Supressor Baffle Pics!

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Supressor Baffle Pics!

Post by Bendersquint »

emil wrote:Guys I Found this photo on the internet, but i can't find any info about this Coastal suppressor.

Do you know:
- if it is the rifle or pistol suppressor
- what it's his lenght, diameter and sound reduction
If I recall correctly it is a 22lr suppressor and works for a pistol or rifle.

My guess is about 6 inches long and 1 inch OD, and not great sound reduction. Most manufacturers out there will SMOKE this can. I have shot a new coastal can in 22lr and the YHM Mite was quieter.

-B
keithinvestigations
Silent Operator

Post by keithinvestigations »

Re Coastal Gun .22 suppressor, I like mine well. No complaints here.
Davy Keith
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Was emailed an xra of the M42000 Mod 08 today along with a mess of others, so going to try and get permission to release them and put them online.

Will let you know if I get the go ahead.

-B
AAA
Industry Professional

Post by AAA »

Nice pics.
I don't think the receiver is a Ruger one. The Ruger Standard and the Ruger MkI didn't have the relief cuts near the cocking handle. This wasn't added until the Ruger MkII which they didn't start making till 1980.
That been said the way they cut the ejection port is very Ruger and I doubt someone copying the receiver would have done it that way rather than just cutting it with an end mill like on the MKIII. I've seen reproduction Ruger receivers before overseas and they all had the ejection port cut like the newer MKIII's.
Lower definitely looks like a Ruger and is off a Ruger Standard.

If it's possible for you to look at it again, does the rivet hold the ejector look like it was done using an orbital riveter or is it welded?
Bendersquint wrote:CIA Integral Ruger MK1 pistol. Manufactured for them in 1950.

Not a single marking on the entire pistol. Not even the standard Ruger markings all over the receiver. No serial either.

Overview of the pistol.

Business end of the pistol.

Once we broke the end cap loose(hasn't been opened in at least 25 years).

Layout of the extremely basic washer and spacers. Stainless steel and crudely machined(sharp edges and alot of tool marks).

Overview of the pistol disassembled.

The pistol was pulled from service because it was so loud, all the others were re-cored and are now notably quieter. This was the only one that was not re-cored. Even though it hasn't been shot in years it sounded decent but nothing compared to the thread-on or integrals we have now.

Nice piece of history to get to play with. Now if I could only acquire this for my collection.

-B
Tornado Technologies
Mailing Address:
22115 NW Imbrie Drive #181
Hillsboro OR 97124
PH: (503)690-8000
Web: www.tornado-technologies.com
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

AAA,

I have asked to get another opportunity to check her out and take some better pictures will see if I get approved or not.

I can personally vouch for where I saw it and say that it is real and is in inventory, not an import or a copy. I have seen pictures of this very one that dated in the early 60's.

Per the armorer.....
The records for the pistol(it was part of an R&D program) show that it was received from Ruger in August of 1950(along with several others), the relief cuts were done in house, as well as the adjustable trigger. Original hammer was swapped out after the first training cycle as it was unreliable, it was made of plastic to "reduce noise"(just a neat fact). He says the relief cuts were made based on drawings on a napkin for some improvements from a brainstorming session with Bill Ruger. Team said it was not reliable to charge in that form and originally they wanted to extend the gripping surface on the bolt but the test bolt interfered with clothing so they opted to go with relief cuts. He should know as he was trained by members of that team in the late 60's. As you can see from the picture the geometries of the cuts don't match the MK2, not the smooth slope as in production Rugers. Every one of the Rugers I saw where from this era(this was the only one with the original internals) and all had the same relief cuts in it. Didn't think to take pictures of the other Rugers as they weren't as interesting to me.

I asked about the ejector and he said the next time he takes it apart he will let me know. He told me he never gave it a thought since it never gave anyone any problems.

Will post it here if i find out about the ejector.

-B
AAA
Industry Professional

Post by AAA »

Bendersquint,

Again, thanks for posting. I haven't been around this forum lately - so what other neat pics did you post that I missed?
Tornado Technologies
Mailing Address:
22115 NW Imbrie Drive #181
Hillsboro OR 97124
PH: (503)690-8000
Web: www.tornado-technologies.com
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

AAA wrote:Bendersquint,

Again, thanks for posting. I haven't been around this forum lately - so what other neat pics did you post that I missed?
Lots of pages of baffle pics. been on a picture posting hiatus recently, gotta get back on the wagon.

-B
iron.maiden
Silent But Deadly

Post by iron.maiden »

Old fashion ....
iron.maiden
Silent But Deadly

Post by iron.maiden »

and a striped swedish
Schlafftablett
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Schlafftablett »

Bendersquint, If you do get the oppertunity to check it out again is there a way you could take a caliper and get some dims off of it? I think that would be cool to replicate 100%.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Schlafftablett wrote:Bendersquint, If you do get the oppertunity to check it out again is there a way you could take a caliper and get some dims off of it? I think that would be cool to replicate 100%.
PM me with everything you are looking for.

I will see what i can do.

-B
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Never ceases to surprise me. I just found a collection of baffle pics on the web and found a TON of the pics I have posted here. Guess the real kicker is that its on a Russian website with phrases along the lines of(pardon me my Russian is a little rusty), What Americans kill Iraqi's with, and Americans over think everything, Russian silencers on AK make no noise and they use plates, stupid Americans.

Wow.

