Benelli Supernova or Rem 870 Tactical ?

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Benelli Supernova or Rem 870 Tactical ?

Post by YugoRPK »

Been looking for a good tactical ( pistol grip ) pump shotgun. Its down to a 870 or a SuperNova. The SN seems to be hard to find though. Theyre both about the same price. I'm leaning towards the SN because of the 3 1/2 inch chamber which is over the top but not sure that would seal the deal for me. Opinions?
Putting the laughter in manslaughter
-k-
Industry Professional

Re: Benelli Supernova or Rem 870 Tactical ?

Post by -k- »

Imported shotguns have to deal with 922r if you want to add a mag extension.
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

Not in the least bit concerned. Honestly.

Just wanting to know which is the better gun.
phoenix
Silent But Deadly

Post by phoenix »

i have a lightly used Mossy 500 tactical ill let go for $375
-Kyle

JHS27275: "When you throw down the gauntlet, don't be surprised if someone picks it up and slaps the s--t out of you with it."
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

phoenix wrote:i have a lightly used Mossy 500 tactical ill let go for $375
isn't that about what a new one goes for?
phoenix
Silent But Deadly

Post by phoenix »

YugoRPK wrote:
phoenix wrote:i have a lightly used Mossy 500 tactical ill let go for $375
isn't that about what a new one goes for?
sadly, i bought it for $470ish out the door.

not sure :oops:
-Kyle

JHS27275: "When you throw down the gauntlet, don't be surprised if someone picks it up and slaps the s--t out of you with it."
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

I think they got you on pay day.
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

Supernova. Because: Awesome!

Don't price it against the 870. Price it against an 870 with a pistol grip and adjustable sights. Then cry at how much more the 870 is. It's like $2-300 difference. The Supernova has adjustable dot sights with hoods, so the sights are better the whole time. Also the grip is huge and rubbery and made of win (technical term). The Supernova also has a chrome lined barrel. I'm guessing the 870 doesn't because I recently read posts of people saying to polish the chamber of them when you get one. Not polishing chrome ever that I know of. The 870 has an advantage, it is threaded for rem chokes. That I'll never use because it's an 18" barrel and has one purpose: killing stuff that doesn't fly. You'd get a 30" barrel for birds for either gun if you wanted to kill birds.

I like the sling options on the Supernova better as you have the sling loop in the stock, and I like the rail mounts better as well.

Here's a dude using pistol sights but with the side saddle/rail combo. The top of the supernova is drilled and tapped with plastic caps in the holes. So you don't drill into the side of the receiver or use double sided tape to put a side saddle on. You just screw it on. They make a 4, 6, and 8 shell version.

I just use one of these though, with the brass UP so I can pull them up with my left hand to load over into the chamber:

I think Mesa Tactical are the only people making Supernova stuff. It's sad because the gun is so good.

The receiver I believe is aluminum with a plastic coating. So the exterior of the barrel can rust like any other, but the rest of the thing is badassly resistant. Remington makes a Supernova knockoff called the 887 that does this as well. I believe it has a 3.5" chamber but has limited stock options. It might take 870 stocks, but I have no idea and don't care because the Remingtons are so expensive.

It has a magazine shutoff on the underside of the grip, like a 1903 has on the side of the receiver. So you can load a single round whenever you want. It'd come in handy in those shoots where you need to take out a single longer range target with a slug or something similar. I can't really think of much use for the thing.

And lastly, 3.5" buckshot is amazing. It's high velocity and has a huge payload. Fun stuff. I reload for my supernova and saiga-12, and when trying out new loads I use the Supernova because it is built for higher pressures in larger volume. The higher pressure part is the reason I use new loads in it. Awesome to be able to use the big 3.5" stuff in the gun, like all those steel rounds for bird hunting. So I can kill birds with the biggest 12ga stuff that compares to lighter 10ga stuff. It's the perfect choice for one shotgun to do everything.

The 870 has the cool surefire slide grip with the flashlight in it. Supernova needs that. I can't find the collapsing stock for the supernova, but I know that Benelli makes 14" barrels and sliding stocks. If you find the stock, please tell me. Although the magazine extensions made by Benelli are like $400, because Benelli once made shotguns alongside H&K so they too hate you.
-k- wrote:Imported shotguns have to deal with 922r if you want to add a mag extension.
I'm wrong. Listen to how wrong I am and how right -k- is. This sounds right. Lame.

Also, yeah, Mossbergs are CHEAP! But the options I feel are more limited than the Supernova. That magazine tube is fixed, no extending it.
Last edited by Twinsen on Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

I understand that the Nordic tube is machined aluminum and is as good as the factory piece OR that they actually make the extensions for benelli.
-k-
Industry Professional

Post by -k- »

Twinsen wrote:That's for semi autos. All pumps are sporting purpose.
Hate to burst your bubble but the ATF does not agree.
"Restricted Importation...shotguns having a fixed magazine with a capacity of more than 5 cartridges..." http://www.atf.gov/firearms/guides/impo ... ation.html

922 (r) It shall be unlawful for any person to assemble from imported parts any semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun which is identical to any rifle or shotgun prohibited from importation...

