CLEO Database?

2nd Amendment and Freedom

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

RangerX

CLEO Database?

Post by RangerX »

Greetings and thanks to those responsible for providing this resource.

I am in the beginning stages of research into acquiring a suppressor for my AR. I've been researching the process, and about the only grey area seems to be in finding a CLEO that is....friendly.

Is there a resource here, or elsewhere on the interwebs that lists CLEOs and their stance on Class III? My google fu has been weak in this area......
RangerX

My Peace Sign has Mil-dots

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun - Dalai Lama
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Re: CLEO Database?

Post by yamatitan »

If you tells us where you live im sure someone will be able to tell you if their someone who will sign or not.
RavenArmament
Silent But Deadly

Post by RavenArmament »

I started working on a database and the tin foil hat crowd ruined it, so I scrapped it.
Manufacturer of the best subsonic 9mm ammunition.
RangerX

Post by RangerX »

yamatitan wrote:If you tells us where you live im sure someone will be able to tell you if their someone who will sign or not.
I live in the 'burbs of the ATL. It's Fulton County.
RangerX

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun - Dalai Lama
Ctaylor
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ctaylor »

Where exactly by chance? I'm in sandy springs and haven't run into any of the ST crowd around here.
RangerX

Post by RangerX »

Ctaylor wrote:Where exactly by chance? I'm in sandy springs and haven't run into any of the ST crowd around here.
Roswell actually. I was researching one of the pieces I'm interested in and this was the first place I found aside from the manufacturer's website on Google. In fact EVERY suppressor I've researched so far, this site has been the second hit. So I figured if I am going to get an answer anywhere.....

As for the ST crowd...are there t-shirts or something?

Actually, is there a suppressor friendly range in the area? I shoot at River Bend, but they frown on suppressors, giggle switches...etc.
RangerX

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ctaylor
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ctaylor »

Well there's a new range opening up here in Sandy Springs on August 5th, looks like it will be a nice facility. I have no idea if they're suppressor/fun switch friendly though. It's amazing how many ranges aren't suppressor friendly, especially since suppressors make the range safer (quieter). I can see not allowing FA guns because maybe their backstop wouldn't be able to handle it.

Edit: link to their website http://sandyspringsshootingrange.com/
RangerX

Post by RangerX »

More necro posting - Riverbend has relaxed quite a bit. Suppressors are commonplace, and giggle switch in pistol calibers. Supposedly Cherokee and Cobb CLEOs are both suppressor friendly.
RangerX

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Fulliautomatix
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulliautomatix »

I was under the impression that you had to go to the CLEO of your county of residence. Is that not the case? Either way, I have read that Fulton county is not nice to work with regarding firearms. (GWCL, specifically).

Have you checked in at http://www.Georgiapacking.org ? There is a lot of good info there for GA residents.
Speak softly, and carry a big stick.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Fulliautomatix wrote:I was under the impression that you had to go to the CLEO of your county of residence. Is that not the case? Either way, I have read that Fulton county is not nice to work with regarding firearms. (GWCL, specifically).

Have you checked in at http://www.Georgiapacking.org ? There is a lot of good info there for GA residents.
Yes, you have to get a CLEO signoff of the county of residence.
Fulliautomatix
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulliautomatix »

Ok, here are several threads discussing Fulton and NFA devices. There's a long history of "no-go" there.

http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/sho ... p?t=263835
http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/sho ... p?t=227095
http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/sho ... p?t=173974

Edit: I did find a thread where someone had called the SO, and Sandy Springs PD and they both claimed to be willing to sign off on NFA. Granted, that was 2013.
http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/sho ... tcount=107
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

Welcome to ST.

IIRC, there are other options besides the Sheriff when it comes to getting a sign off.
July 5th, 2016. The day that we moved from a soft tyranny to a hard tyranny.
Fulliautomatix
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulliautomatix »

Yep, there are. A local SOT put together a list:
Who is this CLEO anyway?
The Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO) who signs the Form 4 can be any of the following people:
Sheriff
Chief of Police
Head of State Police Agency
District Attorney
A judge with the power of arrest
Any other law enforcement officer approved for this procedure by the National Firearms Act branch of the BATFE.
However, some have found that their local folks will defer the task to the SO, citing that they (SO) are better informed and aware of NFA issues. :roll:
RangerX

Post by RangerX »

To clarify, I moved out of the Peoples Republic of Fulton County. Live in the boonies now. Based on the return times I have been seeing, Trust is about the best way to go.
RangerX

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

usmcvet0331

Post by usmcvet0331 »

Bendersquint wrote:
Fulliautomatix wrote:I was under the impression that you had to go to the CLEO of your county of residence. Is that not the case? Either way, I have read that Fulton county is not nice to work with regarding firearms. (GWCL, specifically).

Yes, you have to get a CLEO signoff of the county of residence.
What if a CLEO had state wide jurisdiction like we do here in Vermont? Could the Chief sign for folks in neighboring towns? I ask because my LGS said this is the case after a call to ATF. But as we know you can get three different answers from three different people from the same organization.
sickasssig
Silent Operator

Post by sickasssig »

Louisiana state troopers office just started a must sign program only requirements are u have to have concealed carry permit and a non violent no felonies record pretty freaking sweet
:evil: hey watch this