Prodigy POI shift and bullet tumble on Ruger Mark II

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Queso Grande
Silent But Deadly

Re: Prodigy POI shift and bullet tumble on Ruger Mark II

Post by Queso Grande »

TOOL1075 wrote:so... the threading of the paclite is not quite concentric, which is allowing turbulence induced by the baffle design to destabilize the bullet?

or are there evil elves living inside the prodigy?
Who said that?
Sometimes your the pigeon and sometimes your the statue.
TOOL1075
Silent But Deadly

Post by TOOL1075 »

Queso Grande wrote:
TOOL1075 wrote:so... the threading of the paclite is not quite concentric, which is allowing turbulence induced by the baffle design to destabilize the bullet?

Who said that?
me. I am asking those questions. if AAC's R&D department said there is a fix, and gave a timeline for completion of that fix, that means they know what the problem is. I'm speculating as to what the problem is, since the AAC employee who responded says he doesn't know what the problem is (which I find bizarre).

I don't even own any of these items in question, I'm just curious as to what is happening, and I can't think of many reasons other than what I just asked, in the face of what has been troubleshot so far.
https://pewscience.com
PEW Science
Professionally Engineered Weaponeering
Mageever
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mageever »

TOOL1075 wrote:
Queso Grande wrote:

Who said that?
me. I am asking those questions. if AAC's R&D department said there is a fix, and gave a timeline for completion of that fix, that means they know what the problem is. I'm speculating as to what the problem is, since the AAC employee who responded says he doesn't know what the problem is (which I find bizarre).

I don't even own any of these items in question, I'm just curious as to what is happening, and I can't think of many reasons other than what I just asked, in the face of what has been troubleshot so far.
They never said they had a fix--they're just working on it. Also, it's not a threading issue. That's been established, although any deviation from perfect always has some effect and the Prodigy is probably sensitive to this.
TOOL1075
Silent But Deadly

Post by TOOL1075 »

They never said they had a fix--they're just working on it. Also, it's not a threading issue. That's been established, although any deviation from perfect always has some effect and the Prodigy is probably sensitive to this.
well, I assumed because they gave a rough timeline, they had a fix in mind. If they have no idea what the problem is or if they don't know how to fix it, they wouldn't have given a timeline (or maybe they would- which would be an asshole thing to do though... unless they know exactly how long it will take them to come up with an idea :lol: )

as far as being sensitive to concentricity isuues - yes, that's why I stated that theory. If it's not a threading issue.... then what is it? Something is destabilizing the projectile, right? If it's not the rate of twist, or the crown, or the velocity, then it's the baffle design in this case. Or elves, like I said. Am I missing something obvious here? Isn't the bullet just getting bantered about, ever so slightly, by a gas path that has gone rogue (or a pressure zone that is being a bitch)?

$5 says if you drill out a baffle or two by a tiny bit, you'll be good to go....

The thing can't be perfectly concentric.... if it was.... why would this be happening? Something is happening to make it "off" just a little bit. The barrel is a sleeve, right? Steel inside aluminum? And the aluminum is threaded? Maybe there's some slight misalignment between the two.

Now this is bothering me. I want to know what's wrong.... teeeeeell meeeeeeeeeeeeeee :lol:
PEW Science
Mageever
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mageever »

TOOL1075 wrote:
well, I assumed because they gave a rough timeline, they had a fix in mind. If they have no idea what the problem is or if they don't know how to fix it, they wouldn't have given a timeline (or maybe they would- which would be an asshole thing to do though... unless they know exactly how long it will take them to come up with an idea :lol: )

as far as being sensitive to concentricity isuues - yes, that's why I stated that theory. If it's not a threading issue.... then what is it? Something is destabilizing the projectile, right? If it's not the rate of twist, or the crown, or the velocity, then it's the baffle design in this case. Or elves, like I said. Am I missing something obvious here? Isn't the bullet just getting bantered about, ever so slightly, by a gas path that has gone rogue (or a pressure zone that is being a bitch)?

$5 says if you drill out a baffle or two by a tiny bit, you'll be good to go....

The thing can't be perfectly concentric.... if it was.... why would this be happening? Something is happening to make it "off" just a little bit. The barrel is a sleeve, right? Steel inside aluminum? And the aluminum is threaded? Maybe there's some slight misalignment between the two.

Now this is bothering me. I want to know what's wrong.... teeeeeell meeeeeeeeeeeeeee :lol:
Yeah, they're doing some serious root cause analysis right now and it can only be two things: manufacturing variation or design (or both). Since it doesn't happen on all of them, then it's not just the design but probably a combination of the two. This is what struck me as funny--stating that they have a timeline, but not a root cause. Normally you have to have the cause before you can know how to fix it and how long it will take. Unless you're dealing with elves, which is actually my vote.
Queso Grande
Silent But Deadly

Post by Queso Grande »

Mageever wrote:
TOOL1075 wrote:

Yeah, they're doing some serious root cause analysis right now and it can only be two things: manufacturing variation or design (or both). Since it doesn't happen on all of them, then it's not just the design but probably a combination of the two. This is what struck me as funny--stating that they have a timeline, but not a root cause. Normally you have to have the cause before you can know how to fix it and how long it will take. Unless you're dealing with elves, which is actually my vote.