My brother has the non tactical SN and he is happy with it, recently got his GF a 20ga. An extra barrel was $100-150 more than an 870 barrel when we looked so factor that in if you want to add a barrel for birds. There are also some rebates going from both companies so check that out as well.

The 3.5" chamber does nothing for me on a tactical shotgun (I prefer low recoil 00) but might if you are also going to shoot birds.
Last edited by -k- on Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

I just checked. I still don't care.

Super Nova Tactical Shotgun ( apparently the last one in the country ) , Extension tube, and tube clamp are on their way. Only thing I don't like about the SN is the lack of choke threads. I know on my Saiga the addition of a choke made the shotgun useful and not just a toy.
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

Ok, I didn't know about that. I will look up the exact wording of 922r later. I thought it applied to semi automatics. I should have put I AM NOT A LAWYER AND AM OFTEN WRONG on that post. Or make that my signature, the wrong part.

/self pity boohoo
-k-
Industry Professional

Post by -k- »

I'm no lawyer myself, just did a bunch of homework when I was interested in a Benelli... The AWB was limited to semi auto shotguns but 922r is whatever the ATF deems unsporting, over 5 rounds in a shotgun was 2004 I think.

Sorry to hijack but I feel people should have the info to make an informed decision.

I agree on the choke making a shotgun more useful, an 18" barrel with the correct choke is great for fast shooting like quail around here. It's funny to see a guy get hung up in the brush with a 30" barrel.
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

I checked with Carlsons and they'll thread the barrel for a choke and include 3 choke tubes for $125 plus $15 for it having a chromed barrel.
ThePatriot
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThePatriot »

YugoRPK wrote:I know on my Saiga the addition of a choke made the shotgun useful and not just a toy.
hmm... I am pretty happy with mine but have thought about getting a choke. Currently it is good for 25 yards or less as far as keeping all the buck in a torso. Yeah, I could use a choke.
"With a girl, there's a lot left in the girl's body without a head. Of course, the personality is gone."

-Edmund Kemper
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

This is what I use...

http://www.ak-builder.com/index.php?dis ... t_id=29982

There are newer ones out that "look" like flash suppressors except they have a winchoke screwed in. A full choke easily doubles the effective range of the gun with bird shot.

YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

OK, the Supernova shotgun is on the way. Now I'm thinking about whether I should get a slug barrel or not. The factory ones are way too expensive but Badger makes an aftermarket barrel for about $220.
-k-
Industry Professional

Post by -k- »

I have mixed feelings about the multi purpose shotgun with different barrels. It's one of the cool things about a shotgun, going from an HD 18" barrel, to a 28" bird barrel, to a rifled slug barrel for deer. The problem I see is if it's your main HD gun and you come home tired from hunting, something goes bump in the night and you have the 28" on it...

Shotguns are also cheap enough (depending on your tastes) that it can be half or more the price of a second shotgun to get a spare barrel.
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

Well, I don't know whether you should buy a slug barrel or not, but for sure don't get one of those threaded chokes and expect anything to come of it.

Also I edited my post where I said it doesn't apply to pumps. It might... apply to pumps. Wonder how many thousands of us don't know it.
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

Twinsen wrote: Wonder how many thousands of us don't know it.

Or don't care
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

People sell the extended magazine tubes, I guess there's a lot of people out there machining themselves 922r compliance parts?
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

Heres mine. Of course I havent got the 922r parts so I put the magazine limiter rod in the extended tube so it won't actually hold 7 round in the tube but still looks like I mean business. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

Just recently saw the sliding stock on another site. Guy got it, I said 922r, it's gone now.
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

I saw one on Ebay a week or so ago . At $385 it hardly seemed with the money.
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

Figured they'd be ridiculously high priced. Because they're Benelli, and they hate you.

So I just read a ton of the GCA and have no idea what constitutes a shotgun that would require it to comply with 922r. It says any shotgun.

All it is says is if you recreate a gun that is identical to one illegal to import. Which people guess means it would have one of the evil features:
- High capacity (greater than 10 round for rifles, 5 rounds for shotgun) magazines
- Pistol grip attachment
- Folding buttstock
- Muzzle device/attachment (to include a threaded barrel capable of receiving a device)
- Bayonet lugs
If your rifle or shotgun incorporates those features, it no longer is considered "suitable for sporting purposes".

But the Benelli Supernova and M2 are imported today with pistol grips. So by the best GUESS of gun owners (because they won't tell you what's illegal until you're in handcuffs) all these Benelli shotguns were illegal to import in the first place.

Also it'd be good to know where the tacstar tube extension is made.