Contacted by Japanese Television about my videos

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Mongo
Silent But Deadly

Contacted by Japanese Television about my videos

Post by Mongo »

I received an e-mail concerning the use of footage from several of my videos for use in a program to be aired in Japan about the American gun culture. Air date would be Oct 1st, 2010

They selected 3 videos and I noticed a trend out of all the videos I have shot and edited. Two of them have kids and women and the third has Barney the Dino getting his Tannerite just deserts.

The videos are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpNO83fb ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvS4DUpH ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyIiFOuc ... re=related

I am not going to give permission for 2 reasons:

1) I'm not going to spend the time to contact every one in the videos for permission for their faces to be seen or portrayed as American nut jobs by Japanese press.

2) I'm sure the Japanese press will use the footage to portray us as nut jobs.

This guys is why you should always put copyright notices in your videos so they have to ask permission to use them.
Firearms Engineer for hire on piece work basis.
No job is too expensive :)
http://weaponblueprints.com/
stevejobs
Silent But Deadly

Re: Contacted by Japanese Television about my videos

Post by stevejobs »

If they want to do a show on nut jobs they should do a history of their war crimes. That s--t will make your blood curdle worse then any horror movie. You should tell them that.
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

You're in no shape to go out and run people down to sign a release but they do have sort of a sub culture there that like to go to Las Vegas and rent smg's in gun shops to shoot in their ranges.
There are plenty of other people's video's out there that they can use.
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
Mongo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mongo »

After I told them no, they came back and asked how much to buy the rights to the footage. Not ready now to say completely no until I figure out just how much these would be worth. What is it worth?
jreinke
Silent But Deadly

Post by jreinke »

stevejobs wrote:If they want to do a show on nut jobs they should do a history of their war crimes. That s--t will make your blood curdle worse then any horror movie. You should tell them that.
Nanking!
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member1236.png[/img][/url]
WC
Silent But Deadly

Post by WC »

Tell them 1M$. That'll either send them packing or make it worth your while.
Mongo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mongo »

I sent back an e-mail saying "no" and they came back with an offer to buy them and for me to determine what I want to ask for the footage. I replied to that with more questions and here is their latest reply.

My second reply:

What exactly are you wanting from me?
Do you need the original raw footage?
I do not think I have the raw footage for the older stuff and maybe not even the newer. I of course have the final edited footage as seen on Youtube in its uncompressed format.

I can see some issues with selling the footage. The people in the videos have not signed releases so I believe I can not sell the footage of them. Though I personally know most of the people some are not personally known to me and would be near impossible for me to track down and gain permission.
I also do not own the rights to the background music in the videos. I assume you could either gain those rights or remove it by some means from the video footage.

Make me an offer for the footage. I do not know how much its worth and me throwing a very high number out there would just be a waste of our time. You should also consider telling me how much you would pay those people in my videos which you want to show. I will need this before I go ask them if they will sign a release.

I would also like to see the show's final edit before its broadcast. I have several friends that are ex-Japanese nationals that could translate for me if it is only in Japanese. What is the goal of your show when talking about the American gun culture? Are you intending to use this to support some supposition? If so I would like to know what the supposition is. I'm sure I do not need to mention that most press looks dis-favorably on gun ownership and tend to portray us negatively. The people in my video are lawyers, doctors, business owners, police and engineers and not one of us has ever shot a person (except maybe the police).

I have discussed these e-mails with my lawyer, who happens to appear in these videos, and he agrees that I need to obtain permission of those people you wish to use their images. I have added him to this e-mail distribution.

Their reply to this:

Thank you for your prompt response.
NTV in Japan is producing one hour entertainment program which will be aired on Oct. 1st 2010 in Japan. This show will be introduced unique, amazing and interesting stories from all over the world. I am working on only the gun culture in the US or freedoms in the US story.
There is another story from the US about Amish people which I am not working on this.
This is an entertainment program and there would be no political views.
There is a small town which is called Kennesaw in GA where has an interesting ordinance, " Every household requires to have a gun". We were in Kennesaw about 2 weeks ago and filmed gun stores, outdoor shooting ranges, interview with the city of Kennesaw, open carry group, and Georgia carry org's convention etc.
Our aim is to show American freedoms that is written on the 2nd amendment to the US constitution. In Japan, we cannot have guns. Well, we do not have such a freedom.
Our producers in Tokyo want to add more extreme video clips in the program to attract Japanese viewers. Again, our program is not news or documentary. It is an entertainment program.
So I've been looking for some video clips like the world largest Machine gun shooting festival in KY. Our producers in Tokyo want to add a kid shooting gun, woman shooting a gun video clips as well. One of your video clips contains a kid shooting machine gun. I think it is about 5 to 7 seconds and I think our producers want to use this part of your video clip. We do not want to use your music in your video. We understand that you have to get permission from everyone in the video. I guess in this case, you would need to ask father and son.
We cannot offer you a big money because we are not Hollywood or a famous TV show. Our program has very a small budget. We can offer you $300 to $500 for a copy of the DVD. We won't be able to release the final edited tape. This is our company policy. We can give you a copy of the broadcasted DVD.
Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you for your time and have a great Labor day weekend!

