Spacers and tube strength

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

widlin1
Senior Silent Operator

Spacers and tube strength

Post by widlin1 »

I was just perusing old and new posts and have notice on several ocations members state/ask that their tube has wall thickness of X and their spacers of Y so it should be strong enough. I belive that it is incorrect to think that the spacers increase the bursting stregnth of the outter tube. Since the spacers are not a pressure vessel and are on the inside of the silencer tube they do not increase the burst strength because once gas has leaked between the spacer out wall and the tube inner wall all the force is on the tube wall and not the spacer.

Jeff
Mongo
Silent But Deadly

Re: Spacers and tube strength

Post by Mongo »

True but the spacers have to with stand buckling in a non welded core design.
Firearms Engineer for hire on piece work basis.
No job is too expensive :)
http://weaponblueprints.com/
Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wicked »

I understand that spacers in a non-welded core would have little or no effect on the burst strength of the outer tube. How about in a completely sealed welded core design like this? Pretty sure it's an AAC Cyclone. If my impression of the core design is correct, that core is in fact a pressure vessel. It would function as a suppressor all on it's own, even without the outer tube. The outer tube is simply retaining the core, working in conjunction with it -but not taking full pressure.

If correct, that would not be so with the AAC 5.56mm designs using the tapered flash-hider-chamber 'thingie' on the rear - as gasses would have an escape avenue and then fully effect the outer tube exactly as Jeff is saying?

https://www.facebook.com/wickedweapons
Mongo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mongo »

look at the pictures and you will see an error in your assumptions.

sry that's all I'll say
Firearms Engineer for hire on piece work basis.
No job is too expensive :)
http://weaponblueprints.com/
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

on the .223 cans where the tapered ported thingy is, that is where the main tube is at its thickest. from there the tubes are turned down.

yes those are cyclone cores.

kevin has a patent or has applied for a patent on that method of assembly and it describes some of this a little.
NP