Whats interesting is that if it not happening to all of them a root cause analysis even needs to be done for the individual. Just change it out with one of the core that does not have an issue.

The change out should take one day maybe, if the new core is tested.
Queso Grande
Silent But Deadly

Post by Queso Grande »

Mageever wrote:
TOOL1075 wrote:

Whats your affiliation?
Mageever
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mageever »

Queso Grande wrote: Whats your affiliation?
I'm a manufacturing engineer in the medical device industry. I've also done contract work for Silencerco--both on the design side and the manufacturing side. That's been mentioned before, so it's no secret. You could say I'm affiliated with the Companies Should Build Quality s--t Party.

My remarks above come from my experience in building Form 1 stuff that tumbled bullets on similar hosts and from working in medical device manufacturing. The FDA would lock your doors if you told them a timeline for fixing a problem without having done the root cause analysis first. It's simply a best practice and I feel like I'm throwing them a bone here. Beyond that you're left with 100% product verification which I think is what you mentioned above--and that's costly. Eventually you may stumble across the problem with this method. AAC has some really smart guys working in R&D and the question is are they using the best methods to figure this out and that's something internal that they just won't talk about.
Queso Grande
Silent But Deadly

Post by Queso Grande »

Mageever wrote:
I'm a manufacturing engineer in the medical device industry. I've also done contract work for Silencerco--both on the design side and the manufacturing side. That's been mentioned before, so it's no secret. You could say I'm affiliated with the Companies Should Build Quality s--t Party.

My remarks above come from my experience in building Form 1 stuff that tumbled bullets on similar hosts and from working in medical device manufacturing. The FDA would lock your doors if you told them a timeline for fixing a problem without having done the root cause analysis first. It's simply a best practice and I feel like I'm throwing them a bone here. Beyond that you're left with 100% product verification which I think is what you mentioned above--and that's costly. Eventually you may stumble across the problem with this method. AAC has some really smart guys working in R&D and the question is are they using the best methods to figure this out and that's something internal that they just won't talk about.

Internal that they just won't talk about, sounds about right,

Has anyone tested the new core yet?
Queso Grande
Silent But Deadly

Post by Queso Grande »

Mageever wrote:

So do you thinking this is an investment casting issue.
Mageever
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mageever »

Queso Grande wrote:
Definitely not- since it's not cast. It's a beautifully machined piece of metal.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the baffle stack is aggressive enough that it's right on the edge of destabilizing the bullet out of pistol barrels where the gasses get in front of the bullet. It's then compounded by any bit of manufacturing variation and alignment variation on the host (there's always this to some degree, btw). The interrupted threads on the one I've used left me wondering how well they really aligned. Hey Jason, if I'm right then I expect a T-shirt from AAC. I'll wear it proudly. :D
Queso Grande
Silent But Deadly

Post by Queso Grande »

Mageever wrote:
Queso Grande wrote:
Definitely not- since it's not cast. It's a beautifully machined piece of metal.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the baffle stack is aggressive enough that it's right on the edge of destabilizing the bullet out of pistol barrels where the gasses get in front of the bullet. It's then compounded by any bit of manufacturing variation and alignment variation on the host (there's always this to some degree, btw). The interrupted threads on the one I've used left me wondering how well they really aligned. Hey Jason, if I'm right then I expect a T-shirt from AAC. I'll wear it proudly. :D

Check out Investment Casting and let me know what you think.
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

Mageever wrote:
Queso Grande wrote:

Ha ha. yeah, no casting on the PRODIGY.

I am speaking out of my lane, but it is a very random/rare issue that occurs with SOME sleeved barrels- Islander's tacsol for example. VERY strange issue as a keyhole with his can on his gun... same can moved to a threaded original ruger barrel is fine and another MODEL can on the tacsol is fine. Also similar results on some P22s. In all cases, cans work perfectly as expected when moved to non-sleeved barrels as well as some other models of the same sleeved barrel. Very strange, I know it doesn't make sense, but I've seen it. It is not a thread-alignment issue

But, we do have a fix, I think Islander may be the test case. More from people that know more as it develops.
Kick Ass Design
Queso Grande
Silent But Deadly

Post by Queso Grande »

JasonAAC wrote:
Mageever wrote:
Queso Grande wrote:

Ha ha. yeah, no casting on the PRODIGY.