So what do you guys think?
TOOL1075
Silent But Deadly

Post by TOOL1075 »

I dunno Mongo....... the whole "we want to show a kid and a woman shooting a machine gun" thing just rubs me the wrong way.

You know - I know - we know - that it's a good thing. But I worry about the context and perception driven by the context.

$500 is nothing - and I don't know if it's worth negative anti-gun propaganda. Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe I'm approaching this too cautiously.... I'm not sure. This is not a straight forward situation in my mind...
https://pewscience.com
PEW Science
Professionally Engineered Weaponeering
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

I would say do whatever you're comfortable doing, if you rather not, don't, once you relinquish your rights that's it, you have no say.
Having said that, for myself I might do it knowing how popular firearms are in Japan as the people can't own any and forbidden fruit is twice as sweet and as the Japs invade Hawaii to play golf they travel to Vagas to rent and shoot so they will have an audience and will rave how free America is that women and children shoot guns too.
But if you decide to go ahead and do it I'd cut out the part where Barney gets sent to plush toy land heaven. :lol:
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
NN4S
Silent But Deadly

Post by NN4S »

Hush wrote:But if you decide to go ahead and do it I'd cut out the part where Barney gets sent to plush toy land heaven. :lol:
But that's my favorite part!!! :wink:
Don T. NN4S
chase
Silent But Deadly

Post by chase »

My $.02 is that it would be easiest to shoot new video that satisfies their requirements and that has no music. Plus, you can include people who are willing to participate and you can control their appearance so they're not very recognizable. I'd do that for the money they're talking about, as shooting for money will be taking place. That's ALWAYS a good thing!
Chase

suppressortools.com
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

I say sell it to them. Let them fear us.:)

"There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."
- Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst or explode, it's not worth shooting.
loony1

Post by loony1 »

stevejobs wrote:If they want to do a show on nut jobs they should do a history of their war crimes. That s--t will make your blood curdle worse then any horror movie. You should tell them that.

ever heard of "nanking"??
"I see dead people"...........Okay i really only see people i want dead!
JohnnyC
Silent But Deadly

Post by JohnnyC »

You should hardcode the Yamamoto quote all over that bitch and send it to them.
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

I thought that was a misquote.
eric10mm
Silent But Deadly

Post by eric10mm »

Stupid Marshall Plan.
SC-Texas
Silent But Deadly

Post by SC-Texas »

Does anyone know about this Japonese station?

What about these producers?

Do they have a history with firearms?
http://www.TexasGunTrust.com

http://www.Houstonattorney.org

http://www.Atomiclabrat.com

Family and Criminal Law services in Houston, TX
jppd47
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by jppd47 »

Theres plenty of anti-gun s--t out there all ready. Will your videos used in a small clip, if it gets turned anti be a big deal? I guess you never know, but I doubt it. Take the money, buy ammo, give to charity, hell see if you can get craig's list to get is adult section back.
pro-gun gun owners are a minority.
Fair Use applies (U.S. Code Title 17 Chapter 1 Subsection 107)
Chris Bar
Silent Operator

Post by Chris Bar »

Apparently they think we can all be bought, that it's just a question of how much. Are they right? They are very adept at persuasion....be cautious of how they can use such footage. edited to stick to the issue
Last edited by Chris Bar on Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ronzo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ronzo »

Mongo, I say sell the rights with the condition that you receive editing rights of the final cut and also that you be granted a consulting fee. And charge them a fortune,Ronnie.
The Gemtech MK9K is the only supressor I use nowadays
bullyforyou
Senior Silent Operator

Post by bullyforyou »

an anti-gun culture cannot produce a pro-gun piece. they may believe they are making a "neutral" program for "entertainment", but it'll be filled with rediculous stereotypes and biased assertions molded by their view of american culture. why do you think they want a clip of a kid with a MG? because they probably have some notion of america where even children can just get access to deadly weapons...

once you sell them the rights, there is nothing to stop them from making a real anti-gun hit piece with it down the road either, or selling it to someone who wants it for that very reason.

it's your footage though.
Last edited by bullyforyou on Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
CanNotHear
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanNotHear »

LOL, Tell'em atleast 100k and then you can buy some nice goodies.
JohnnyC
Silent But Deadly

Post by JohnnyC »

The more I think about this, the more I think you should tell them to go pound sand. Unless they're willing to pay you a lot more than they're offering, and they're willing to give you the right to yank your footage if you're not happy with how they're using it, I don't think it's worth it.
stevejobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by stevejobs »

loony1 wrote:ever heard of "nanking"??
I was thinking more Unit 731, but Nanking is a good example also. Youtube it if you want. I just find it ironic that a country that is critical of Americans being armed is part of the whole reason we want to be armed. I saw an interview with the Japanese commander who orchestrated the attack on Pearl Harbor, and he said the only reason they did not invade the mainland was because he knew most of the citizens were armed.
ottosear
Silent But Deadly

Post by ottosear »

I think $5000 is fair.
But...
Tell them everyone in the U.S. spends their weekends like this. :lol:
THIS is MY safety!