TiRant 9 vs Osprey 9 - youtube

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Mageever
Silent But Deadly

Re: TiRant 9 vs Osprey 9 - youtube

Post by Mageever »

Davo5o wrote:Higher pitch sounds fade more quickly.

It may sound less pleasant up close, but stand 20-30 paces away from the two when someone else is shooting, and see how each one sounds from distance.
This is true in principle and I've said the same thing in the past. But... the human ear also picks up higher pitched sounds much better than lower ones. To the tune of a 10 dB difference appearing to be equally loud. Sometimes a higher pitched silencer will also have the same lower tones but you can't hear them because your ear "wants" to hear the higher frequencies. Other times a lower pitched silencer sounds quieter because it actually is--it has cut out the highs. In other words you can actually hear the lower tones because the can is suppressing really well.

So, if you did stand back a ways and let the high frequencies get soaked up, you'd probably still notice the lower-toned can as quieter (or maybe even equal provided they are making the same low frequency sound). A fun experiment in any case.

Also, a large factor in all of this is the host weapon. A huge amount of sound can come from one weapon that opens earlier than another.

Thanks for the review wi75.
telsonman

Post by telsonman »

good review. I think the osprey9 sounds a lot better. I'm waiting for one of the AAC guys to come and say you did something wrong and thats why their can doesn't sound quieter.
2manygunz
Silent But Deadly

Post by 2manygunz »

As an aside, I'm running a TiRant9 on a Sig226 and have had zero failures to cycle on a range of ammo, including the subsonic you use in your testing.

(No ball-busting on pics. I don't have the set-up with me. :) )
wi75
Silent But Deadly

Post by wi75 »

zero failures with my G19 and tirant. Just doesn't want to run on my Glock 26. I guess if I screwed around with the springs some...but I don't want to do that.
TOOL1075
Silent But Deadly

Post by TOOL1075 »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fletcher%E ... son_curves

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour

required reading for any silencer enthusiast, in my opinion... (the abscissa is frequency)
https://pewscience.com
PEW Science
Professionally Engineered Weaponeering
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

telsonman wrote:good review. I think the osprey9 sounds a lot better. I'm waiting for one of the AAC guys to come and say you did something wrong and thats why their can doesn't sound quieter.
wow, such pessimism! :D

Everyone should shoot them for themselves and check them out. Competition is good for everyone. There are more good choices for everyone right now than ever before, and at SHOT there will be even more.

The only thing wrong would be listening to video for accurate representation of gunshots- no matter what can is being used.
Kick Ass Design
Cnacki

Post by Cnacki »

JasonAAC wrote:
telsonman wrote:good review. I think the osprey9 sounds a lot better. I'm waiting for one of the AAC guys to come and say you did something wrong and thats why their can doesn't sound quieter.

Everyone should shoot them for themselves and check them out. Competition is good for everyone. There are more good choices for everyone right now than ever before, and at SHOT there will be even more.

The only thing wrong would be listening to video for accurate representation of gunshots- no matter what can is being used.

That is what I love to hear! :D
Last edited by Cnacki on Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

JasonAAC wrote:at SHOT there will be even more.
Blackbox? Joking, but actually, I guess I wouldn't be surprised to see AAC get a jump on Silencerco by releasing an eccentric can. Kind of odd though if they already dethrone their top of the line can so soon.
telsonman

Post by telsonman »

JasonAAC wrote:

I'm just F'n with you. I think yalls SPR/M4 can is straight up badass, as is the TiRant45. Notice how you don't see anyone comparing the TiRant 45 to anything.

Has anyone made videos showing the different reference points? I've seen the charts where they measured decibels, and I know that they have all the ear, 1m away, etc crap, but I'm talking video with sound. Sure a video doesn't do it justice, but still
Mageever
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mageever »

TOOL1075 wrote:Image

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fletcher%E ... son_curves

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour

required reading for any silencer enthusiast, in my opinion... (the abscissa is frequency)
You nailed it! Sorry about that--I thought I linked that in my post, but I must have accidentally deleted it. One thing to mention is that in the dB ranges we're talking about it's still theoretical because nobody has done the testing yet. From observation it seems to hold true, though.