I am speaking out of my lane, but it is a very random/rare issue that occurs with SOME sleeved barrels- Islander's tacsol for example. VERY strange issue as a keyhole with his can on his gun... same can moved to a threaded original ruger barrel is fine and another MODEL can on the tacsol is fine. Also similar results on some P22s. In all cases, cans work perfectly as expected when moved to non-sleeved barrels as well as some other models of the same sleeved barrel. Very strange, I know it doesn't make sense, but I've seen it. It is not a thread-alignment issue

But, we do have a fix, I think Islander may be the test case. More from people that know more as it develops.

Very good info, are you saying that the PRODIGY is all machined ? Can you give some insight to the manufacturing process?
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

Queso Grande wrote:Check out Investment Casting and let me know what you think.
All machined from a bar, sorry. here's a prodigy core fresh off the lathe, heading to be finished- cnc internal:

Kick Ass Design
Queso Grande
Silent But Deadly

Post by Queso Grande »

JasonAAC wrote:
All machined from a bar, sorry. here's a prodigy core fresh off the lathe, heading to be finished- cnc internal:

Very nice,

With the sound reduction issues in the past and now this tumbling issue, do you see the Prodigy being discontinued?
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

Queso Grande wrote:Very nice,

With the sound reduction issues in the past and now this tumbling issue, do you see the Prodigy being discontinued?
I don't. There are advantages to a monocore and frankly it is an overall great performer. Problems do come up with hosts, but overall it's still a great can, especially in terms of overall sound, weight, and ease of maintenance.
Kick Ass Design
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

The prodigy has excellent #'s on both a short pistol and a long rifle barrel. It is LIGHT.

I would like to know what material the very first internal baffle is made out of. is it a steel insert in/for the blast baffle chamber?

I want to know so I can take the proper measures when trying to clean the lead buildup out. If steel it will be easier.. If al much care needs to be taken. It's LOADED with lead.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
TOOL1075
Silent But Deadly

Post by TOOL1075 »

I knew it had something to do with the sleeved barrel.
PEW Science
1_ar_newbie
Industry Professional

Post by 1_ar_newbie »

JohnInNH wrote:The prodigy has excellent #'s on both a short pistol and a long rifle barrel. It is LIGHT.

I would like to know what material the very first internal baffle is made out of. is it a steel insert in/for the blast baffle chamber?

I want to know so I can take the proper measures when trying to clean the lead buildup out. If steel it will be easier.. If al much care needs to be taken. It's LOADED with lead.

First baffle is AL. Just like the rest of the baffle stack
Mike Mers
L.E. and Commercial Sales
Advanced Armament Corp.
770-925-9988 x 101 (phone)
770-925-9989 (fax)
[email protected]

Gun Gallery 4 Life!
1_ar_newbie
Industry Professional

Post by 1_ar_newbie »

double tap
Last edited by 1_ar_newbie on Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Mers
Advanced Armament Corp.
770-925-9989 (fax)
[email protected]

Gun Gallery 4 Life!
1_ar_newbie
Industry Professional

Post by 1_ar_newbie »

Queso Grande wrote:

Very nice,

No way, The Prodigy is a solid performer both in sound reduction and sales numbers.

This is a problem is less than 3% of Prodigy silencers....NOT like the sound issues in the past.
Mike Mers
Advanced Armament Corp.
770-925-9989 (fax)
[email protected]

Gun Gallery 4 Life!
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

1_ar_newbie wrote:
JohnInNH wrote:The prodigy has excellent #'s on both a short pistol and a long rifle barrel. It is LIGHT.

First baffle is AL. Just like the rest of the baffle stack
Mike,

I thought maybe the chamber.. (Where the threads are) was a pressed in steel insert and that the first baffle (not the first slant baffle) was steel. On closer inspection I see that the steel does not go all the way in.

The manual I got with my OLD core says it is NOT full auto rated, but now the new Prodigies are full auto rated per your web site..

What changed in the core that lets it be full auto rated if the 1st baffle is still AL? Did you use a different grade of AL in the new core?

The biggest *visual* change is the reduction of the blast chamber, the removal of the ripples, and the bore going form .280 to .250.

Thanks for your time.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
Islander
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Islander »

JohnInNH wrote:Any news yet.... Is no news good news or bad news? Islander should have gotten it back by now ... I am surprised no report. Either he is having so much fun he forgot about posting or he is not happy and is waiting to resolve it. Hummmmmm

I will be shooting my Prodigy with Trey-phish Friday weather permitting :D
Hi Folks,

Still here. :mrgreen:

The folks at AAC are working on a fix. Looking forward to trying it out. In the mean time, I'm playing with other toys.

Best to all,
I

LWRC M6A2S (stretch)
I know my pool is a mess. The wind blew down a bunch of pine needles, but at least the water is still blue.
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

at least you have a smile on your face
"I notice that everybody that is pro-abortion already has been born."
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq-XG3tn7s0