Anyone own a Strayer-Voight Infinity ?

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

bjb550
Silent Operator

Anyone own a Strayer-Voight Infinity ?

Post by bjb550 »

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these 1911 pistols? They are crazy expensive but supposidly top of the line and can be customized to your preferences, and they look kool as hell. I've read that over seas in Dubai and other places in the region the Arab Sheiks get them for there bodyguards, custom gold plated of course. I guess if you can spend upwards of $4,000 on a pistol why not gold plate it too.
Hitman
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Anyone own a Strayer-Voight Infinity ?

Post by Hitman »

What you want to know?

Are they worth the money?
Thats up to you.

I like STI better, but thats me.
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

They are predominantely used in IPSC/USPSA matches. The 2011 pistol is THE gun for Limited or Open class, but there are others as well. SVI and STI are the 2 biggest manufacturers of the 2011 pistol. Modular plastic grip frames, doublestack mags, most of the rest is 1911. Magazines typically need to be tuned. One of the posters here has a 2011 in 9mm set up with a muzzle can, I think it is chrismartin.

ETA: If you are asking about their traditional 1911 pistols, they should be very good, as good as any other custom build.
The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground.
Thomas Jefferson

USPSA FY60903...B-class SS, B-class L10, B-class Prod.
IDPA A30195...Expert CDP, Master SSP
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

Ben B. wrote:They are predominantely used in IPSC/USPSA matches. The 2011 pistol is THE gun for Limited or Open class, but there are others as well. SVI and STI are the 2 biggest manufacturers of the 2011 pistol. Modular plastic grip frames, doublestack mags, most of the rest is 1911. Magazines typically need to be tuned. One of the posters here has a 2011 in 9mm set up with a muzzle can, I think it is chrismartin.

ETA: If you are asking about their traditional 1911 pistols, they should be very good, as good as any other custom build.
Yes, that would be me:

The SVI/STI 2011's are nice guns. The grip isn't as thick as I thought it would be. My 9mm holds 20 rounds with the standard magazine (140mm) The problem with them is that they need to be nice and clean for reliability. The SVI version is a great custom gun if you are looking for the 2011. They will build it to your exact specifications and you will pay for that.
JohnnyC
Silent But Deadly

Post by JohnnyC »

I was seriously looking into their little "self defense" compact. I just couldn't bring myself to throw $4000 at it. I'd still like to do a double stack 9mm compact 1911 but I just can't believe you get a gun like you would from Ted Yost or Dave Erickson for the same money. Maybe if I win the lottery.
USMC0351
Silent But Deadly

Post by USMC0351 »

Virgil Tripp (the original "T" in STI) will build you a 1911 however you want it done. I have a couple he has done for me, a Colt Lightweight Commander .38 Super and a Kimber Polymer.

killerone

Post by killerone »

Infinity's are nice and expensive. I build a few a year and they are awsome.
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

That's a beautiful machine. 8)
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
SgtDave

Post by SgtDave »

I have a few. There is no finer made handgun anywhere on this earth. STI produces a well made pistol but you can go to any dealer and pick one up ready to go where the SVI pistols are not produced until you place an order. You even pick out your serial number that you want. They are expensive but you only have to buy them once. The interchangeable breach face system make them easily converted to any caliber you like. I know a fellow USPSA shooter that has over 160,000 rounds through his .40 cal limited gun and it's still chugging away. Another buddy with the Texas Rangers now carries one on duty that I helped him order.
boulderchild
Silent But Deadly

Post by boulderchild »

SgtDave wrote:I have a few. There is no finer made handgun anywhere on this earth. STI produces a well made pistol but you can go to any dealer and pick one up ready to go where the SVI pistols are not produced until you place an order. You even pick out your serial number that you want. They are expensive but you only have to buy them once. The interchangeable breach face system make them easily converted to any caliber you like. I know a fellow USPSA shooter that has over 160,000 rounds through his .40 cal limited gun and it's still chugging away. Another buddy with the Texas Rangers now carries one on duty that I helped him order.

That's a nice collection.
hoser
Silent But Deadly

Post by hoser »

I have bunch of 2011s. Several SVIs and several STIs. I also have a few STI single stack frames in the safe.

In fact my normal carry gun is an STI alloy frame and an SVI Commander length alloy slide in 38 Super. I also used the SV compact grip that takes 113mm mags.

Great little gun to carry. It weighs the same loaded as an officers model does empty.

STI and SVI is just a Ford vs Chevy thing.