D tracked down what the exact problem was. But, he said, they measured and checked the upper and the threads and the shoulder and they were all GTG and the can itself is concentric... so they were puzzled."

This makes no sense. 1) R&D tracked down the problem & they were working on a fix they go on to say "the can itself is concentric so they are baffled" So now you are saying they know whats wrong were working on a fix yet are baffled AND 2) gave you a replacement core that did not have the fix yet they had cores that did work.

Something is not adding up here .. maybe something is getting lost in the "translation" and we have a communication problem. According to your post it appears AAC is saying 2 things.. We found the problem and are working on a fix and at the same time are "puzzled" and gave you a core that did not fix it after having cores that did. Some CRAZY s--t!
1_ar_newbie
Industry Professional

Post by 1_ar_newbie »

JohnInNH wrote:

Something is not adding up here .. maybe something is getting lost in the "translation" and we have a communication problem. According to your post it appears AAC is saying 2 things.. We found the problem and are working on a fix and at the same time are "puzzled" and gave you a core that did not fix it after having cores that did.
ALL,

We do know there is a problem and have tried several fixes. Here are the facts.

1. Not every Prodigy has a problem. I mean if I take a given host not every Prodigy will group poorly on it... heck some will shoot lights out and others will not.
2. It does seem to have something to do with the P22 or Tac sol uppers. However, not every Prodigy has this problem.
3. In the above example we shot his tube with a new production (the latest batch) core and it did fine on our Ruger MKII with a factory stainless barrel we cut and threaded 1/2 x 28 TPI. then we shot it on his upper and it keyholed 1 out of every mag.
4. That is not ok and we are not happy with that so we are coming up with a fix. Trouble is, the fix is 2 months out according to R&D. What is the fix? Heck I don't know... I do not work in R&D... but those guys are smart and they will fix it.

Knowing the above I ask him if he wanted to wait on the fix? He elected for us to ship the silencer back to him with the new production core (again it was better than before but not 100%) till we have a 100% fix and when we have a fix we will gladly extend it to him.
Mike Mers
L.E. and Commercial Sales
Advanced Armament Corp.
770-925-9988 x 101 (phone)
770-925-9989 (fax)
[email protected]

Gun Gallery 4 Life!
Queso Grande
Silent But Deadly

Post by Queso Grande »

1_ar_newbie wrote:
JohnInNH wrote:

Something is not adding up here .. maybe something is getting lost in the "translation" and we have a communication problem. According to your post it appears AAC is saying 2 things.. We found the problem and are working on a fix and at the same time are "puzzled" and gave you a core that did not fix it after having cores that did.
ALL,

We do know there is a problem and have tried several fixes. Here are the facts.

1. Not every Prodigy has a problem. I mean if I take a given host not every Prodigy will group poorly on it... heck some will shoot lights out and others will not.
2. It does seem to have something to do with the P22 or Tac sol uppers. However, not every Prodigy has this problem.
3. In the above example we shot his tube with a new production (the latest batch) core and it did fine on our Ruger MKII with a factory stainless barrel we cut and threaded 1/2 x 28 TPI. then we shot it on his upper and it keyholed 1 out of every mag.
4. That is not ok and we are not happy with that so we are coming up with a fix. Trouble is, the fix is 2 months out according to R&D. What is the fix? Heck I don't know... I do not work in R&D... but those guys are smart and they will fix it.

Knowing the above I ask him if he wanted to wait on the fix? He elected for us to ship the silencer back to him with the new production core (again it was better than before but not 100%) till we have a 100% fix and when we have a fix we will gladly extend it to him.

I have/had ( I have not shot it yet) an issue with the prodigy ( Pac-light upper 4.5 in MkIII ) and the same courtesy was extended to me and I elected the same. Shoot it for a few weeks and see how it goes.

It looks like Mike is being very consistence in finding a solution to this very minor issue. Thanks Mike.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

Mike,

Finally the mud is cleared form the water.

Thanks for clearing this up.. It is hard to get clarity with the "telephone" game.

Like the whole threaded adapter confusion. I had no clue what he was talking about. This is a prime example of some of the communication problems the internet can cause.

Mike ... PLEASE let us know what R&D come up with as to what the problem is, and when a fix is available.

THANKS...

John
kilroymcb
Silent Operator

Post by kilroymcb »

Likewise... I hate discussing technical issues on the internet when 2 minutes of RL conversation could clear things up.

ANYWAY. I wasnt complaining about AAC.

I think they've taken the right approach to solving this problem and I look forward to getting back my can.

However, I will be looking for the "big fix" 2 months down the road.
Queso Grande
Silent But Deadly

Post by Queso Grande »

kilroymcb wrote:Likewise... I hate discussing technical issues on the internet when 2 minutes of RL conversation could clear things up.

I think they've taken the right approach to solving this problem and I look forward to getting back my can.

Like wise.
kilroymcb
Silent Operator

Post by kilroymcb »

Queso Grande wrote:
kilroymcb wrote:Likewise... I hate discussing technical issues on the internet when 2 minutes of RL conversation could clear things up.

Like wise.
Were you correcting my grammer or agreeing with me? :wink:
Queso Grande
Silent But Deadly

Post by Queso Grande »

kilroymcb wrote:
Queso Grande wrote:

Like wise.
Were you correcting my grammer or agreeing with me? :wink:
Agreeing with you.

I could not tell you witch. Likewise or like wise is correct. If I had a better work ethnic, I would no better.
1_ar_newbie
Industry Professional

Post by 1_ar_newbie »

Queso Grande wrote:

Agreeing with you.

I could not tell you witch. Likewise or like wise is correct. If I had a better work ethnic, I would no better.

That is just funny! OK, maybe only funny to me but still!
Mike Mers
L.E. and Commercial Sales
Advanced Armament Corp.
770-925-9988 x 101 (phone)
770-925-9989 (fax)
[email protected]

Gun Gallery 4 Life!
Queso Grande
Silent But Deadly

Post by Queso Grande »

1_ar_newbie wrote:
Queso Grande wrote:

Agreeing with you.

That is just funny! OK, maybe only funny to me but still!

What!!! :lol:
Tiller1k
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Tiller1k »

Got mine back.... :evil:
http://silent762.blogspot.com/

"When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
TOOL1075
Silent But Deadly

Post by TOOL1075 »

so... the threading of the paclite is not quite concentric, which is allowing turbulence induced by the baffle design to destabilize the bullet?

or are there evil elves living inside the prodigy?
https://pewscience.com
PEW Science
Professionally Engineered Weaponeering