Got some interesting stuff to post in the next little while though, so it ain't all that bad

-B
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

Bendersquint wrote:Russian silencers on AK make no noise and they use plates, stupid Americans.

-B
Apparently Russians have snotty 12 year olds too :)
Schlafftablett
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Schlafftablett »

Well Bender you have to consider the fact that most of them have probably never heard what a really good can actually sounds like and they are basing their judgment on the level of complication of ours vs. theirs alone. (well that and youtube video) Besides, I have seen some pics of German cans and GOOD LORD! You want to talk complicated?

My best friend and I have established a few maxims concerning engineering philosophies.

The US will always throw more money, years of testing, and 6 contractors at any project just so she'll work really, really, really well even if 2 reallys are still better than everyone else.

The Russians, well, when in doubt, add more steel. Hell, add more anyway just to be safe.

The Germans will always try to squeeze a few more otherwise useless equally opposed sprung mechanisms in there just to prove they can.
iron.maiden
Silent But Deadly

Post by iron.maiden »

i'v studied russian cans for a while , and i think i know of what website Bender is talking about , i noticed one thing , thay do not use asymmetric baffles and frusto cone baffle is the most common baffle , i posted lots of them in the past but this is latest design and a new mount without threads . here youtube link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF8oFaF6 ... er&list=UL

winsor
Silent But Deadly

Post by winsor »

Colourful baffles of .45 B&T .

░░ in search ☼f the silence ░░ ִ ִ ִ ִ ִ ִ ִ ִ ִ n☼ hunting , n☼ killing , just plinking ☼ ☼☼
dardani
Silent But Deadly

Post by dardani »

Bendersquint wrote:Was emailed an xra of the M42000 Mod 08 today along with a mess of others, so going to try and get permission to release them and put them online.

Will let you know if I get the go ahead.

-B
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
�The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious.�
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

I am unable to post the xray that I received. I do apologize for mentioning them and people getting their feelings hurt about my non-willingness to email them to everyone because "they can be trusted".

I trust certain people here(you know who you are) however they can't be sent out to anyone, it would only be hypocritical. Now if you were local thats another story but can't send the files out.

I appreciate the contact but please stop emailing and begging and subsequently cursing at me for not posting pics or not posting new pics. Thats definitely not a way to keep me motivated to get new pics out there, that will only cause them to be kept internally.

Please don't let a few ruin this for all.

-B
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Had another opportunity to play with the OSS pistols as mentioned in above postings. They found a couple more for us to work on.

While I didn't get to play with the one in the picture we tore another one apart and found some interesting things inside.

The pistols looked identical, this one however the tube itself came off the receiver, there was a brass tube around the ported barrel and was stuffed with a weaved roll of copper wire. It is what we belive to be soldered on and won't come off, it will get assaulted with the lathe soon enough. The interesting part about this one is the fact that there is no way to get the copper roll out without cutting off the brass tubing.

Inside this barrel is 4 sets(at 12,3,6,9 o'clock) of ports counting 12-13 in each row.

Will measure the barrel soon and hopefully get some pics up quickly too!

AAA - I will check and see if its riveted or welded or what not for you and post back soon.

-B
CThomas
Silent But Deadly

Post by CThomas »

Bendersquint wrote:I am unable to post the xray that I received. I do apologize for mentioning them and people getting their feelings hurt about my non-willingness to email them to everyone because "they can be trusted".

I trust certain people here(you know who you are) however they can't be sent out to anyone, it would only be hypocritical. Now if you were local thats another story but can't send the files out.

I appreciate the contact but please stop emailing and begging and subsequently cursing at me for not posting pics or not posting new pics. Thats definitely not a way to keep me motivated to get new pics out there, that will only cause them to be kept internally.

Please don't let a few ruin this for all.B

B- Damn sorry to hear people are pissing down your back like this, not cool at all!
I and many others appreciate the info you have shared here and on the other site and hope you will continue to do so.

To the dips, why bash the guy that has shared so much, his info is always solid and can be counted on. Remember there are very few memebers here that can provide the insight that B can, so don't blow it for the rest of us :evil:
Thanks B
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

CThomas wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:I am unable to post the xray that I received. I do apologize for mentioning them and people getting their feelings hurt about my non-willingness to email them to everyone because "they can be trusted".

Please don't let a few ruin this for all.B

B- Damn sorry to hear people are pissing down your back like this, not cool at all!
I and many others appreciate the info you have shared here and on the other site and hope you will continue to do so.

To the dips, why bash the guy that has shared so much, his info is always solid and can be counted on. Remember there are very few memebers here that can provide the insight that B can, so don't blow it for the rest of us :evil:
Thanks B
^ This. I totally agree.
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
wolf
Silent But Deadly

Post by wolf »

I am happy with what i get to see :wink: , and have understanding for what i can not see 8)

I dont bite the hand that is feeding me :wink:
rcrdps
Senior Silent Operator

Post by rcrdps »

Bump,...... next best thing to a sticky,..
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

rcrdps wrote:Bump,...... next best thing to a sticky,..
I think what I may do is move all these out of the forum and put them on my website(will be up soon I hope). That way it will remove alot of the chatter and we can get more contributions. Everything will be indexed without having to deal with posts and organizing it that way. Just big galleries of baffles arranged by company. I have close to 500 pics so far or baffles so there should some that you all haven't seen yet.

Thoughts?

-B
rcrdps
Senior Silent Operator

Post by rcrdps »

Sounds good. Then I'll just come and bump the thread that has your link. :D