Curious does anyone make a vise like this

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

CThomas
Silent But Deadly

Curious does anyone make a vise like this

Post by CThomas »

When I saw this set up I thought it was pretty ingenius and can serve may purposes. I did an internet search to see if anyone sells a commerical version of this with a base that allows for angle adjustment but came up empty. Yeah drill press tables can angle but. Anyone have any ideas. Thanks

Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Re: Curious does anyone make a vise like this

Post by Selectedmarksman »

I'm no machinist, but that looks like a lathe chuck mounted to a makeshift base.
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
AAA
Industry Professional

Post by AAA »

Google search tilting rotary table.

Most I've see were a standard rotary table with cross slots, but they usually have a spigot hole for mounting a chuck.
I used to have a Vertex one for one of my machines. Ended up selling it when I purchased a Aciera F4 with tilting table.
I made the mistake of selling the F4, and now just use a regular rotary table, and shim one end and measure with a clinometer to get the angle I want.
Tornado Technologies
Mailing Address:
22115 NW Imbrie Drive #181
Hillsboro OR 97124
PH: (503)690-8000
Web: www.tornado-technologies.com
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Also add to list Sherline's tilting angle table [[ http://www.sherline.com/3750inst.pdf ]].

Sears had a heavy duty tilting vise ( I do not know why I aways want to spell it 'vice'. :) ].

I take an old Dunlap lathe 4 jaw chuck, mount it onto a rectangular block to be captured
in the vise.
CThomas
Silent But Deadly

Post by CThomas »

Yep it is a lathe chuck mounted on a make shift base.

The key word rotary table (I had no idea) turned up a ton of options with some over $1,000 :shock:
I was using the term tilting lathe chuck vise in my original google search which gave me nada

I think Historian's comment about mounting a lathe chuck onto a rectangular block to be captured
in vise or on the sherline tilting table is the ticket and cheapest options.

Thanks guys
JohnnyO
Silent But Deadly

Post by JohnnyO »

Do a search for a Dividing head, thats what I use for this set up in my mill.
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

They also make these with a nose that accepts 5C collets. Very handy devices. If you can afford one, you will make use of it once in a while, but it's not an everyday tool. But when you DO need it, it's definitely valuable.